Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

DIY DI2

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: DIY DI2

Postby Ypsylon » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:22 am

Yeah, there's this one strange bloke claiming that, after adjusting, he runs di2 on his MTB without the front wire harness and therefore without the "brain", on WWs.

I think he calls himself madcow, or sumpn. :D

I, for one, am confused. But I was confused before I read this thread, too, so I may not count.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby manninen » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:04 am

Jeffr wrote:Sorry, that's not the case. I used a logic analyzer and reverse engineered it. The position pin is just used to auto trim the front and when adjusting the RD.

The RD takes one pin in that does both up shift and down shift depending on the waveform.

ok, might be just easier to buy handlebar cable set

uh... today i´m starting to wiring up my frame

ypsylon: waiting to madcow saying me something to this thread, he is involved with fairwheelbikes.com
manninen
Cat 3

Postby skimons » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:35 pm

manninen wrote:ok, might be just easier to buy handlebar cable set

that is for sure. still, if you want to save (some) costs, you can buy separate cables (actualy, just 2, the RD cable and the 5-pole junction cable, although even the latter can be left if you cut up the front wiring harnass anyway) as indicated by me, and a 7.4V battery and connect it with a lot of solder, heat shrinkable tubes and the wiring diagram of jeffr.

then, just buy a Shimano RD and the front cable set, plus a 3-pole shifter and it will work fine.
there you are, for (around) 600 euro's.
skimons
Cat 4

Postby Jeffr » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:39 pm

You could indeed cut up the cable leaving the front wiring harness and splice in the battery and the wires to the RD. That's all you'd need. In front of the front wiring harness you can use any kind of button you like. It needs only to complete a circuit.

I have verified that everything works without a front derailleur or rear junction on a test fixture. This is also easily deduced once you know the signaling protocol. Everything works even without the POS pin connected at all. Although some features are then inoperable.
Jeffr
The Man in Black

Postby manninen » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:45 pm

shimano-nordic couldn´t get me 7E3 98030 rear der cable, i send inquiry to madison ( thanks skimons)
well, it´s not really about money to not buying them all, just a principle to break a rule :)
manninen
Cat 3

Postby Oilman » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:45 pm

But generating a proper wave form for the RD and FD is very easy since it is a long pulse (for shifting in one direction) and a square wave for shifting in the other direction. The signals are quite slow for today standards, it is all in the milliseconds.
Oilman
Cat 3

Postby manninen » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:16 pm

drill it thru inside tube

old phone cable, fishing line and super glue

voila! 8)

next is gonna be RD cables and plan the battery for sure that´s gonna fit inside seatpost (only 27.2mm)
manninen
Cat 3

Postby skimons » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:19 pm

i thought since nokia came up all wired telephones were banned from finland :D
skimons
Cat 4

Postby manninen » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:00 pm

cable from phone like this

i may could use the number selector as gear shifter as well? bolted to the stem :)
manninen
Cat 3

Postby manninen » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:41 am

nothing new here, i´m gonna buy that handebar cable set. maybe flight deck model

waiting to get some parts
manninen
Cat 3

Postby Ypsylon » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:49 pm

I think the phone you showed would look way cooler on your handlebar than the flight deck computer. Just my humble and silly opinion. Do you happen to know if it supports ANT+, btw?

I mean the flight deck.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby manninen » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:10 am

i don´t think it´s ant+

looks like i´m not gonna get that sc-7900 anyway. front chainring settings between 56-50T and i´m using 48T, ok it only means wrong virtual cadence
but still

uhhhh.... ordered battery from hong kong 30.10-2010. got it today but they sent an wrong battery. it´s 11.1v :boxing:
i hope they sent an right one without hassle
manninen
Cat 3

Postby Mike K. » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:25 pm

Manninen very clever entry point for the wire. :)
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Mike K.
Cat 1

Postby manninen » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:25 pm

Mike K. wrote:Manninen very clever entry point for the wire. :)

:) threads are still there

i have to drill larger hole to chainstay to get wires out :(
i might get right 7.4v battery without sending back that 11.1v so i´m gonna tune LED lights to my winterbike
manninen
Cat 3

Postby FAQinc » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:44 pm

When life gives you lemons you make lemonade, when a company from Hong Kong gives you the wrong battery you make LED light tunning :)
Flatulence for men the musk that lingers.
FAQinc
Cat 2

PreviousNext

Return to General cycling