Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Most puncture resistent light in weight clinchers

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Most puncture resistent light in weight clinchers

Postby Waitless » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:50 pm

With the advent of winter and rain here in Australia, can anyone suggest the most puncture resistent clincher tire that is light in weight and which I can use for racing as well as training? In the past I've used Conti GP4000S tires but maybe there is something better? Schwalbe?
Waitless
Cat 4

Re: Most puncture resistent light in weight clinchers

Postby UNCrayburn » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:34 am

It might not be a popular choice, but I have found that Michelin Krylions are extremely puncture resistent. They come in at 230g, so they are not that light. I have literally pulled quarter-of-an-inch long tacks out of my Krylions without even getting a slow-leak flat. I have found that Michelin PR3's provide almost as much puncture resistance, and they are about 190g.

Others may have more experience with multiple brands though. I found that Michelin worked for me, so I stuck with it.
- UNCrayburn
UNCrayburn
Cat 2

Postby Waitless » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:41 am

Thanks for your reply.
The Krylions sound interesting but they are a bit heavier thatn I'd prefer for racing and I generally have a problem with Michelins in that they are particularly difficult to fit onto my rims. I have a friend who tried the Pro Race 3s and was very disappointed in their puncture resitence and swapped to Schwalbes, so I'd be very interested to hear other comments.
Waitless
Waitless
Cat 4

Postby multigrooves » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:07 pm

the new conti hardshell or hutchinson fusions
multigrooves
Cat 4

Postby Gearjunkie » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:04 pm

My favourite all round clincher tyre is the Continental GP4000S. Pretty light (205-215g), best grip in the wet, roll pretty well, durable, and THE best puncture protection in a high end tyre. We have the glassiest roads anywhere (boy racers just biff their empties out the window into the cycle lane) and I keep having to come back to the 4000S's after multiple experiments with other tyres.

Cheers

GJ
Gearjunkie
Cat 5

Postby stumpytrunks » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:19 am

Whereabouts in Aus are you weightless? I think the short answer is that you'll struggle to find one that lasts more than a few thousand k's.
Pain hurts
stumpytrunks
The Tassie Devil

Postby keithc » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:45 pm

I don't know how much they weigh, but I have had very good luck with Schwalbe Ultremo DD tires. Additionally, they are very easy to mount (on Kinlin rims, anyway). I like the way they ride, as well.
<...j'ai fini par deviner que quelques-uns d'entre les vieillards sucaient l'interieur de leurs joues et laissaient echapper ces clappements bizarres>
-Camus, 1942
keithc
Cat 5

Return to General cycling