Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

kcnc pulleys

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

kcnc pulleys

Postby ninjanoir78 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:23 pm

Hi, I have a sram red derailleur, I'm looking for a pulley, kcnc or token.. I would like to know if someone has this setup with kcnc, because my LBS told me, he think with kcnc we can not use the kcnc bolts, because the sram red bolts are longer or something like that??

could you give me some infos about that... on kcnc or token pulley on red derailleur??

and.. what about 10t or 11t.. I know nothing on that,, can I use 2 11t or 1x11t and 1x10t.. or maybe I can use one 12t and one 11t ? and which one goes on top

thanks
Jimmy Rancourt
ninjanoir78
Cat 5

Re: kcnc pulleys

Postby dunlinii » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:04 pm

I used to have this setup, and as far as i can remember, the bolt on one of the pulleys (I can't remember which) was the wrong size for the sram rear mech, which meant that you couldn't screw it in properly. I got around this at first by using the wrong size bolt, and just over tightening the bolt so it was gripped by the bearing caps. In the end it turned out that the shimano bearing caps fit both the pulley wheel, and the sram mech. As far as teeth are concerned, just use the same number that are on the mech in the first place, some people know a lot more about the no of teeth on rear mechs, so I'll let them, but I think you can end up jamming them if you put too many teeth in there. Not sure about fewer teeth though. Anyway, thats my two cents.
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby larry_ck » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:42 pm

I used Carbon-Ti "X-Jockey" bolts in my Red Mech and carbon pulleys from an online auction site - so I can not comment on the KCNC pulleys. But, from memory the bottom bolt was M5 thread 16mm long and the top bolt M4 (correct me someone if I'm wrong - I know it was smaller) 19mm long. I hope this helps.
larry_ck
Cat 4

Postby dunlinii » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:46 pm

That sounds about right. I take it your going for the aesthetic approach ninjanoir?
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:31 am

larry_ck is correct, the top bolt on the Sram Force and Red mechs is an M4, the bottom one being M5. Shimano and Campag use M5 in both. As for the pulley size, 11t in both will be fine. You can go larger but tbh I wouldn't bother, I don't see the need on a standard set up.
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby ninjanoir78 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:21 pm

thanks guys..... so i can use a kcnc bolt for the bottom and keep the red bolt for the top?
Jimmy Rancourt
ninjanoir78
Cat 5

Postby Boonen » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:34 pm

ninjanoir78 wrote:thanks guys..... so i can use a kcnc bolt for the bottom and keep the red bolt for the top?

Yes, or you could replace the top one with an M4 bolt.

I'd just stick with the 11t pulleys and not experiment to much :impish:
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby ninjanoir78 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:56 am

I think we can use 11t and 12t...
Jimmy Rancourt
ninjanoir78
Cat 5

Postby larry_ck » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:24 pm

KCNC (and most other after-market) pulleys use a dia 5mm hole so you’ll need a shim (aluminium tube 5mm OD 4.1mm ID) over the M4 bolt to increase its diameter to 5mm otherwise to keep the pulley wheel aligned or you could just tighten up the upper bolt and rely on the clamping forces of the plates!
larry_ck
Cat 4

Return to General cycling