Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

pedal choice

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

pedal choice

Postby quick_step » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:41 am

I have speedplay zero now but want to try somthing new any ideas or should i get new shoes . :?: :?
Put some fun betwen yer legs
quick_step
Cat 3

Re: pedal choice

Postby ksroadie » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:49 am

Rode Speedplays for many years and was very pleased when I switched to Dura Ace 7800's. Once you experience the big stable platform, you'll never go back.
ksroadie
Cat 3

Postby FAQinc » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:55 am

Having ridden dura ace pedals for a while I say they are like that nice pair of jeans that you've worn for decades and are still going strong also the new 7900 version looks pretty slick.
Flatulence for men the musk that lingers.
FAQinc
Cat 2

Postby slisk » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:20 am

I like shimano, but go with Look Keo carbon Ti. They are a lighter option. The shimano cleats are easier to walk in and may even have a wider platform but I still like to Look. I haven't tried the newer version released in the last two years.
I buy everything that JMT lists on this site.
slisk
Grand Tourer

Postby quick_step » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:30 pm

thanks everyone Im going with slisk's advice as I was leaning towards look anyway (also I have lots of time to save up )
quick_step
Cat 3

Postby sjubbis » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:49 am

Just installed the new xpedo XRF07MC (white with orange trim) pedals on my cannondale, so far only had it on my trainer, but they seem great so far. Stable and easy in/out. Not too heavy either, 244 g pair. They fit my shimano cleats, so haven't been bothered to change to the incl cleats yet...
sjubbis
Cat 4

Postby bdaghisallo2 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:47 pm

7810 spd-sl pedals are the best system out there, imo. Can't be beat! Keep in mind that the shimano pedal bearings are a lot better than what Look has on their pedals. I rarely hear of issues with Shimano spd-sl bearings having play and becoming sloppy. I can't say the same for Looks.
bdaghisallo2
Cat 4

Postby Mario Jr. » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:16 pm

After 8-9 years on Speedplay Zero's, I have got a set of the new 7900 DA pedals. Must say that I am very pleased with them. Much more stable and it feels like more power gets to the pedals.
Mario Jr.
Manufacturer

Postby quick_step » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:47 pm

We just had a small trade show pass through Toronto and I picked up the Keo blades for $200 now im just waiting to sell last years ride to throw down on a new Record 11 speed ,and if im lucky Superrecord 8) :angelMrGreen: :lol:
quick_step
Cat 3

Postby ras11 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:58 pm

I'm also looking for a new set of pedals. Here are some notes I took from the web.

Speeplay Nano pedals are:
$635 MSRP ($630 via google shopping search)
Pedals = 130g/pair (claimed weight)
Cleats = 89g/pair (claimed weight, alloy bolts)
Total = 219g
Rebuilt kit = yes ($50, bearings only)
Holes = 4 (3 with adapter)
Float = yes (fixed option)
Weight limit = 185lb
Entry sides = 2
Exit = heal out
Other issues = cleats and pedals need frequent cleaning. Cleats difficult to walk with.

Crankbrothers Eggbeaters 11
$425 MSRP ($345 via google shopping search)
Pedals = 174g (claimed weight)
Cleats = 45g (actual WW listing, steel bolts)
Total = 219g
Rebuilt kit = yes ($12, bearings only)
Shoe holes = 2 (SPD, 3 with adapter)
Float = yes (no option for fixed)
Weight limit = 200lb
Exit = heal out
Entry sides = 4
Other issues = Would require carbon shoe to prevent hot spots. Very limited adjustments. New 11 version is supposed to be sealed better.

At almost 1/2 the (web) price, the Eggs are looking better than the Nanos (or tuned versions of the Xs or Zeros). Furthermore, I really like the low mantaince approach to the Eggs. My only beef now is the lack of a fixed cleat. I wonder what one could muster up as modified Quattro fix cleat. Looks like there are areas of the pedal body a cleat could interface to limit the rotation. Either way, it appears both pedals are within a few grams of eachother. I'm sure you might could tune the Eggs down with some Ti bolts.

BTW, I'm a big fan of the Shimano DA pedals and Vista Magic. I think both are excellent pedals. I've had a long hitory with Look and Time pedals... not that excited about them.
ras11
Cat 3

Postby quick_step » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:16 am

I've heard negitive reviews from fellow messengers although you wont put as much abuse as we do on parts (1 year as a bike messenger =8 years of daily riding) the egg beater part break in fact i have not seen anyone with them recently ,there is a article in this forum about making stock speed play pedals light with out a big hit on the wallet i have had speed play zero's four 4 years I've just outgrown them as im in better shape and need a more stable platform that why I went with look !
all the best and good hunting! :)
quick_step
Cat 3

Postby Walter » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:43 pm

I have used Look Keo pedals for perhaps 5 years (currently on three bikes) and have had zero problems with them.
The older I get...the less I can remember about how much faster I was....
Walter
Cyclotourist

Postby quick_step » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:01 am

Walter wrote:I have used Look Keo pedals for perhaps 5 years (currently on three bikes) and have had zero problems with them.

sorry i was talking about egg beaters not look as i just grabbed a set and looking forward to use them on my new ride :grin:
quick_step
Cat 3

Postby andrew9223 » Thu May 12, 2011 4:08 pm

You can make eggbeaters pretty light. I've seen a set lighter than this but they hard carbon springs.
andrew9223
Cat 5

Postby quick_step » Sat May 14, 2011 4:50 am

Nice! not my cup of tea but non the less they work great for cross! :D
quick_step
Cat 3

Next

Return to General cycling