Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Light pedales

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Light pedales

Postby concept64 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:19 am

A few months ago I stumbled upon a photo of a prototype Speedplay and found the bright idea.

Unfortunately this product is not available at the moment, which led me to think about how to make and improve this product.
Here are the results

I want to say that THIS IS INTENDED TO SHARE MY PASSION AND DID NOT FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSE.

the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF7fTEbgdhk

Last edited by concept64 on Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
concept64
Cat 4

Re: Light pedales

Postby dunlinii » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:30 pm

Like the song :D

Seriously though that is well done. Are you a machinist in your job, or is it just a hobby, although by the look of the tooling it looks professional? Also, have you ridden them? And what material did you make them from, it looks like BDMS, but my computer doesn't show the pics great, they are sure light?
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby concept64 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:41 pm

thanks for this work is my job but just this year i learn by my self
for this pédale i use for the body the AL 7075 T6 for the axes and the plates and the scews in Titanium TA6V4
and this is the

but is possible to do lighter whith just on plate

and will be very light i think under 100gr
becose is 2 plates less

2 screws (is half shorter)

20% of the body

is 16,6gr less
concept64
Cat 4

Postby dunlinii » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:45 pm

I noticed the slot in the drawings with one plate. That is a nice touch.

From one machinist to another, that is nice work, another question, what method do you use to cut the hex in the body?
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby concept64 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:56 pm

dunlinii wrote:I noticed the slot in the drawings with one plate. That is a nice touch.

From one machinist to another, that is nice work, another question, what method do you use to cut the hex in the body?

thanks but is the my first year :oops: :oops:
i'm very lucky my landlord is i great machinit when i'm stock if help me alto :oops:

is the tool for making the hex (and you can use with the Mill machin or the turn)
is the video
http://www.slatertools.com/video.htm
concept64
Cat 4

Postby dunlinii » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:03 am

Cool, we only make very precise and odd forms, so we use EDM, but its interesting to see that broaching works like that in a smaller environment. It is a clever tool.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:44 am

Nice song, nice work and nice pedals.

I hadn't realised that you were a machinist dunlinii, not sure if you ever mentioned it before? EDM is high tech. Is it mould work you're doing (as you mention 'forms') or something else?

We've been working with a company for a little while that does metal sintering. I'm impressed by how well that works and the achievable accuracy as well. I love hi-tech! 8)
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby dunlinii » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:59 pm

Wasn't always a machinist. I am not for rolls, but do a bit of welding too. Before I worked in a garage, but did a fair amount of machine work there. It started as just a hobby to be honest.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby concept64 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:55 am

Fibre-Lyte wrote:Nice song, nice work and nice pedals.

I hadn't realised that you were a machinist dunlinii, not sure if you ever mentioned it before? EDM is high tech. Is it mould work you're doing (as you mention 'forms') or something else?

We've been working with a company for a little while that does metal sintering. I'm impressed by how well that works and the achievable accuracy as well. I love hi-tech! 8)

I am like you and that is the reason for which I work with the CN turn and CN mill
it allows me to make molds and qualities to do a lot of small parts

or to repair the frame lake the one

concept64
Cat 4

Postby dunlinii » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:32 pm

You will both enjoy this link:

Machining a CF mould, then the CF itself. Stephen, you need to get yourself one of these babies!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2PfxiJZ ... ature=fvwp
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby concept64 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:13 pm

so great..... magic

what I like most with machine tools that can make dreams but a reality.

this is the photo of the tools (Torx and hex)
10mm i can use on the Mill or the turn (it depand the part)

concept64
Cat 4

Postby dunlinii » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:20 pm

Yes they can, but sometimes they can be a massive pain. What machines do you use, brandwise? I also just watched the video again, and one of my favourite parts is the fixture plates. Any chance of some pictures of those?

Thanks.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby concept64 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:29 am

dunlinii wrote:Yes they can, but sometimes they can be a massive pain. What machines do you use, brandwise? I also just watched the video again, and one of my favourite parts is the fixture plates. Any chance of some pictures of those?

Thanks.

the machine is EMCO (F1 / Compact5 and PC120)

concept64
Cat 4

Return to General cycling