Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Carbone sole

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: Carbone sole

Postby Jeffr » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:18 am

I think I'm not going to get enough of the heel to conform to the mold unless I vacuum bag it or make a two piece mold.

It'll be easier for me to make a two piece mold. I can just layup some fiberglass on top of what I've already made. What I want to know though, is should I first layup some gelcoat and then also coat that with wax and pva? This would take up some space between the two molds so there will be room for the carbon. Or will the carbon compress enough that I can take two identical molds and sandwich it between? I suspect it won't be a great fit that way.
Jeffr
The Man in Black

Postby concept64 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:38 am

if the plaster mold is the problem you can do with other materials such as clay or wax.
regarding the reaction of your bedding should be careful about the temperature of the room where you work and determination if you use too much hardener polymerization creates high temperature
concept64
Cat 4

Postby Jeffr » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:16 am

Well I got the mold apart and popped my carbon pieces out. The resin on top of the part was really cloudy. I wonder if I didn't let the PVA dry enough? Or if the wax I used somehow polluted the top layer? It looks really ugly. The other problem was that I got bubbles between the mold and the part. The areas where the bubbles were look much nicer but obviously do not leave a smooth surface. So it requires a lot of sanding.

Also, since I molded in the whole toe area, I can't get the insole in the shoe! I'm going to have to cut most of it off.

I'll post pictures later.
Jeffr
The Man in Black

Postby Jeffr » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:17 am

One more thing, I used only 6 layers and it's stiff as can be.
Jeffr
The Man in Black

Postby pritchet74 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:58 am

Hell ya post some pics Jeff!
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby concept64 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:37 am

carbon is not working very hard but it's like painting (Airbrush) is all the preparation, the mold must be as smooth as possible, the assay is accurate and resin temperature of the room and of course the quality of resin
(R & G is very good and very fluid) there is a machine for removing the bubbles, we also placed the fabric and apply resin with a roller to remove the bubble.

jeffr
your arche is big you should suport it after you make a carbone sole
concept64
Cat 4

Postby Jeffr » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:42 am

Here's a photo of the insoles as they are now. I could spend two days sanding to get them as nice looking as concept64 but I don't think my feet will appreciate all that. I have great respect for those who make well finished carbon products after this. It takes a lot of time and is quite messy. There is glue, carbon dust, carbon scraps, fiber glass scraps, chemical fumes, etc. Lots of careful work. I sanded away too much in a few places and will have to live with it for now.

I ended up cutting off the toes between the metatarsal joints and the end of the toe so I couldn't feel the edge. There was no way to get these in the shoe otherwise. They are still a bit wide and require a lot of force to insert but they feel great. I will do some rides and report back.

The pair weighs 82 grams. I may make another set and use only 4 layers of carbon instead of 6. This would make the pair around 50-60 grams and make it slightly flexible. I may also consider something like extra layers on the bottom and fewer in the sides and toe area.

I'll also post pictures with the suede in.
Attachments
carbonfeet2.jpg
Jeffr
The Man in Black

Postby Jeffr » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:49 am

Now with suede!
Jeffr
The Man in Black

Postby concept64 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:59 pm

WELL DONE :applause: :applause: