Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Berk PROTO-TYPE 3

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: Berk PROTO-TYPE 3

Postby ... » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:50 pm

philolson wrote:what ratio of resin to CF do you achieve??? I am just about to start on a TT frame for my daughter

It depends on which resin do you use etc.,..? You can write me on PM if I didn't get you right.

BMANX wrote:With such craftsmanship it almost pains me that you have to use a Ritchey Stubby. I would think that you could come up with something more innovative but I do understand why you are using it. As mentioned before I would love to see the seat bonded to the ISP or at least make the top of the post scalloped and then make your own cradle like you did for the Cervelo posts (which by the way is still working amazingly well) and buy some yokes and make your own integrated post. You could re-enforce the top of the tube and put the horizontal section through the ISP and have a very cool and very light set up. Just my thought.

I see that some of you would really love to see it with an integrated saddle! I get the Stubby and somehow I want to use it, but more as I think, more likely I'll make an integrated saddle :twisted:...anyway, why not, if I would like I could still cut the saddle and use the Stubby, or cut the ISP and use my own combo...will see :wink: .. I'm still working on the dropouts, it will probably take me quite a lot of time to make them, but it will be worth it.
H a n d m a d e I n S l o v e n i a
Cat 1

Postby BMANX » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:07 pm

Hey no pressure from us as it is your bike but you are doing such amazing work that I would love to see what you could do to maybe combine a few items to make a very seamless build. I just think it would allow for such an amazingly clean bike. It was your bike that made me go with internal run cabling on my English build. With my build it was important to me to have it look as clean as possible so I think you have the skill to make this look so amazingly clean that people would have to look twice to really figure it out.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Cervelo SLC 5890g/12.98lbs
BMANX
Cat 1

Postby Ypsylon » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:57 pm

I'm not sure what BMAN thought, but I thought a truly integrated seatpost would be really nice.

See what I mean?

http://www.light-bikes.de/fotos/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=10572&g2_serialNumber=5
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby ... » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:00 pm

No problem, it won't cost me anything, also a lot of friends are recommending the same. The only reason why I would make it with stubby is just because the settings...I can make also an "integrated saddle stubby" just for my measures 8-) (!) will see, I really have "free hands" and that's the very best by it!

I like to hear your opinions and of course they're welcome :thumbUp:
Cat 1

Postby ... » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:06 pm

Ypsylon wrote:I'm not sure what BMAN thought, but I thought a truly integrated seatpost would be really nice.

See what I mean?

http://www.light-bikes.de/fotos/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=10572&g2_serialNumber=5

It would be even lighter if I would make it like an "integrated saddle stubby", and I could still use the Ritchey Stubby (if I would like to give the frame for a test ride to a friend etc.). Probably that would be the best way...will see, I first have to make the frame :mrgreen:
Cat 1

Postby BMANX » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:15 pm

I know what I was thinking. Two options since his skill set is amazing.

Option #1 - Exactly like the one shown in the picture.

Option #2 - Seat bonded to the ISP and absolutely now mounting hardware. Berk has done a seat/seat post bonded together so the next logical step is to bond the seat directly to the ISP and have no hardware whatsoever.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BMANX
Cat 1

Postby ... » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:30 pm

First of all thanks for the compliments!
BMANX wrote:Option #2 - Seat bonded to the ISP and absolutely now mounting hardware. Berk has done a seat/seat post bonded together so the next logical step is to bond the seat directly to the ISP and have no hardware whatsoever.

There are really a lot of options... 8-)
Cat 1

Postby BMANX » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:26 pm

That is what I am talking about. The next evolution in the frame is to bond the saddle right to the ISP and just forget about everything else. The lightest option going and obviously Berk has the skill to pull it off.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BMANX
Cat 1

Postby dunlinii » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:32 pm

So now you have to figure out a way of moulding the handlebars into the fork while the fork can still steer...great stuff. Real innovation.

@Bman, I will try to get a pic when I see him on shift again.
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby BMANX » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:41 am

Maybe not moulded but if you built the stem, handlebars and 25% of the steerer into one piece and the fork with 75% of the steerer and had a coupling system like that used on the Campy Cranks, I bet someone with some skills could pull it off. You would have to be very percise to preload the headset but it could be done and it would be light I would think. The nice thing would be that you would never have to line up your stem and forks again as it would be done perfectly straight every time. If I had the skills to do what Berk is doing you could see something amazing but I just have the thoughts and no skill.

If I had Berk's skill I would have one set of handlebars with a bonded stem/bar set up and I would also have bonded aerobar extensions on there as well but in my config which would not be like anything standard now. l would also have a killer set up on the bars running Di2 and the third version of my frame would be fully Di2 compatible with internal battery.

Berk we should talk offline one day.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BMANX
Cat 1

Postby ... » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:11 pm

You're right :wink:. I note all my ideas and I already have a notebook with more than 35 pages - I sure won't be bored when I'll have some more free time because I have a lot of experimenting to do :grin:..
Cat 1

Postby dunlinii » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:18 pm

Yeah I think I see what you mean. It could work that you preload the system from in the middle, as in pull the two sections together instead of pulling the whole thing 'up' if you see what I mean. Anyway, yeah it boils down to wishing I had massive CF skillzzzz.
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby BMANX » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:54 pm

Exactly as I am the idea guy but no skillzzzz what so ever.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BMANX
Cat 1

Postby dunlinii » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:15 pm

Yeah, only skilzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz in metal work. but no CF. And now no bikes are made of metal just as i get the skilzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I should stop saying it like that :oops:
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby dunlinii » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:28 pm

How is the build going? Or have you been to busy, really excited :grin:
dunlinii
Cat 1

PreviousNext

Return to General cycling