Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

VeloNews predictions

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

VeloNews predictions

Postby FAQinc » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:29 pm

Saw this yesterday but the thing that really stood out for me was hydraulic disc brakes for road bikes.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/01/ ... ere_154425

I personally like the idea as disc brakes have come a long way and seems like a step forward and opens up a lot of possibilities in road rim design :grin:

What are your thoughts?
Flatulence for men the musk that lingers.
FAQinc
Cat 2

Re: VeloNews predictions

Postby Oilman » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:06 pm

There is no use for disc brakes on a roadbike. The tires limit the braking, not the brakes.
Oilman
Cat 3

Postby j0m » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:38 pm

To me it seems like a properly designed disc brake would make more sense than a rim brake. What would be the disadvantages of disc brakes? (I must confess that I didn't read the linked article. Maybe I should...)
j0m
The Big Brain

Postby Ypsylon » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:02 pm

Oilman wrote:There is no use for disc brakes on a roadbike. The tires limit the braking, not the brakes.

But what is "the braking"?

I have a gut feeling that this is not always true. Especially in the wet disc brakes could provide better better stoping power. Modulation would most likely be superior as well. Also discs would be cheaper to replace than rims.

Not sure about the bracing angle for front hubs, but otherwise I just don't see any downsides, except maybe weight and compatibility at first.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby Fuchs » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:52 pm

i would not like disc brakes on roadbikes but they would make some sense

- better braking in the wet
- could make them more aero than normal brakes
- cheaper to replace
- you could change the rim design to an more aero shape plus that they could weigh less
- you could make a better shape for carbon clincher rims wich still weigh less than good alu clinchers and are reliable
Fuchs
Cat 2

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:31 am

For years I've always like the idea of a hydraulic disc equipped road bike. Makes an awful lot of sense especially in our wintry conditions or for CX bikes.
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby FAQinc » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:47 am

http://www.factor001.com/gallery/the-bike

These guys had a stab and apparently they are hydraulic but the levers look like a weird erection pardon my french also LEDs don't help.
FAQinc
Cat 2

Postby madcow » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:32 pm

I don't see any real drawback to discs on the road other than Andy mentioned which is reduced bracing angle. Obviously a big disc may be too easy to break traction on a narrow road tire, but a 110mm disc setup could be pretty cool and would allow rim manufacturers to go in all sorts of new directions with their rim designs.

Volagi is already making a disc equipped road bike, but they are using cabled discs. I think the doppelmoppel is now available so a combination of those two could be interesting, of course the doppelmoppel isn't the most elegant looking solution but for a toe in the water it's a good start.
madcow
Dork Overlord

Postby Mike K. » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:43 pm

This is a intriguing thread. I'm thinkin' Brembo.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Mike K.
Cat 1

Postby FAQinc » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:13 pm

When I saw some dopplemopple pics from Eurobike I thought it was a very tidy/clever solution my only concern was how will this effect lever/braking feedback, would be good to find a good ride report, also I remember reading somewhere that they are working on a smaller version. In the meantime though Ashima had this stem conversion for their road hydrailic magura imitations

http://www.bikeradar.com/gallery/articl ... 2Fimage#12

wonder if it could be paired with one of their new PCB pistonless calipers?

It would be really cool to see something like this on a project bike someday maybe integrated in the stem "cough madcow cough"
FAQinc
Cat 2

Return to General cycling