Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Thermo deformation of Enve (Edge) rim

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Thermo deformation of Enve (Edge) rim

Postby Fukulow » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:48 pm

Hello,
I'm planning to build a custom hand build wheelset with Enve (Edge) Composites 1.45 tubular rim.
But I heard that there are some cases the carbon rim was disformed by downhill braking thermo.
Does anyone know any similar case?
Fukulow
Cat 5

Re: Thermo deformation of Enve (Edge) rim

Postby madcow » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:32 pm

Yes I know of similar cases with clinchers. I know of cases of this happening with Edge/Enve, Reynolds, Bontrager, gigantex, and just about any other carbon clincher. It's not an Edge problem it's a carbon clincher problem. The heat softens the resin as well as significantly increases pressure in the tube. This combination allows the tube to push out on the side wall and can sometimes deform it a bit.

This is a problem that is rarely seen with tubulars since there is no pressure from within and there is no thin carbon sidewall holding back the tube.
madcow
Dork Overlord

Re: Thermo deformation of Enve (Edge) rim

Postby Fukulow » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:09 pm

I can't use carbon rim, I'm afraid...
I change to use something the other light aluminium rims such like Ambrosio F20.
Fukulow
Cat 5

Return to General cycling