Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Fair Wheel Bikes Portland Gallery

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Fair Wheel Bikes Portland Gallery

Postby madcow » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:53 am

Very soon we'll be making an official announcement about the opening of our Portland Oregon gallery(without giving the exact location it will be by Portland Union station and the steel bridge). We aren't using the word gallery loosely, we mean that in the literal sense of the word. This will not be a regular store front, but rather a place to display project bikes and stock as well as custom boutique components. We'll have regular viewing hours as well as private appointments available. In addition to showing our project builds we'll have regular showings devoted to specific builders as well as a few other surprises.

We are targeting a soft opening in Jan 2011 with the official grand opening sometime around the beginning of March.

Due to space restrictions the grand opening will be limited to one or two nights and will be by invitation only. If you'd like an invitation please let me know and I'll make sure you have first shot at them when they become available.

I'd love to hear peoples feedback or thoughts on this. Tell us what you'd like to see.
madcow
Dork Overlord

Re: Fair Wheel Bikes Portland Gallery

Postby rlpaul » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:59 am

I know I could probably swing by Oregon around that time... plus I have family there.

Interesting about the specific builders comment... especially with how many of them are in that area, or within driving distance.

Are we talking just the bikes/parts themselves, or perhaps a display with background information, etc?
rlpaul
Cat 2

Postby madcow » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:03 am

For our own bikes there will be information available but for the builder shows there won't be any need for displays as we hope to have the builders on hand during the shows to answer questions.
madcow
Dork Overlord

Postby pritchet74 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:06 am

I just love this idea! I can't wait to get up to Portland so I can check it out...
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby über-goober » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:09 pm

:D Wow holy crap that's exciting. No repairs, or sales - sounds like the perfect bike shop. :applause:

is Emiliano working there?
the problem? could be the nut behind the handlebars.
über-goober
Cat 2

Postby Ypsylon » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:24 pm

That's a pretty sweet idea.

I think meeting a frame builder in person and geting to know him or her a bit is an extremely important part of buying a custom bike and put faith in it while rideing, and it's even better to have one or more acutal bikes to look at and share some ideas and explain what the options and benefits or drawbacks are.

If I'm imagining it right, the atmosphere could potentially be really relaxed and more inviting than a regular shop, since you won't buy anything either way, but it will depend on what you do with the inside and how the staff behaves. I guess they should be more like guides or experts instead of salesmen.

I wish I could go.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby FAQinc » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:46 pm

Really like the idea, I think different variations of cycling related establishments that don't put the emphasis on bike sales have bin quite successful here in London a few examples(those are all I can think of)

http://www.lookmumnohands.com/ which is sort of like a bike cafe but with a couple of twists.

http://www.rapha.cc/cycle-club and these guys have done something similar I think the web interview paints the picture quite well!
http://www.monocle.com/sections/busines ... ycle-Club/
Flatulence for men the musk that lingers.
FAQinc
Cat 2

Postby Template Cascade » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:37 pm

über-goober wrote:is Emiliano working there?

Yeah, I'll be there!
I push buttons on the world wide webs... Template Cascade
Template Cascade
Cyclotourist

Postby Mike » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:52 am

Very cool

For us folks that will never get there I hope you do a virtual tour too :)
Mike
Cat 1

Postby dunlinii » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:54 pm

Man that sounds awesome. If only I could get to Portland....

Sounds almost like an exabition at an art gallery with the builder thing. I think that could be really really cool.
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby Mike K. » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:01 pm

Super idea! Best of luck to you! My wife has family in Oregon, I'll definitely drop in to check the gallery out when we visit.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Mike K.
Cat 1

Postby über-goober » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:26 am

Looks great!! :applause: Wish i were there to see it.
the problem? could be the nut behind the handlebars.
über-goober
Cat 2

Postby dunlinii » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:48 pm

One day...
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Return to General cycling