Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Berk PROTO-TYPE 3

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: Berk PROTO-TYPE 3

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:17 pm

Freakin' incredible....
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby ... » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:33 pm

Thanks!

Also the seat-tube will be soon finished...and then I'll make the most specific part - dropouts. Will keep you updated :wink:
H a n d m a d e I n S l o v e n i a
Cat 1

Postby ... » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:41 am

Seat-tube

All the tubes are already made 8-)

810mm (for 34.9mm Stubby)

169.6g

Rough tube, UD look:
Still some work to do on the surface - the "parallelogram pattern" won't be seen after I'll make some more work on the surface (it's just the product of the procedure). The surface will have at the end a pure UD look (like I made it for the saddle&seatpost combo).

The seatpost will be integrated and I'll use Ritchey Stubby (34.9mm).

I still have to make the dropouts, hopefully I'll manage to make them next week,...And after that I have to cut all the tubes, shape them, some details,...I just can't wait!
Cat 1

Postby skimons » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:53 pm

you might have mentioned in your earlier threads, but what kind of molds do you use or how is your procedure more or less? it looks all industrial made to me, i.e. i tried making something of carbon myself, but that was WAY from the cleanliness and with MUCH more resin/epoxy left overs.. not even to mention the tolerances... RESPECT!

will the drop outs be like the former ones or are you planning to make them from carbon as well... cool if it works out..
skimons
Cat 4

Postby dunlinii » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:27 pm

Again amazing stuff. We are trying to do some CF stuff at work (not me personally) but it is amazing how you are achieving so much when hundreds of highly paid engineers can't make our project work!!
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby ... » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:14 am

skimons wrote:you might have mentioned in your earlier threads, but what kind of molds do you use or how is your procedure more or less? it looks all industrial made to me, i.e. i tried making something of carbon myself, but that was WAY from the cleanliness and with MUCH more resin/epoxy left overs.. not even to mention the tolerances... RESPECT!

will the drop outs be like the former ones or are you planning to make them from carbon as well... cool if it works out..

First of all thanks!
Maybe the biggest "secret" of my procedure is that I don't work with any excess of the resin (!). So all the work is pure precision - from the proportion of the epoxy mixture (very important - I use top-quality epoxy, the same as two big companies here in Slovenia, maybe you know them: www.akrapovic.com/ & http://www.pipistrel.si/), very important is also the proportion between the weight of resin and carbon fibre. And finally also the precise carbon work. Not everytime is everything perfect, so you need also a lot of patience and endurance. But unfortunately I'm financial limited with my projects, because I have A LOT of interesting projects on paper but can't start with them at the moment (also because my free time). I mainly work with pressure and the moulds are made with two halfs. It also depends for wich tube etc.,..

The drop outs will be 100% carbon fibre!

Except the "hanger" (I'll use the same as Scott does):

dunlinii wrote:Again amazing stuff. We are trying to do some CF stuff at work (not me personally) but it is amazing how you are achieving so much when hundreds of highly paid engineers can't make our project work!!

What can I say, really thanks a lot! Probably I'm the only one who knows how exactly I make all the stuff, but I want to show that it's possible (!). A lot of people said to me that I'm mad and that I can't make a frame by my own...but hey, I made it, rode for 3000km without any problem and even raced with it on one race :mrgreen:. And the next one is in process, this time even lighter, improved, better,...I sure won't stop with my work, somehow I'm addicted to it :mrgreen:...and I just can't wait that I finish this project...to test it, research it,...and start a new one :mrgreen:
Cat 1

Postby FAQinc » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:44 am

@ dunlinii no offense but I find comfort in the fact that hundreds of engineers are trying to make carbon bits for jet engines(or is it?) rather than one very highly skilled neo pro in Slovenia

P.S.due to your current employers name do you guys get any discount on Royce hubs I've bin dreaming for one for ages?
Flatulence for men the musk that lingers.
FAQinc
Cat 2

Postby dunlinii » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:13 pm

Yeah it is the jet engines, and its probably a good thing that there are hundreds of them. To me its just a funny comparison, even though I know the two applications are very different. And no, we don't get a discount :( I think they are nothing to do with us lol but having just looked them up they sure do look sweet.
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby skimons » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:38 pm

well, for that matter, none of the guys at our engineering dept (heavy duty GT's) is allowed to touch my bike, but the guys in the workshop are :D
skimons
Cat 4

Postby FAQinc » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:38 am

@dunlinii I had a hunch you might not but you never know what's possible in the jet age, I was lucky enough to ride a wheelset with those hubs and open pro rims on a old Hetchins it was just a lap of Richmond park but I think I was gliding plus feeling supper cool :D

@... since you mentioned your previous prototypes ride a bit like track bikes have you thought of using different dropouts for your next build? If you put a silly low gear ratio you will look cool on the streets of London riding around brakeless ;)
Flatulence for men the musk that lingers.
FAQinc
Cat 2

Postby ... » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:02 pm

It would be interesting :mrgreen: ...

Some news about PROTO-TYPE 3:
I already started with the design of the dropouts - first I have to make the mould for them, so I'm first working on the model.

I calculated that the final weight of them should be just cca. 50-55g. On my previous frame (PROTO-TYPE 2) I used ALU dropouts from Deda and the weight of them was 112g. Quite a nice weight saving here...will keep you updated, hopefully I'll soon manage to continue with the work!

Just one more photo of all the rough tubes, the "dropout hanger" and stubby:
Cat 1

Postby philolson » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:19 pm

what ratio of resin to CF do you achieve??? I am just about to start on a TT frame for my daughter
philolson
Cyclotourist

Postby BMANX » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:12 pm

With such craftsmanship it almost pains me that you have to use a Ritchey Stubby. I would think that you could come up with something more innovative but I do understand why you are using it. As mentioned before I would love to see the seat bonded to the ISP or at least make the top of the post scalloped and then make your own cradle like you did for the Cervelo posts (which by the way is still working amazingly well) and buy some yokes and make your own integrated post. You could re-enforce the top of the tube and put the horizontal section through the ISP and have a very cool and very light set up. Just my thought.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Cervelo SLC 5890g/12.98lbs
BMANX
Cat 1

Postby dunlinii » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:25 pm

A guy at work just machined himself a seatpost out of a solid block, which is pretty cool. Could you do something like that but obviously just the top bit?
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby BMANX » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:38 pm

Would love to see a pic of that.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Cervelo SLC 5890g/12.98lbs
BMANX
Cat 1

PreviousNext

Return to General cycling