Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

English Cycles build *FINISHED* 6040g!

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: English Cycles build from start to finish!

Postby BMANX » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:07 am

Hey who is the mod on this site anyways. I need them to change over my name to BMANX from bman88 but I can not do it myself.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Cervelo SLC 5890g/12.98lbs
BMANX
Cat 1

Postby j0m » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:24 am

BMANX, no idea about the mods, if you find any could you please let us know as we would like to get hold of them as well.
j0m
The Big Brain

Postby Fuchs » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:35 am

it´s quite ...ähm how should i say...ähm black :)
it looks nice! just don´t like the wheels and the seat on it. they make the bike look "cheap" in a way.
why do you have so much spacer if it is an custom frame? and what are this for wirehousings at the bar?
Fuchs
Cat 2

Postby Boonen » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:33 am

5 out of 5 banana's for me Mr. X!
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

I really like the look of steel and the workmanship and the execution of the seat mast are really nice, have you been able to take it for a spin already?
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby FAQinc » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:49 pm

Very sultry stuff indeed I would agree with Fuchs and say it might need a little deep section love, good job to you and Rob!
Flatulence for men the musk that lingers.
FAQinc
Cat 2

Postby BMANX » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:55 pm

This is just the primary build as I was rushing to build it up to ride in a Gran Fondo tomorrow but have decided to ride the SLC.

The shifter cabling looks amazing heading behind the stem but the rear brake cabling needs some work.

The spacer is only a 15mm and it puts the bars exactly where they need to be to match up with my SLC bar height. Rob and I agreed that we would design the build to have the 15mm spacer which would put the stem about 10mm higher than my normal builds for more comfort over longer rides but I still wanted the ability to be able to lower the stem to the original height that I ride if wanted. Funny how you think 15mm is a lot when most people seem to be riding 50mm of spacers on their bikes. So at my normal riding height I would need to have 5mm of spacer under the stem. I hope that is alright. If I was building this bike for one purpose and was never going to change it ever then it would have been 10mm higher with no spacers but honestly I have never built up a bike and left it exactly that way it was for ever.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BMANX
Cat 1

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:52 pm

I love it Brian, top banana! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

It's very individual and classical looking until you see the detail and realise it has very modern components. I think the stack height comments are interesting as the headset and stem create a bit of an optical illusion as if there's more spacers there than there really is.

I thought at first as others had commented, that some deep rims would suit, but after looking for a while, i don't think they would. What I do think is that the spoke count on the wheels you have is a bit high and makes them look a little fussy. If funds would allow, I think a set of RAR Tempo wheels might suite, with a custom spoke count if Adrien could do it. Just a thought :wink:
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby dunlinii » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:42 pm

Love it too. Completely agree with Stephen (he is a clever fellow)
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby BMANX » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:18 am

Was able to spend a few minutes with my English build today and am getting closer to the finished product. With the Sram Force shifters and rear derailleur, FSA compressor and the Fizik CX saddle which I would classify on the heavier side of what I currently have and with no bar tape the build comes in at 6020g. I am now thinking that I will try to get the build to under 6000g but keeping the Sram Force to sort of make a point that sub 6000g with steel can be possible.

This is with the EDGE 45 wheels that I would like to keep on the SLC so I am thinking about getting some of the Stan's notube 1200g tubeless wheelset but the only thing that I am not sure about would be the tires as I am not familiar with what is available and I would like to keep those tires in and around 200g if possible.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BMANX
Cat 1

Re: English Cycles build *FINISHED* 6040g!

Postby BMANX » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:54 am

I have just finished putting it together and taking a short test ride. It feels great. The best way to describe the ride is that it feels like I have owned the bike forever. Comfortable and familiar.

The finished weight at this time is 6040g and I just have to decide if I want to transfer over the Sram Red from the SLC to this build. The Red shifters and rear derailleur would allow me to get the build down to 5950g which I am thinking about doing so I left the cables a bit long.

Overall I am extremely happy how the build looks with the exception of having to use the Nokon's which I will try to change out in the winter with a long email to Rob to see how much fun it will be to pull the liners through. I think I can do it pretty simple but of course will check with Rob.

I have some camera issues right now like not owning one but am trying to borrow one from work. I am sure that I could tune the last 50g out of the build to get it under 6000g so we will see how the last 1% sorts itself out.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BMANX
Cat 1

Postby BMANX » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:42 am

BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BMANX
Cat 1

Postby synchronicity » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:41 pm

Great to see all the photos on this forum!
How do you find the shifting & rear braking with that setup?
Vertebrae Precision braking and shifting.
synchronicity
Cat 4

Postby Fuchs » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:36 pm

thats nice! now it really looks like it should! i like it a lot!
Fuchs
Cat 2

Postby Mike K. » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:21 pm

Super looking machine. Love the way the cable can be pulled tight toward the bars.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Mike K.
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:12 pm

:banana:

Those wheels make the build complete. I love it.

How does it ride as that setup?
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

PreviousNext

Return to General cycling