Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Cervelo S2 & Cervelo RS

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Cervelo S2 & Cervelo RS

Postby williamsf1 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:03 pm

G'day all!

my current bike is a work in progress, as is the GF's bike....

firstly mine :-

2010 CERVELO S2 56cm

Full Dura - Ace 7900 inc. cassette 12-25 -- 53/39
3T TEAM stem 110mm
Cervelo post - stock aero
Specialized toupe 143 saddle
3T ergosum TEAM bars
3T tape
Easton EC90 AERO 2010 wheels tubular
carbon Ti Q/R
continental competition 22
lezyne valve ext.
garmin 705
speedplay zero
arundel carbon bottle cage x 1

weight = 6900g

IMG_3288 by aussie_pilot, on Flickr
IMG_3290 by aussie_pilot, on Flickr
IMG_3300 by aussie_pilot, on Flickr

CERVELO RS 2009 48cm

Full Ultegra 6700 SL compact crank 50/34 casstte 12-25 ultegra
Ritchie pro 100mm stem
FSA SLK seat post
specialized ruby 143 saddle
Reynolds stratus DV (46mm) white industries hubs 650c tubular
continental competition 22
3T ergonova pro bars
3T tape
garmin 305
speedplay cromo light action
lezyne extender x1 (other broke this week!)
arundel bottle cage x 2
carbon ti QR

weight = 7100g

IMG_3291 by aussie_pilot, on Flickr
IMG_3298 by aussie_pilot, on Flickr
IMG_3299 by aussie_pilot, on Flickr
IMG_3302 by aussie_pilot, on Flickr

now the big question is :-

1) what would you do to reduce weight from where I am at?

2) best cost / weight items first?

I would love to see both bikes around the 6300g mark.... but honestly can't see where all the weight is tied up!!!!!

can you please help me lighten these bikes, and not spend anything stupid also!!

currently I have a dura-ace 7900 cassette coming for the GF's bike so that will cut some grams... but not many!!!

cheers!!!!
williamsf1
Cat 3

Re: Cervelo S2 & Cervelo RS

Postby c50jim » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:06 pm

Those bikes look good as they are.

I've chased the weight objective off and on over the years and now have reconciled myself to 7.5 kg bikes with clinchers because I like the reliability of the parts at that level. You could save some grams by swapping to lighter brakes for example. Then you'd be tinkering all the time to get the brakes performing at 75% of the level of your Shimano ones. To me, that's not worth it.

If you've got the dough and don't need the maps, you could swap the 705 for a 500 but otherwise I can't think of any change that wouldn't reduce the pleasure associated with your bike. Yes, you could swap some Ultegra parts for DA on the GF's bike, but does she care about weight enough to make the money well spent?
c50jim
Cat 2

Postby dunlinii » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:08 pm

Take a look at Bman's bikes. He has taken a whole load of weight of his Cervelo without spending stupid money.

Also, I like the paint scheme/wheels on yours.
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby FAQinc » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:02 pm

For your S2 I would say it looks perfect as it is, if you want weight sheding than you have to go exotic, for your GF the groupo is an obvious one as it would not only shed weight but improve stiffnes and shifting.

P.S.Taking pictures of the chain in the biggest sprocket at the back and the big ring is not cool :P
Flatulence for men the musk that lingers.
FAQinc
Cat 2

Postby j0m » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:53 pm

Welcome aboard williamsf1!

Really nice bikes you got there. I agree with c50jim that there's not a big point in dropping weight, but it can be fun to switch parts and tinker with bikes and sometimes you find something nice that is light too.

If you want to find out where the weight comes from just list all you parts and compare against the list for some stupid light bike. That should give you an idea.

One bad way to save weight is to put on some crap (but light) tubulars. As for brakes I think EE works at least as good as Shimano (my first season on them, maybe they will disintegrate any day now :grin: ).
j0m
The Big Brain

Postby flameboy » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:26 pm

Nice couple of bikes :D

You both use arundel aero bottle, is it practical for everyday use?
flameboy
Cat 3

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:44 pm

Both nice bikes and at the weight your bikes are it does tend to cost a fair bit of money to lose weight. Saddles, cranks and brakes are the obvious ones and you could drop a few hundred grams gong for a lighter wheelset. However, they're not really necessary.

