Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Black Baby Storck

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Black Baby Storck

Postby j0m » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:55 pm

As some of you might know I have a Storck CD 1.0. When I was about to buy it I wasn't sure if a 51 would be ridable. I was strongly advised to go with the 55, and since there's no Storcks around to test ride I did chose the 55. When Jason was getting rid of his Absolutist I saw my chance to try a 51. I'm stupid and probably not as perceptive as other people but to me both bikes offer a very similar ride (and a very good one at that). As I can get lower on the Absolutist it's now my main ride. The CD is the foul weather bike (I think the CD frame is better looking though).

Attached you can see a couple of pics of the Absolutist. Nothing spectacular but it serves me well. If some nice pedal based power meter system comes along I might be tempted to change some things. I didn't like the original paint scheme at all so I removed it. I did have some grand plans but didn't pursue them and in the end I just put some clear on it. Before I had lost my energy I did the wheel logos though. BTW the bike hasn't been washed in a long time...
Attachments
b1.JPG
b2.JPG
j0m
The Big Brain

Re: Black Baby Storck

Postby mdeth1313 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:12 pm

ahhh, I love and all black bike- you know what they say- Once you go black, you never go back!

really nice!

On a side note- while at Sesame Place with my family I walked by an Infinity FX 35 that was Matte Black- like my (former) edge 1.0 fork. I'm not a car fan, but I thought that was the coolest thing ever-- your bike just reminded me of that.
Words are like bullets, I let them pass through me.
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:13 pm

Dude. I love it! When he put that frameset up for sale I thought about buying it too! I am glad it went to a great home.

Build list? Weight?
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:18 pm

Very nice indeed. I'd had the same thoughts about the frame as well but see an mtb in my future rather than a road bike. Must be the weather :D

The perspective in the photo makes it look (on my computer at least) that the front wheel is a slightly deeper section than the rear. :?

So you just need some black cranks and chainrings now :grin:
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby dunlinii » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:49 pm

I love a dirty bike.

It must have taken you ages to strip that? A winter job?
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby j0m » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:30 pm

Funny to see that others also thought about getting the frame.

Any suggestions for getting a larger drop between the saddle and the bars? Either using this frame, or looking into the future, are there other frames that are more suitable? Leg implants are out of the question. Actually I don't know if want to get lower but this is the lowest I've been and it would be nice to find out where it's not comfortable anymore.

mdeth1313 wrote: you know what they say- Once you go black, you never go back!

I thought you went deaf?
Fibre-Lyte wrote:So you just need some black cranks and chainrings now :grin:

Yes, once I find a cheap or vastly superior replacement for the SRM. It works so well and it's rather expensive too. I never get around to sell off my old stuff so I'm reluctant to swap out the expensive things. :-)

pritchet74 wrote:Build list? Weight?

Build list sounds a bit pretentious, especially since I haven't really put too much thought into it. But off the top of my head it's something like this:
Frame: Storck Absolutist 0.9 size 51.
Fork: Storck aero.
Wheels: Edge 1.68 tubular with Tune hubs. Rear is triplet racing. The wheel builder hadn't done a great job so I rebuilt them myself before the season. So far, so good. tubs are Veloflex Carbon. I was looking at getting the Extremes, but then decided against it as I ride through glass on almost every ride before hitting the real roads.
Bars: Syntace Racelite2 in 46 with Syntace Cork tape (anything narrower and I can't ride after a week. As the 46 fixes the problem I haven't been to the doctor but it seems like Ulnar tunnel Syndrome).
Stem: 3T team -17, 130mm.
Headset: Cane Creek/Ritchey.
Expander: Ultrastar.
Brifters/RD/FD/Cranks/ DA-7800 (SRM)
Seatpost: Syntace p6 carbon.
Seat: Aspide - Carbon FX Arrowhead
Brakes: EE
pedals: time ulteam Ti carbon.
Cables and housing: Yokozuna
Some custom bolts (some of the custom ones are still on the CD I think)
Is that a complete bike? :dunno:

Not sure if I can trust my fishing scales but dirty and full of Pitstop it was 6.81kg with the computer mounted. With the other bottle cage and no dirt it might be 6.80. :D

dunlinii wrote:It must have taken you ages to strip that? A winter job?

