Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Berk PROTO-TYPE 3

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Berk PROTO-TYPE 3

Postby ... » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:51 pm

Hi!

Maybe you already know me, if not, just a quick introduction:
I'm 18 (and a half) years old and an U23 Continental cyclist from Slovenia (Europe). Beside of cycling my big passion is also making carbon fibre components. My dream is to succeed as a pro cyclist or (if not as a pro cyclist) I would love to have my own company some day...

My symbol is ..., and Berk is my surename.

This topic is about a new frame. A birth of a new frame, called PROTO-TYPE 3.

I already made 2 frames and some other components...the second frame (topic "Berk PROTO-TYPE 2") was really a big success for me.
But I want to make it even better! It's sure possible, so that is also the reason that I'll make another road frame. I already know how to improve a few details and reduce the weight of the frame, with similar stiffness. My aim is SUB 1000g.

Everything is handmade by myself.

Berk PROTO-TYPE 3

Scheme of the frame:
Just to let you know what's already made...

Downtube...

...the inside:

Will post more photos and news soon...

Hope you'll like it - any comments etc. are welcome!
H a n d m a d e I n S l o v e n i a
Cat 1

Re: Berk PROTO-TYPE 3

Postby skimons » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:11 pm

berk, good luck!

saw your previous build, stunning performance. when your riding equals your DIY-skills, becoming a pro would not be an issue :)

any reason for choosing a round downtube instead of the square one of version 2?
skimons
Cat 4

Postby ... » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:33 pm

Thanks!

The round tube should be a bit stiffer than the square one by the same/lower weight :dunno:, and the frame will be a bit more round shaped :grin:

This frame (PROTO-TYPE 3) won't take me a lot of work time. Tomorrow I'll go on a training camp with my team (till 30 December) and after that I'll continue with the work. I already made the moulds for the tubes at the end of the season, and most of the tubes for this frame are already done!

I'll use the same tube for the headtube and the downtube. The inside diameter is 44mm (for press-fit headsets) and the outside diameter is 47mm.

105cm of the tube

265g and 105cm

Mention that the tube is still rough, without any work on the surface jet:

And of course I had to cut the tube:

Headtube:
160mm

Downtube:

I still have to precise cut the end of the tube and of course shape it (right angle and "groove"), that it will fit perfectly when I'll glue the tubes together... At the end the downtube should weight just under 160g.

Also the BB will be for press-fit bearings (41mm), carbon fibre tube, 86.5mm wide.

Will keep you updated. If possible also during my training-camp, because I already have "some news in stock" :wink:
Cat 1

Postby ... » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:55 pm

Chainstays

17mm x 14.5mm

490mm each, so I'll still have to cut them. The surface is still rough,...

This is it for today! Greetings from Pokljuka (Slovenia) where I have a training-camp with my team (till Friday). On 19.12 there was the biathlon world cup and it's really great to train here!
Cat 1

Postby ... » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:10 pm

Bottom bracket - BB

Carbon fibre BB for press-fit bearings (41mm).

Just the base tube, after the joint will be reinforced the tube should be cca. 3.5mm thick.

BB with Truvativ bearing (for Sram crankset)

It's really very tight, just like it should be (with hands it's "impossible" to insert the bearing, but with a little bit help it's just perfect!)

When I'll come home I'll still have quite a lot of work to do...just can't wait!

Still quite a lot of work to do...

P.S.
You can follow the build also on WW - http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... 10&t=80684
Last edited by ... on Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cat 1

Postby ... » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:11 pm

Cat 1

Postby dalai » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:56 am

Just because your work is amazing, I'll forgive you just this once that Proto-type 3 wasn't a TT bike... :wink:
dalai
Cat 1

Postby ... » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:21 pm

dalai wrote:Just because your work is amazing, I'll forgive you just this once that Proto-type 3 wasn't a TT bike... :wink:

OK, thanks! :grin: :wink:

I have just one question if anybody knows:
I'm interested which "beauty layer" has the 3T FUNDA PRO fork??? Is it UD, 3K,..? Because I have that fork and I want to remove the decals and paint,...but I'm interested what is under the paint, because the frame "beauty layer" :roll:

Probably it's UD and I'll make only the seat-tube UD..Will see...?
Cat 1

Postby Oilman » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:40 pm

It is UD, but I won't call it a cosmetic layer.
Oilman
Cat 3

Postby FAQinc » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:27 pm

@... UD Top tubes also look nice but in the end of the day you're the builder :)
Flatulence for men the musk that lingers.
FAQinc
Cat 2

Postby ... » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:36 pm

@Oilman
Thanks - anyway I can still "darken" the carbon fibre...

@FAQinc
I know :grin: but for this frame I'll make only the seat-tube UD. I still have to make some tubes, hopefully I'll soon manage to make them because I just can't wait to glue all the tubes together...

But I still have to make the dropouts so still quiet a lot of work to do,...I'll keep you updated!

P.S.
Happy new year 2011 :cheers:
Cat 1

Postby Mike K. » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:38 pm

Happy new year! You are off to a fine start to the year with your new project. I can see from the photo that the down tube (internally) is very free of resin. I think Marcus Storck would be impressed!
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Mike K.
Cat 1

Postby Soloist Assassin » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:42 pm

Awesome good work!
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby ... » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:07 pm

Thanks! :thumbUp:

The toptube is just finished, still rough, but anyway some new photos:

Toptube and all the tubes that are already made:

At the head-tube it's 43mm x 32mm and at the seat-tube it's 38mm x 32mm. The shape of the tube is some type of ellipse. Will post more photos when I cut the edges.

700mm and I still have to cut cca. 1/5 of the tube, so that the final weight will be really great (only around 80g)

Rough tube:

And of course everything is handmade in Slovenia 8-)

Mike K. wrote:/... I can see from the photo that the down tube (internally) is very free of resin. I think Marcus Storck would be impressed!

:D

Will keep you updated! The chainstays and seat-tube are already in process... ;)
Cat 1

Postby ... » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:48 pm

Chainstays
..and the rest of the tubes that are already made:

I still have to make the seat-tube and the drop-outs, so still a lot of work to do.

The weight of chainstays is 148.3g, 500mm each. I still have to cut them and also the final weight will be cca. 1/5 lower.

The inside of chainstays:
19.5mm x 31.5mm

The weight of all the tubes that are already made is only 593g!
And they are all for about 1/5 too long, because I make all the tubes a bit longer and cut them later. So far it looks perfect :mrgreen:

The seat-tube is already in process. I calculated that it should weight cca. 170g and it will be 810mm long. It will be an ISP and I'll have to cut it for cca. 100mm. My saddle height is 747mm and of course also the saddle and the Ritchey Stubby will add cca. 60mm. I'll use the Stubby because it's a "bulletproof" choice.
130g is quiet heavy, but if you calculate how much would weight an ordinary seat-post or the ISP (200mm of it weight only 40g - that's the same as a 170g seat-post...). Hope you like it!
Cat 1

Next

Return to General cycling