Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

How does this work?

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: How does this work?

Postby dunlinii » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:48 pm

I don't think I've every paid a fee, because its normally just a bill for a couple of pound, but I will check. That does seem a bet sneaky charging 10% to remove the VAT though.
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:51 pm

The last non-europe package we got sent here was with DHL (I think) and they certainly added an admin charge. I'd have to check our last FedEx bill, but did you compare the duty you should have paid versus what you did pay Yps and were the they same? Just a link for you I quickly googled, they mention FedEx admin charges here
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby dunlinii » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:08 pm

Thats kinda surprises me the link does. Thats a lot of money.
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:38 am

I'm not totally sure of the rules and regs these days dunlinii, but the absolute minimum you should have to pay is 20 percent VAT (used to be 17.5 percent). There is also customs duty which can vary considerably depending on the product. If I remember rightly, import duty on cars used to be around 20 percent, but I'm not sure about bike parts. This might help you understand things a little more?
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby dunlinii » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:31 pm

Thanks for the link, as I say, I've never thought about it before, I just assumed the fee you get from the delivery company was for what I thought of as 'taxes'. But yeah, thanks.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:19 pm

If you go and pick it up then you get refunded the VAT when you leave the country I believe. Good excuse for a Germany trip, no?

Perhaps you have the frequent flier miles for a free Europe trip?
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby stumpytrunks » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:11 pm

dalai wrote: As much as I like to support the LBS, when we can get say bike tyres cheaper than the Australian distributor sells them to the LBS I have to go with my wallet.

Cheaper than the Australian importers cost price at times for at least one brand!
Pain hurts
stumpytrunks
The Tassie Devil

Postby Gumgardner » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:55 pm

I tried to contact AX. No response. ActuallyI haven't had a response from them in over 2 months.
Gumgardner
Cat 2

Previous

Return to General cycling