Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

hello all

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

hello all

Postby multigrooves » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:51 pm

Hi, my (online) name is Multi Grooves, I live in London. Little doubt I'll be flamed for it but this what my current bike looks like (with different rims).

multigrooves
Cat 4

Re: hello all

Postby Ypsylon » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:43 pm

I have to say I like your bike quite a bit. The pointy bar end plugs are not my cup of tea, but I guess that's more a compliment to the overall build than it is critique on that part.

I once saw this documentary about how future taxi drivers were riding around London on scooters to learn the names of the streets to get their permit, I think they call it knowledge, or something like that and on average they had 3 accidents on those.

So I assume you must be pretty brave riding around without a brake other than the fixed gear, but it's twenty years or so since I last visited London, so I don't know how bad the other drivers really are.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby über-goober » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:28 pm

I like the bike. And my monkey likes it. No need to flame anybody.. :wink:
the problem? could be the nut behind the handlebars.
über-goober
Cat 2

Postby FAQinc » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:19 pm

I think I've seen this Ti Moots frame in the store I used to work at, I presume you are still running an eccentric rear hub, is that e stripped down SLR saddle?

@ Uber - Goober your monkey has some mad track standing skills!
Flatulence for men the musk that lingers.
FAQinc
Cat 2

Postby multigrooves » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:52 am

Hello all, thanks for the welcome...I had hoped for fireworks and sausage rolls but this will do.

@Ypsylon: Yup they call it 'the knowledge' and it's a war out here. Well not a war but...well..you get teh drift. Right? I actually work as an advanced road cycling instructor, both with adult and children.

@ Uber - Goober: Ah but can your monkey track stand and operate an android handset at the same time?
...I can't :-\

@faqinc: Where abouts do you work?
multigrooves
Cat 4

Postby Boonen » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:50 pm

You didn't see the fireworks ?!?! :wink:

That's a real sweet and clean looking bike multigrooves! And not front brake, nice :D What rims did you switch to? Really like the look of those low profile tubs on there!
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby Fuchs » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:38 pm

yeah, nice old looking bike but i do not like the things on the stem. otherwise it´s a nice one
Fuchs
Cat 2

Postby über-goober » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:27 pm

Don't know if it's already been compared to the 'Blackbird' (or if you're tired of the comparison already).

Pics of my buddy Tam's over the top full-ti Merlin are here. :shock:

the problem? could be the nut behind the handlebars.
über-goober
Cat 2

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:01 am

Superb looking bike multigrooves, I don't think there's anything about it that I don't like. I never could get used to those old style pedals though, I hated them as a kid.

multigrooves wrote: I actually work as an advanced road cycling instructor

So, in London, that involves riding on pavements, going through red lights, weaving in and out of traffic and avoiding the occasional psycho truck driver, correct? :grin:
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby Mike K. » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:50 pm

Multigrooves like your build very much. The stem and bar ends suggest machine age and I'm partial to this period of design. Unlike Ypsylon I like the pointy bar ends! Perhaps I am more of a tit man! ? :)
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Mike K.
Cat 1

Postby j0m » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Hey multigrooves, welcome to the board! This is FWB. We don't flame people for riding bikes. We only flame people who flame other people for no flaming reason. BTW, I like the bike too. :cheers:
j0m
The Big Brain

Postby stumpytrunks » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:58 am

The post goes beautifully with the frame. I'm not sure about the bar ends but that's a personal thing. I've never understood the whole no brakes thing outside the velodrome though, bit of a death wish no matter how good you are. Nice bike though!
Pain hurts
stumpytrunks
The Tassie Devil

Postby dunlinii » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:58 pm

That is very nice. Where abouts in London are you living? North/South/East/West? I used to live in Hammersmith an recently moved away, but I love the craziness of cycling in the city.
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby FAQinc » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:51 pm

@multigrooves used to at the The Cut but now I switched to CycleSurgery HQ in Guildford ;)

@uber-goober that Merlin looks pretty sexy as well especially those Morati Cranks.
Flatulence for men the musk that lingers.
FAQinc
Cat 2

Postby multigrooves » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:52 pm

Thanks for the warm vibes all.
I've got to be honest, on seeing that Blackbird I was floored. To say it was an inspiration would be a massive understatement. The morati cranks come up at about $600 on the bay, which, is a little rich given there's no warranty. The rims on my bike are Araya Tita-aces (yup, titanium tubs) I've actually got two pairs with one up for sale hence the using them for the image above. I normally ride with the kinlin interloc cadence.

The no brakes thing...Given my work its not practical/sensible/legal turning up brakeless for lessons in road safety however with a brake I tend to ride faster, closer and take for more risks with the knowledge that lever will dig me out. Brakeless riding makes for a more switched on, stable speed and courteous ride (unless you ride like an extra from one of those black&white hipster video clips of "messengers").

@fibrelyte: Almost correct! (You forgot swearing at random bystanders)
@dunlinii: I'm based centrally in London Bridge.
@FAQinc: You were at Evans? How's Guilford??

I like tits, too. Maybe a note to Santa?
multigrooves
Cat 4

Next

Return to General cycling