Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

The Günter Mai Spin - 2850g / 6.28lbs

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

The Günter Mai Spin - 2850g / 6.28lbs

Postby über-goober » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:49 am

:-D Many of you know all about this project from seeing it on Madcow's blog, and may be seeing it the next few days at Interbike.. just wanted to give the bike a home here on the FW forum. Some more photos here.

The bike has had a lot of press (and mileage) since being built up by Günter Mai at under 3000g. And outting myself, I am the current owner or custodian or whatever you'd call it. Here is the frame/fork and the extent of other bits as I obtained from Günter earlier this year:
Which for the hard-core WW's probably looks like a whole lot of potential... :D

Anyway Madcow was keen on getting the bike built up again, and i think the thing about this project that is so cool is that is a collaboration of so many great folks. Time for a huge moo to the maestro! :applause:

So that's it for now.. note the project will continue after Interbike and that quoted weight is surely going to drop some more. :mrgreen:
the problem? could be the nut behind the handlebars.
über-goober
Cat 2

Re: The Günter Mai Spin - 2850g / 6.28lbs

Postby j0m » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:36 am

Cool, looking forward to seeing more. Maybe we should change your name into über-Günter? :wink:
j0m
The Big Brain

Postby Fuchs » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:59 am

are there some new pics with the "ready" bike?
cool that somebody bought it who is on the forums!
Fuchs
Cat 2

Postby JudgeNick » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:23 pm

Hey Jack! I got your PM, but couldn't reply, as you have them disabled. Feel free to hit me up -- nick AT tririg DOT com.

Fuchs, there are pics -- I posted a link to them in the main forum, but you can find them here:

http://www.tririg.com/articles.php?id=1 ... htest_Bike
OR
http://bit.ly/bK8FdO

JudgeNick
Cat 3

Postby Fuchs » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:00 pm

yes seen this thread, thanks!

and today, the über goober has his birthday!

happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear über goober.... :party:
i hope you got some more light parts today :)
Fuchs
Cat 2

Postby Boonen » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:30 pm

Congrats Goober! Both with your birthday and with the bike :D
That's a nice project you took upon you :D Did you get to ride the end result already? If you have it it would be interesting to see a complete build list with weights?

Nice pictures and article as well Nick :top:
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby Jeffr » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:24 pm

I saw this bike at interbike. One thing that I really liked about it was actually that it's not totally perfect. It has been ridden and you can tell. It gives it a feeling of authenticity that you don't get with a lot of show bikes. Especially light bikes. It kind of says 'this is more practical than you think'.

Anyway, it's also ridiculously light. I'd love to race it on a big hill climb!
Jeffr
The Man in Black

Postby über-goober » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:45 am

Many thanks~! :D That's cool that so many of you have seen the bike in Vegas. Whenever i stopped by, there seemed to be more guys groping it! :lol:

JudgeNick -- thank you for the awesome photos! :-D Very nice work sir!!

Also deserving of a big thank you is The Nils, who made the frame available and oversaw the transaction. It really sounded like he and Günter (the Chuck Norris of weight weenies IMO) wanted to make sure the bike got built up again and done right.. so i just hope we've given it a deserving home.

Fuchs - thanks buddy :D , and for birthday presents here are some suggestions:
BTP Carbonumwerfer.jpg
BTP Carbonumwerfer.jpg (34.48 KiB) Viewed 4492 times

50012795.DSC07991.jpg

huret-66g.jpeg.jpeg

Seriously those have been in the works a long time, and as you are noticing there's still a ways to go on this bike's starvation diet. :shock: :wink:

Boonen - that is my tuned SRAM Red derailleur you had asked about. It is about 102g as shown, before it gets the final mods like carbon cable/adjuster bolts and ceramic bearings in the pulleys. As you can see it was heavily "influenced" by your work. :wink:

Jeffr - about racing it on a big hillclimb: HELL YES to that idea. :applause: Seems like what it was made to do. But not by me unfortunately.. the rider's measurements have to be about 70cm for the saddle and 56cm seat to bars (and ideally w/ a lot more wattage than what i've got). For a weight limit i'm guessing 65kg or thereabouts.. Is it Haleakala that's your big climb around there? Also i thought Mt Lemmon, Washington, Evans, or Pikes Peak for this bike's chance to turn a pedal in anger. Anyone know any 'talent' in that size who could set a HC record and also work a downtube shifter?
über-goober
Cat 2

Postby Jeffr » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:52 am

Haleakala is the big climb here. Mike Zagorski would fit the bike and he won a few years in a row. Unfortunately now that Ryder Hesjedal set the record I don't think an amateur is going to beat it even with a 6lb bike!

It's a couple cm too big for me. I bet nils would fit on it though no? He has some legs on him!
Jeffr
The Man in Black

Postby pritchet74 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:52 am

Damn. I need 72 cm.

I have the power output of a school girl, but I would LOVE to just ride it up a mountain pass, just once!
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby JudgeNick » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:43 am

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Hopefully I'll get to see some more interesting stuff from Dash in the near future, which will make for some more good photo galleries ... stay tuned to TriRig.com
JudgeNick
Cat 3

Postby dunlinii » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:58 pm

Happy belated birthday Uber!!

Love the rear mech :grin: O and by the way, I would fit that bike...
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby über-goober » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:48 pm

->Anyone have ideas for brake tuning?

How could these Orions get lighter? (The bike has stock '09 Premiums w/ BTP @ 102g)

See:

Bremsen / Brakes: AX-Lightness Orion SL modified, BTP brake shoes 71,6 g

and
axkomplett907g.jpg
axkomplett907g.jpg (42.56 KiB) Viewed 4174 times
über-goober
Cat 2

Postby Ypsylon » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:56 pm

I guess you do, but do you already have the glued btp pads/holders?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby pritchet74 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:53 pm

And you are using the Powercordz I assume?
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Next

Return to General cycling