Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

30 hours on a plane!

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: 30 hours on a plane!

Postby drPhilGandini » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:08 am

As an Aussie ex-pat living in the US, I fly to Oz often and I plan to go this Xmas. 31hrs on the way there, and 34hrs on the way back. Not all in the air of course, but the Pacific leg is about 14hrs (which is about as long as a 747 can stay in the air before flying on fumes...) I never heard about the compression tights/socks before. Maybe I will look into that. I can never sleep on planes, so for me it's a nightmare. In the good old days, there were so many empty seats that you could sleep lying down. Nowdays coach is like those boats the Euros used to travel on to get to America--"Storage." Alcohol just dehydrates you, and it's the cheap stuff anyway. Better off just farting up a storm and pissing every one else off--before they do the same to you--as I guarantee they will. Lots of electronic devices so that the combined run time is greater than 15hrs and you might survive.
If it weren't for my ailing Mum, I'd never fly to Oz again. If I spend more than 7 hours in a plane, I better land in a part of the world that is famous for wine and food...
dr Phil Gandini
2010 Neo Ultimate
drPhilGandini
Cat 3

Postby Mike K. » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:14 pm

Can't resist weighing in on this topic as I cannot sleep on air planes either. I've had the best results with medications that fall in the class called hypnotics, which are sleep aids such as Ambien. Valium is an anti anxiety drug which can make you drowsy but sleep is not its intended purpose. Maybe you'll get lucky and be seated next to an attractive and talkative female who will help you pass the hours more easily!
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Mike K.
Cat 1

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:13 pm

Jeffr wrote:Where are you headed in new zealand? I spent a few weeks there years ago. Loved it.

We're travelling a fair bit, but we're landing in Christchurch and my relatives live near Nelson, in a place called Brightwater. Some places we're visiting are Milford Sound and a place called something like Tahanuna(?)

slisk wrote:Too bad the layover isn't in Bahrain. I'd meet you at the airport.

That would have been great. So close, yet so far away! :(

thanks for the link re: aspirin, UNCrayburn, I'll have a read of that later. :wink:
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby Ypsylon » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:47 pm

I was wondering about the blood clots myself. If it was as serious as I think there'd be people dying everyday, but I know that I'd get a shot against it before such a long flight, but then I'm surrounded by physicians. Definetly get the compression socks and try to walk every once in a while.

Aspirin is not a bad idea, but won't really help all that much, the socks should actually help more.

I'm not your mom, but mixing alcohol and pills is not too great of an idea, I hear.

Flying home from Spain for christmas, saying good morning in Spanish to the guy at the counter scored me the seat behind the emergency escape door, which was very nice. Being nice to the flight personal prolly won't hurt. :wink:
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby drPhilGandini » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:05 pm

Ypsylon wrote:... Being nice to the flight personal prolly won't hurt. :wink:

I nearly always try this approach, but honestly the staff working airplanes these days seem to be about as interested in service as everyone else in this effed up world economy. Happiness, especially on the job, seems to have been the first casualty of the recession, and in the airline industry this combines with planes packed to the gills with annoyed travelers who think they deserve first class service in coach.
dr Phil Gandini
2010 Neo Ultimate
drPhilGandini
Cat 3

Postby rlpaul » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:13 pm

Last week my first class ticket was cheaper than a coach ticket.... so based on price, perhaps they should be getting better serice :roll:
rlpaul
Cat 2

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:19 pm

You've got a point there Phil. I think that there's more and more pressure in jobs, put that together with a distinct lack of manners from a lot of people these days and you can see why customer service staff aren't so happy any more. However, I still always try to be nice. Don't ask me why but I still find the ability to put a smile on somebody's face appealing!
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby Ypsylon » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:03 am

I usually look at the lack of manners from a lot of people as just being easier for me to stick out of the crowd in a good way.

It can really bring you long ways some times. It's usually less easy with good looking females though, as you don't wanna come across as some "viejo verde", I actually don't know the English word unfortunatly, maybe douche bag?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby pritchet74 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:01 pm

Speaking of sitting next to an attractive girl on long flights...

The 2nd time I flew to Australia (1998) I had a 3 hour layover at LAX before my Qantas flight to Melbourne. I went to my gate and saw a very attractive 20 year old woman....

Damn - finish this story later - my flight to Spokane is boarding now...
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby slisk » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:22 pm

OK - I've done 30+ Transatlantics in the last five years as well as many to Southeast Asia leaving from Bahrain. I've flown many, many flights in the US/EU/Middle East corridor. Here are some generalizations. Your best chance of sitting next to a nice looking, thin girl would be on a European flight....worst chance...anything leaving the Midwestern USA (Chicago/Detroit). I do get to sit next to a hot chick on most flights (my wife). I had to share a seat once with a smelly 400 pounder out of Detroit once and that just sucked hard. I had no options with every seat booked. Best behaved, goes to the Europeans again. However, the worst in every category (rotten kids, pushy rude adults, and plain stupidity) easily goes to the flight corridor out of the Middle East. Expect to see running down the aisles during taxi, jumping on seats, kicking your chairs. That is why I mix a little Vitamin V with some JD.

Congrats to my European friends. Many of the world's cultures could take a few lessons about etiquette from y'all.
I buy everything that JMT lists on this site.
slisk
Grand Tourer

Postby dunlinii » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:07 pm

Funny you should say that Slisk, cause most people in Europe seem to think that the British are pretty rude, generally speaking. I mean I try to be polite, but when you see some Brits on holiday in places like Greece, setting off the fire alarm every 5 minutes, its not hard to see why. Its funny, I always think of the Swiss as been mega polite...thoughts?
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby Ypsylon » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:45 pm

Not sure if stereotypes are a good thing, but I have the feeling that the British are polite, but, especially abroad, have more "outliers" that draw a lot of attention. They are also easily recognizable.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby dunlinii » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:11 pm

Thats a good way of putting it :grin:
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby stumpytrunks » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:35 am

I can't comment on long haul flights but as far as NZ goes, pack a full set of clothes. I've only been to the North island but the weather there was very similar to Tassie, and I'd expect the South island to be more so. We get 4 seasons in a day here so pack for sun, cold and rain!
Pain hurts
stumpytrunks
The Tassie Devil

Postby elviento » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:58 am

My best advice to you would be: don't eat much or drink much... Bring lots of different things do to, video games, books, newspapers, movies... wear sweat pants.

I once did a 42 hour train ride.

In February's sub-0 weather.

In an unheated train.

Mostly without a seat.

Along with about 200 people in that compartment.

Most of whom were smokers...

To see my ex-wife (was GF then:-), otherwise current wife won't be too happy)...
My dream bike project going on at http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... =3&t=94417

See Peregrine Falcons flying at 200+mph http://www.youtube.com/v/j3mTPEuFcWk?fs=1&hl=zh_CN
elviento
Cat 5

PreviousNext

Return to General cycling