Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

mavic yellow shoes

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

mavic yellow shoes

Postby mdeth1313 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:31 am

In my quest for new shoes, I ordered several different pairs- one of them was a pretty good deal on mavic huez shoes in white, size 8. Unfortunately, when they arrived, I opened the box to be blinded by a mavic yellow pair of shoes. I called the retailer who apologized, refunded my shipping and then found out they were out of them in white size 8. They offered me the yellow shoes at what amounted to half price, BUT, I CANNOT wear those freaking lemons, as cyclists we look stupid enough in the rest of the clothes, while it might help visibility, just, NO.

your thoughts?
Words are like bullets, I let them pass through me.
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Re: mavic yellow shoes

Postby stumpytrunks » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:00 am

Sounds like you've answered your own question to me. If you like them, keep them. If not, don't!
Pain hurts
stumpytrunks
The Tassie Devil

Postby slisk » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:09 am

Short of a black sharpie, I believe stumpy has spoken. I wouldn't be caught dead in them unless I was riding along a certain street in Paris next July sipping champagne.
I buy everything that JMT lists on this site.
slisk
Grand Tourer

Postby Ypsylon » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:16 am

Overshoes?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby mdeth1313 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:25 pm

Ypsylon wrote:Overshoes?

Oh, I'm not keeping them, I just thought it would be interesting to hear others' thoughts.

I did quickly think about overshoes- but, they don't last long and on long hot rides they'd kill the ventilation.
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby Mike K. » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:11 pm

Mdeth what was the fit like? That's if you tried them on.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Mike K.
Cat 1

Postby stumpytrunks » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:26 pm

In that case I think the retailer was pretty nice to you really. If they fit I'd see if the retailer can order you in some white ones?
Pain hurts
stumpytrunks
The Tassie Devil

Postby pritchet74 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:08 pm

I have gone thru a ton of different shoes this year and one was the Mavics. I had the white, but I would have preferred yellow. Wearing yellow shoes takes confidence. You could have pulled it off.

:banana:
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby mdeth1313 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:22 pm

pritchet74 wrote:I have gone thru a ton of different shoes this year and one was the Mavics. I had the white, but I would have preferred yellow. Wearing yellow shoes takes confidence. You could have pulled it off.

:banana:

:xBanana2: :xBanana2: No bananas dressing up these feet! Confidence is NOT the issue here. I commute by bike to the HIGH SCHOOL I work at. Can you imagine what I have to put up with when I leave and the kids are still around!
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby mdeth1313 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:31 pm

Mike K. wrote:Mdeth what was the fit like? That's if you tried them on.

Fit was pretty good- they're wider at the toes than shoes like sidi's, which was a good thing for me.

As for the retailer- it was westernbikeworks and they've always been good for me- I don't order from them much-- part of the reason I wouldn't take the yellow mavics is I already ordered shimano 310 shoes from them (on a price match) and I'm keeping the size 41's.

They immediately refunded the shipping for the mavic shoes and are sending a label so I don't have to pay for return shipping-- I asked and they agreed to increase the weight on the return label so I could send the other pair of shimano shoes back with the mavics. They've been nothing but nice through the whole thing- can't complain.

I've ridden in the shimano shoes twice now and I like them a lot- haven't had them molded, but the bonts are going to be history- as much as I loved them, I've been in one form of pain or another since I started riding with them, it's been much better in the 2 rides w/ the other shoes. Totally different design-- incidentally, the bonts only came in about 60g lighter (w/ cleats) than the shimano shoes, so I don't feel as bad about using heavier shoes!

why the mavics? (I figure someone will ask). I always like to have 2 pairs of shoes to use.
I still have PI octane sl shoes (black/white) and gaerne carbon fora shoes (reflective color) coming for me to try out.

Pritchet-- I've decided it's time to actually try all these shoes out-- there's no other way around it- the LBS's around here never have my size in anything and for them to get it in, they want me to commit to buying before they order-- F that!

Unless something really wows me just by the fit when trying it on, I may hold out and see if I can find mavics in size 8 (us), which is what the yellow ones were.
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby mdeth1313 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:03 am

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Just scored a pair in white off ebay for less than the yellow pair! SUCCESS!
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:47 am

Nice!

:cheers:
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby FAQinc » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:52 am

I have the older Pro Model which is simmilar to the Huez but heavier? according to the Marketing mumbo jumbo, personally I really wanted to have the yellow ones but the white pair was a better fit, the one thing I really liked about them was that they have lots of cushioning giving you that sort slipper feel weird thing to say about a carbon sole road shoe, I would recommend them but every foot is different.
Flatulence for men the musk that lingers.
FAQinc
Cat 2

Postby Mike K. » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:52 am

Thanks for your reply mdeth. Very interesting to hear the varied feedback about wearing the color yellow. I have a friend who would never wear a yellow jersey because of its significance in the Tour. (He prefers subdued colors in general.) I wear a yellow Exte Ondo jersey from time to time because I feel it compliments the yellow lettering on my C50. Plus I like bright colors, so I wouldn't have a second thought about strapping on those yellow puppies of yours! (Not my size though.) But my next shoe purchase will be the new Bont Vapor in white. Besides being a well engineered shoe it also compliments the paint scheme on my Addict. I might also pony up for a red pair of the new Fizik shoe which would also be complimentary. (I almost bought a pair of Ferrari red dress shoes while I was in Rome 2 years ago, but they didn't have my size!)
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Mike K.
Cat 1

Postby mdeth1313 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:44 pm

Mike K. wrote:Thanks for your reply mdeth. Very interesting to hear the varied feedback about wearing the color yellow. I have a friend who would never wear a yellow jersey because of its significance in the Tour. (He prefers subdued colors in general.) I wear a yellow Exte Ondo jersey from time to time because I feel it compliments the yellow lettering on my C50. Plus I like bright colors, so I wouldn't have a second thought about strapping on those yellow puppies of yours! (Not my size though.) But my next shoe purchase will be the new Bont Vapor in white. Besides being a well engineered shoe it also compliments the paint scheme on my Addict. I might also pony up for a red pair of the new Fizik shoe which would also be complimentary. (I almost bought a pair of Ferrari red dress shoes while I was in Rome 2 years ago, but they didn't have my size!)

Try the bonts on first. I loved mine, but went through all kinds of issues- mainly because I have flat feet and they provide arch support, which was killing me. The a-1's have a totally different feel and I loved them, but they did not work for my feet. The shimano 310's are working out fine and the mavic shoes felt really good when I tried them on.
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Next

Return to General cycling