Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

most fool proof innertube

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

most fool proof innertube

Postby Ypsylon » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:13 pm

I built myself a wheel with a hub dynamo for wintertraining useing a bontrager rim. It turned out that the combo of the rim and my Conti Grand Prix 24 was an awful one to mount. I bought a dozen Conti extralight innertubes a while ago as they fold up way smaller than the regular ones. Problem is that they don't hold their shape as nice as the heavy ones and are a lot more prone to get pinched between the rim and the tire.

If you have a flat with deep frozen hands the last thing you need is a spare tube that's finicky to mount.

Does anybody have a favourite tube that is very robust and easy to install? The standard Conti one is pretty good, but maybe someone has other ideas.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Re: most fool proof innertube

Postby FAQinc » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:08 am

Haven't used Conti tubes due to stocking and price but a bog standard Specialized tube does the job for my commuting with no sweat also I would recommend a different tyre like a Gatorskin as the Grand Prix becomes more puncture prone quicker as it wears out if that made sense.

Or you could go nuts and go the 25 Marathon plus route they are a bitch to put on but you don't need to touch them ever unless you accidentally go through a spike strip.
Flatulence for men the musk that lingers.
FAQinc
Cat 2

Postby dunlinii » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:56 pm

The bontrager standard tubes are bullet proof.
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby madcow » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:33 pm

Andy why not just put a Thorn Resistant tube into the wheel. Chances are you won't ever get a flat with one of those so it shouldn't be an issue. It's heavy and doesn't ride as nice as a thin tube but for a commuter it works well. Besides the rubber is so thick that even if you do flat it you can continue to ride it.
madcow
Dork Overlord

Return to General cycling