Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

What will an Enve fork do?

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

What will an Enve fork do?

Postby Juanmoretime » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:28 pm

My Lynskey was designed to use and Alpha Q fork. The Alpha Q have 44mm of rake and is 372mm dropout to crown. The Edge is 43mm of rake but 368mm dropout to crown. The rake I'm not concerned about its the crown to dropout height that makes me wonder will it drastically effect handling.

Thoughts?
For my next trick I will set myself on fire!
Juanmoretime
Cat 1

Re: What will an Enve fork do?

Postby FAQinc » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:46 pm

I say 4mm lower would definitely make you more aero save you a couple of watts during the usual l 70kph sprint :P

I think it should probably make it more sharp and direct but not sure how much of a difference 4mm would make, but highly doubt if it would do anything drastic.
Flatulence for men the musk that lingers.
FAQinc
Cat 2

Postby Ypsylon » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:56 pm

It's way past bedtime for me, so I'm not gonna do it for you, but I'd recommend taking a piece of paper and a pencil and draw both frame and fork in both versions and see what happens to HTA and trail.

Stack and reach will change, STA, bb height.

It turns around the rear hub, so if you know your geometry you could probably calculate both values as well.

Now that I think about it, ask how about a shim to put between crown race and lower bearing?

Good night.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby Cyco » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:40 pm

Depending on what headset you use Chris King does a taller crown race, iirc designed for MtB forks to clear down tubes.

A 4mm drop there would be about a 0.3 degree increase in HTA. As to noticeability, that is up to you.
If it fails just after the finish line it is over built. It should fail right on it to be the perfect weight
Cyco
Cat 3

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:02 pm

Possibly stating the obvious, but my first thought would be what the performance characteristics of the forks is like, relative to each other. That could possibly be more fundamental than the small change in geometry which of course is based on all forks being equal (which they're obviously not)
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby elviento » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:04 am

Actually, a lower front end increases the seattube angle very slightly which means you will need slightly less rake to maintain the same trail, which is exactly what a 43 rake does compared to a 44 rake. So changes will be just minimal, put another 5mm spacer under your stem, you are good to go.
My dream bike project going on at http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... =3&t=94417

See Peregrine Falcons flying at 200+mph http://www.youtube.com/v/j3mTPEuFcWk?fs=1&hl=zh_CN
elviento
Cat 5

Return to General cycling