Yep. Where the tubes are round it was easy, but all the joints and hard to get to places were a pain. From a monetary perspective it would probably have been better to work more and buy a custom painted frame, but that's me in a nut shell, I always do stupid things myself that it would have been cheaper, better and/or easier to have someone else do. :oops:
j0m
The Big Brain

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:19 pm

j0m wrote:
Fibre-Lyte wrote:So you just need some black cranks and chainrings now :grin:

Yes, once I find a cheap or vastly superior replacement for the SRM. It works so well and it's rather expensive too. I never get around to sell off my old stuff so I'm reluctant to swap out the expensive things. :-)

Understandable, I was thinking more along the lines of what Tillquist did with his Dura Ace cranks and paint them and then same with the SRM covers? Chainrings could be stronglight, ta or... well there are other options :wink:
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby FAQinc » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:42 pm

In terms of drop, measure the drop from the tip of the saddle to the ground then measure the top of the handlebar to the ground(or someshere along that line) and then subtract the difference.

If you end up with anything bigger than 14cm then you are in silly terytory as the aero benefits don't overcompensate the constriction it will impose on your breathing(TT is a different animal), even most pros don't go bigger than 12cm of course there will always be exceptions but that's the general rule of tumb.

That said I can't see you on a turbo or a jig so don't take my advice literaly but more of a guidence.

That's some mighty fine choice of components by the way, tip of the hat.

P.S. When measuring a even surface helps a bit :)
Flatulence for men the musk that lingers.
FAQinc
Cat 2

Postby Ypsylon » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:38 am

At first I couldn't decide on the size either, and on paper neither the 51 nor the 55 could possibly fit, but a test ride on the 55 revealed that it was a really nice fit. I still don't get it, but it works really well for me.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby j0m » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:42 am

Fibre-Lyte wrote:Understandable, I was thinking more along the lines of what Tillquist did with his Dura Ace cranks and paint them and then same with the SRM covers? Chainrings could be stronglight, ta or... well there are other options :wink:

Haven't we discussed this already a long time ago, or was it only in my head? :D Anyhow I was planning on doing something like that, but then decided against it.

FAQinc, my drop is only 10cm (measured on level ground :wink:). I've been meaning to make a nice movie of myself on the bike, but haven't gotten around to it. At this point I was mostly curious if there are any obvious (and good) ways to get lower should the need arise. AFAIK the Storck is one of the lowest/longest frames, but I'm usually wrong. 8)
j0m
The Big Brain

Postby FAQinc » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:59 pm

If you've got the equipment you should make a circular rail around a turbo and have a camera circling as you ride that would be really cool, also it has to be slo-mo for uber coolness with somekind of funky elctric soundtrack that no one has ever heard.

But otherwise it sounds perfectly acceptible drop wise.
Flatulence for men the musk that lingers.
FAQinc
Cat 2

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:56 pm

j0m wrote:Haven't we discussed this already a long time ago, or was it only in my head? :D

I think we did, although I can't be sure. May be I'm just trying to subtley mention it from time to time until you get around to doing it, or may be I'm just getting old and forgetful :D
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby j0m » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:29 pm

Thought I should update with some pictures featuring those black bits mentioned by Stephen a couple of years ago. :D From earlier today while we were waiting for the ferry.
Attachments
sea1.jpg
Long time no sea.
sea2.jpg
sea3.jpg
The Old Bike and the Sea.
j0m
The Big Brain

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:10 pm

It's amazing what washes up on the beach these days! :D

Looks really, really nice! 8-)
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby mdeth1313 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:55 pm

Yeah, now we need to see the bike rock climbing, surfing, etc. We'll understand if you make it skip cliff diving!
Words are like bullets, I let them pass through me.
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Return to General cycling