Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Parlee Z5

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Parlee Z5

Postby Jeffr » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:48 am

Hey folks,

I thought I'd take a moment to show you my all around workhorse. I know it is the fashion to take posed pictures in 53/11 with the bike all clean and no saddle bag. However, this is how I ride it. I live in a tropical climate and sometimes we have tropical rain. I also ride where there is no cellphone coverage so I carry a small saddle bag with some emergency things in it. I usually don't have the fender on but I went out in a thunderstorm and I like to keep my butt dry.

The bike is a XS Z5, wired SI-SL SRM, EE brakes, ax phoenix saddle, M2 racer ti orb II pedals, handbuilt kinlin tubulars on dt hubs with a KCNC seatpost, a ritchey stem, and 10 speed record.

I will say the EE brakes work fantastic when muddy. I had no complaints and my buddy with DA was getting gummed up.
Attachments
IMG_8124.JPG
Jeffr
The Man in Black

Re: Parlee Z5

Postby Ypsylon » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:14 am

Ah, what I wouldn't give to have some tropical rain to ride in. Sigh.

The EE brakes will muck up eventually and not return to center. It took mine about a year and a half. :roll:

Just in case you didn't know, you can take them completely apart. First time it took me around 45 minutes, now they are apart in about a minute. I was really surprised the "internals" didn't show the slightest bit of wear with all the dirt inside of them for so long. They are really, really durable.

Is that a cage in the background or a basket on your handlebar?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby Fuchs » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:20 am

i like the basket at the handlebar :)
and i would although love to have some tropical rain (had between -14 to -25 degree the last week)

it´s a nice every day bike.
Last edited by Fuchs on Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fuchs
Cat 2

Postby Jeffr » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:24 am

hah! The basket is a dog kennel. It's in the garage. She doesn't use it anymore.

I am going to hose off the brakes and hope for the best. I'm either going to replace the drivetrain with campy 11 speed or di2 in a few months depending on how my business enterprises proceed. I'd kind of rather have the 11 speed so I can have a 12-27 cassette for the climbs here. Thinking about also getting a 38 tooth inner ring.
Jeffr
The Man in Black

Postby mdeth1313 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:42 am

Ummm, z5, very nice. I was saving for one of those, until I found my addict sl for 1/3 the price! Still, you gotta love parlee (and the basket)! Very nice.
Words are like bullets, I let them pass through me.
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby Boonen » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:59 am

Jeffr wrote:hah! The basket is a dog kennel. It's in the garage. She doesn't use it anymore.

You keep 'swmbo' in a dog kennel, in the garage :shock: Brave man! :grin:

Bike looks great Jeff, I like how you can see it's being used!
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby FAQinc » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:02 pm

Very nice build Jeffr, I have the same mudguard by the way, if you do go down the Di2 can you make it do 11 shifts(obviously will not work properly in real life conditions just curious)

if you take off the dirty EE brakes they should make for some very sexy macro shots me thinks ;)
Flatulence for men the musk that lingers.
FAQinc
Cat 2

Postby Jeffr » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:44 am

So you don't think I'm a total fred. Here's what it looks like when we're on the way to a race with dancin shoes on.
Attachments
IMG_8128.JPG
Jeffr
The Man in Black

Postby Jeffr » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:45 am

Oh and 6.3kg/14lb as pictured.
Jeffr
The Man in Black

Postby Fuchs » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:35 am

thats better :)
but i miss the basket.
Fuchs
Cat 2

Postby j_imaizumi » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:55 am

Though I think you'd earn some serious respect winning races with a basket mounted on the front of your bike. :)
j_imaizumi
Cat 2

Postby Jeffr » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:58 am

I did pass quite a number of people in a TT last year who had given my hairy legs dirty looks at the start. :-)
Jeffr
The Man in Black

Postby pritchet74 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:15 am

And with that, can you please post pics of your amazing TT rig as well?

:banana:

Awesome Parlee. What's the weight with your climbing wheels on it?
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Jeffr » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:24 am

The climbing wheels, with lighter skewers and lighter cassette, are more than 600 grams lighter than boras.

There is a gallery of pictures of the walser here: http://people.freebsd.org/~jeff/bikes/walser/

They are a bit dated and I have made some changes since. I will take some new pictures once I get things adjusted to work with my newly shim'd leg and higher saddle height.
Jeffr
The Man in Black

Postby pritchet74 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:29 am

I hadn't seen those pics in a few years. One of my favorite bikes ever.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Next

Return to General cycling