Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Haleakala

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Haleakala

Postby ttp » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:35 pm

We'll be spending 3 weeks in Maui and the Big Island starting Oct 20th and planning a ride up Haleakala. I'm contemplating transporting our bikes or doing the full service rental and supported ride with http://www.gocyclingmaui.com/details.html. I hope to get some input from those who have ridden this climb. My goal is 4 hours for the ascent.

1) Is it pretty straight forward to find your way up?
2) How much temp difference from bottom to top that time of year?
3) Tips for riding the route?
ttp
Cat 4

Re: Haleakala

Postby Jeffr » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:14 pm

I live on Haleakala. I highly recommend that shop. Good bikes, nice people. He'll make sure you have good rides if you decide to go that route.

The race up is this weekend. You're two months late. :-) It's a great ride but keep in mind there are only a few places to stop for water. One at 3,500 ft and then not again until almost 8,000ft. There are elevation marks all the way up. If you follow the race route from Paia there are only 3 turns to make. The one above Makawao is maybe hard to spot the first time but the rest is pretty obvious -- just keep heading up. The only flatish section is after you make the turn above makawao as you head over to old haleakala highway. You'll want to start pretty much as early as you can since clouds and weather come in by noon. In october it will be very cold at the top. You probably won't notice it on the way up but if you plan on riding back down you'll definitely need warm clothes. At least a wind breaker and full gloves, etc. As far as the route goes, it's pretty steady. The middle section has some steep pitches but once you're in the national park it flattens out a bit. Don't forget to bring some money for the gate and they prefer that it is not soaked with sweat. They've mentioned that this is a problem with some cyclists.

While you're here riding out to hana and back is a fantastic ride. A group usually leaves from twin falls early in the morning on sundays. You want to avoid the hana traffic but if you go early it's beautiful although sometimes wet. Also riding around west maui can be really nice. It's only 60 miles but a fair amount of elevation change on the north end. Be careful in gulches as some stay permanently wet and there can be moss, clay, etc. that people don't anticipate.
Jeffr
The Man in Black

Postby ttp » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:54 pm

Thanks for the input. I did see that Cycle to the Sun is this weekend. We'll likely target coming back a different year to ride that race. For now have this marriage and honeymoon stuff we have to do in Maui :) I've read that the last 3K feet are toughest. Is that due to gradient or more or less the elevation?
ttp
Cat 4

Postby Jeffr » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:00 pm

The gradient as actually less steep up there except for the final pitch. Above 7k ft you really start to feel the elevation. At 9k ft you're making about 20% less power than sea level at best.

Maui is a nice place to honeymoon. Beautiful during the day and not much to do out at night but spend time together. ;-) I got married on the big island and there are a lot of neat activities to do there. Although the riding isn't as nice.
Jeffr
The Man in Black

Postby ttp » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:32 pm

Did you see Ryder Hesjedal's attempt? Broke Vaugter's 2:38 record on his 2nd try (unofficial).

http://ryderhesjedal.ca/video/video/31- ... la-attempt
ttp
Cat 4

Postby Jeffr » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:35 pm

I have not watched the video but I have seen screenshots of the power file. Ryder lives here in the off season.

I will not be attempting to match ryder's record. :) I will be trying for 3hrs though. Only feeling so/so about it. Last few weeks have not gone great but I had the power last month so hopefully it's still in there somewhere.
Jeffr
The Man in Black

Postby slisk » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:23 am

Jeffr,
How far is a complete lap starting from Kaanapali, south to Lahaina then across towards Kahului, then to Hana and all the way around the desert side of Haleakala and back to Cheeseburger In Paradise in Lahaina for a recovery meal and beer? I don't remember a huge amount of climbing on that route but was doing a pre honeymoon type drive about 15 years ago. Maui is on the radar in a few years once again.
I buy everything that JMT lists on this site.
slisk
Grand Tourer

Postby Jeffr » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:29 am

Going around east maui is about 110 miles. Then you have to add 10-15 miles each way to get to lahaina and back. It's probably 8k ft of climbing as the highest point on that route is about 3,500 ft and the ride to hana is easily 3k ft of climbing by itself. It'd be a big day. Some guys here have done east + west maui, all 180 miles of it, in one day. That's a serious ride.
Jeffr
The Man in Black

Postby ttp » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:38 am

Here is the data from his Garmin

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/1746967
:shock:
ttp
Cat 4

Postby rlpaul » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:58 am

His average power for that entire ride is about the same as my best 20 minute power :doh:
rlpaul
Cat 2

Postby ttp » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:59 pm

Just got back from our honeymoon and happy to report we completed the climb together. Wow! Next time we'll bring our own bikes but for the most part it was a tough and rewarding day. For me 8K and up were especially tough and I probably needed to pack more nutrition. You weren't kidding about that last pitch to the lookout. No shame. I walked it. :grin:
ttp
Cat 4

Postby Mike » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:50 am

ttp wrote:Just got back from our honeymoon and happy to report we completed the climb together. Wow! Next time we'll bring our own bikes but for the most part it was a tough and rewarding day. For me 8K and up were especially tough and I probably needed to pack more nutrition. You weren't kidding about that last pitch to the lookout. No shame. I walked it. :grin:

Good for you & glad you enjoyed it.

Yes that final pitch at the top just before the parking :shock:

Both times I raced it I felt like I needed to lean way over the bars :lol:
Mike
Cat 1

Postby stumpytrunks » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:12 am

Average HR 91% of max...that's throwing up territory after not very long!
Pain hurts
stumpytrunks
The Tassie Devil

Return to General cycling