Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Cervélo aero post tuning

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: Cervélo aero post tuning

Postby BMANX » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:41 am

But there is always tomorrow. Now that my WW Grand Fondo bike has an additional 2 pounds of battery and lights to get me to work tomorrow at 5:30 am, I am sure when I am tired and worn out from a long day that it will be in the mail tomorrow.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Cervelo SLC 5890g/12.98lbs
BMANX
Cat 1

Postby BMANX » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:41 am

At least you were nice and did not post a picture yet to torture me. DON'T DO IT!
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BMANX
Cat 1

Postby ... » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:46 pm

pritchet74 wrote:First ride with it today. Just an hour, but I hit some good cracks in the road with keeping my full weight on the saddle. I usually take my ass off the seat when I hit a bump since I have carbon rails on my Zoncolan saddle, but I wanted to see what kind of impact it would take. Everything is fine. I will carry my original cradle in my seat bag with my tools for a while, but I don't foresee a problem. If anything, the narrower bearing distance of the cradle will put more stress on the saddle rails. I would think carbon rails would fail before this cradle would fail.

I will continue with the testing though!

Weight saving is 14 grams according to my scale. Quite happy about that!

I'm glad to hear that :thumbUp:
H a n d m a d e I n S l o v e n i a
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:29 pm

I have a picture all ready to post, but have been waiting until you have yours. I didn't want to be mean. Especially to the guy who got me my Vantage 8. :mrgreen:
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby BMANX » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:34 pm

You got them. I was hoping they arrived in good condition. Please post the picture. I will have mine today. I am willing it to arrive today.

Cheers.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BMANX
Cat 1

Postby BMANX » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:35 pm

P.S. at least you did not have to spend 1 hour trying to get the plastic out of the basebar left over from the molding process. It was a bitch to get out!

BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BMANX
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:19 pm

The pic could be better, but I only have my Blackberry right now to take and upload the pic.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby BMANX » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:56 pm

That looks pretty good. I have some AX yokes with ti bolts on the way to match up with this carbon cradle so maybe they will arrive at the same time. I think the AX yokes will be better as they are round and do not have the sharp edges of something like the KCNC would have.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BMANX
Cat 1

Postby williamsf1 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:49 pm

can we see some better photos of this going together?
williamsf1
Cat 3

Postby BMANX » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:11 pm

I will post some pictures if I every get mine. Since I am still building this bike, I will be able to do some better pics than Pritchet how is actually riding his bike.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BMANX
Cat 1

Postby BMANX » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:09 am

Since I do not have the cradle yet, I thought I would assemble the seat post with the AX yokes, standard craddle and the Ti bolts. The post is cut to 255mm and everything installed the post came in at 160g which would mean that the post should be 146g +/- 1g. I think that is great for a carbon aero post.

Cervelo Cradle 24g
Cervelo Yoke 24g
Cervelo Bolt for front of post 11g. I do not know what the stock back bolt weighs since I replaced it a long time ago with a Ti bolt.

AX Yokes 16g for the pair.
Ti bolts 10g for the pair
Carbon cradle 8g +/-0.5g

Cervelo post cut to 255mm 110g with nut. The nut for the front of the post is 1g.

Stock post when I got it was around 188g +/- 2g
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BMANX
Cat 1

Postby BMANX » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:57 am

Well I was a bit mis-informed when I said the postal office and the mounties were sharing the horses. They actually share the horse with the courier company as well and the make the damn horses swim across the Atlantic then they need to ride from the east coast all the way to the west coast. So nothing yet.

But somehow the lighting system that I order 2 days ago arrived. I was told there were no horses involved and they ran it all the way to my doorstep.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BMANX
Cat 1

Postby BMANX » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:54 am

My guess was correct and I was able to mount the new cradle today. 8g on my scale and the total seat post now comes in at 145g. I will try to take a picture of the post with the new mounts. I can save even more weight if I am willing to be a bit more creative but it will only be a gram or two. I think at 145 for the aero post, I will just stop.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BMANX
Cat 1

Postby ... » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:52 pm

I'm glad to hear that :wink: please let me know if everything works OK...
H a n d m a d e I n S l o v e n i a
Cat 1

Postby BMANX » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:20 pm

So far everything has been fine but I did notice that the diameter was a bit on the small side which does allow for a small bit of rocking. I do not have this matched up with the standard top part from Cervelo but I am overly surprised at how well the AX yokes are working with this set up and carbon Fizik rails.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BMANX
Cat 1

PreviousNext

Return to General cycling