Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Shimagnolo Di2

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: Shimagnolo Di2

Postby BMANX » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:12 am

NO NO NO, this is not going to work with those brakes. AH crap. I tried. I love all of this thinking outside of the box stuff. I can not want to see this completed.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Cervelo SLC 5890g/12.98lbs
BMANX
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:03 am

I have examined the Ergo lever I have and I have some ideas....
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby dunlinii » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:01 pm

How are they comming along?
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:57 am

First time I've read this thread and it's really interesting. Jeffr's idea seems very sensible to me, if only there's a straightforward way to do it?
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby pritchet74 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:08 am

I looked at my Campy Ergo lever on Tuesday and it wouldn't be difficult to stick with the Campy paddle and thumb shifter, but to have to tap the thumb shifter from the drops just isn't as comfortable as the setup I have now. While walking thru Interbike yesterday I was thinking a lot about this project and I am going to stick with the 2-button setup that I have. It really is the most functional way to go. For me, it takes Di2 to a new level of enjoyment.

I just have to modify it to blend to the brake lever better. That's the project for this weekend.

:banana:
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:09 pm

Could you not make a little acetyl case for the buttons to fit into and have two countersunk screws go through the lever and into the acetyl case behind?
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby pritchet74 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:05 pm

That's a little beyond my capabilities right now I think. I was playing with the location of the switches to Dremel out the lever, but decided that it just wasn't worth it. So I got out some cloth handlebar tape and glued it over the buttons to get a better feel to them. Hopefully a test ride on it tomorrow.
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby colorchange » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:28 pm

Prichet,

Would you mind sharing where you got the button switch? Might like to try some experimenting myself.

Tim
colorchange
Cat 4

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:29 pm

As soon as I sell my Di2 shifters (both road and TT) I will share where I got the switches.
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Fuchs » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:20 pm

haha...thats the way to sell stuff :D
Fuchs
Cat 2

Postby BikeTech » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:46 pm

I'm thinking about trying a toggle switch, similar to the Mavic Zap configurations the Gan team used in the mid 1990's.
Attachments
toggle2.jpg
toggle2.jpg (21.89 KiB) Viewed 2494 times
BikeTech
Cat 5

Postby pritchet74 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:49 am

So both shifters are sold now.

I am on my forth glass of red wine right now though so posting a link isn't a good idea...

Cost of each switch was only $16 though and I bought them thru www.mouser.com

Link coming soon...
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby pritchet74 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:11 am

Looks like I am haven't had that much wine! :banana:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CK- ... pThN0Wk%3d

That's them! I am mounting another one on the tops next to the stem for the rear derailleur. Then mounting the buttons on my new TT bars. All should be done by next weekend.

:xBanana5:
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby maxxevv » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:41 pm

Pritchet,

I think Jeff's idea would probably work best. If someone has a 'spoilt' ergolever set ( 9 / 10 /11 speed doesn't matter) that wishes to be dumped, I think I can get it to be interfaced with the Di2 buttons totally stealth. Meaning one which is totally indistinguishable from the normal levers.
maxxevv
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:28 pm

maxxevv wrote:Pritchet,

I think Jeff's idea would probably work best. If someone has a 'spoilt' ergolever set ( 9 / 10 /11 speed doesn't matter) that wishes to be dumped, I think I can get it to be interfaced with the Di2 buttons totally stealth. Meaning one which is totally indistinguishable from the normal levers.

Ya, I played with an Ergo lever and it wouldn't be hard to do, but the buttons how I have them positioned is just far superior ergonomically. Having to "click, click, click" one push at a time on the thumb shifter from the drops just wouldn't be very convenient.

This is a rare case of me giving up style for function.
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

PreviousNext

Return to General cycling