I'm not sure I like the chainrings on your gf's bike and I know girls like pink, but as the pedals are the only pink thing on the bike, I'd swap them.....immediately :grin:
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby williamsf1 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:08 am

excellent!!!

well I would love to hear any ideas....

yes the arundel aero bottles are fine for everyday use, not really much point having an aero bike and having big fat bottles!!!....

wheels are tyres are here to stay.... they are light enough!

fibre-lyte are you one and the same UK company? I see your site doesnt do much for dura-ace 7900 :(

what could you sell me ;)

the GF likes pink.... what can I do!!!! she whips up hills and has pink pedals.... not much wrong with that ;) and at 110lbs she is hard to catch when the ground starts to point up!! as Im 158lbs....

the saddle is not negotiable!!... I had her change from a selle italia that was good for up to 60km, but this specialized is lighter and also better up to 120km!

how much weight would I save going to after market cables?

could I change to RED cranks on her bike?

as RED is totally different to use, how do you guys feel someone would adapt? and is it adjustable for small hands?

I think I might spend up to 1K on each bike making them lighter... then the rest of the bits that come off go to uncle ebay!
williamsf1
Cat 3

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:35 pm

Yes, we are the one and same UK company (it's Stephen by the way and I work for them :wink: ). Are you from the UK?

Re: Dura Ace 7900, there's no real call for it from our point of view. Our chainrings fit, but with the crankset being 'moulded' to match the chainrings, I have a feeling that flat chainrings won't suit it as much. I could yet be convinced though. What do you think? The 7800 crankset seems far more popular with our customers. As for the derailleur plate, they are carbon as standard so unless someone breaks one, I would doubt they'd need one from us?

Regarding the cables, I think madcow did a weight comparison somewhere on the forum between Nokons and standard cables. As for the Ultegra SL cranks, I'd keep them unless you are really bothered about the weight, They look right on the bike.

I was joking about the pink pedals, I do actually like pink on a bike (Chris King parts especially) but they do look a bit out of place being the only pink thing. Best to keep her happy though :wink:
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby dunlinii » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:46 pm

Totally OT, but Stephen, you remember how you did that '3D' chainring a while back, do you reckon that you could do one that would match the 'moulded' look of 7900 a bit?

P.S - Did i read that the 3T tape was heavy. You could always change to something a bit lighter?
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:59 pm

I've thought about it, but the 7900 chainring is quite thick so the only way to get around it would either be to machine one from very thick sheet or mould a profile to a chainring. The moulded piece would be the better looking option but they wouldn't be cheap so whether it would be worth doing, I don't know. Might be something to try when we have a quiet patch.
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby BMANX » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:52 pm

If you really want to drop the weigh to the bikes, you can do it fairly inexpensive if you do your research upfront. Once you have a complete bike, then yes it becomes expensive. This is why I have always started with a frame/fork set up and pick the parts that I want. My SLC is currently hovering around the 13lbs mark and should be under that soon but I did spend some big bucks on wheels and cranks. Actually just the wheels as the cranks were only $450 Cdn. which was a great deal since they were then covered under warranty and I got new ones. Just lucky I guess.

With the 7900 group, the best way to save weight would be to change out the brakes and the cranks which would save you a bit of weight. You can also contact Ward Ti spindles and for $55 get some new ti spindles for the Zero's. But that is if you want to drop weight just for the sake of dropping weight. I think the S2 is sexy the way it is. At 6900g that is pretty good.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Cervelo SLC 5890g/12.98lbs
BMANX
Cat 1

Postby williamsf1 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:54 pm

ok!

so this is where I am at :--

RS

3T LTD seat post
3T LTD bars
3T TEAM stem (maybe???) = total saving of about 300g

change out the oem ultegra SL for RED = saving of 400g

so could be down to 6400g

might look at cables too? ilink alligator? are they the best value for money or nokon? (weight saved for $$)

S2

looking at bman88's zipp cranks, and these look to be the answer!!!! (and fibre -lyte rings too.... would be nice if they made a Q ring copy too ;) )

cables again?

maybe brakes? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 650wt_1133

I think the GF might end up on the better bike!!!! :O
williamsf1
Cat 3

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:28 pm

williamsf1 wrote:change out the oem ultegra SL for RED = saving of 400g

Is that the whole groupset you're planning to change?
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby williamsf1 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:41 am

well I could do just the RD FD and shifters.... but buying all of it makes more sense?

the other reason for the RED is the GF has small hands, and even with the ultegra brakes modded to be closer to the bars, she isn't happy being in the drops and going for the brakes... and I am led to believe that you can do a better job for small hands with the RED...

plus the weight loss ;)
williamsf1
Cat 3

Next

Return to General cycling