Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Extralite QRC Compact crankset.

Postby liidi » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:06 pm

Please tell something about stiffness.
what Grankset you have before and how these feel compared those previous cranks?
liidi
Cyclotourist

Postby djconnel » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:40 pm

The stiffness is reported in the crank shootout, in which he reports he'd "gladly trade a few grams" for a wider diameter axle which would increase the stiffness. He tests it there with TA chainrings, as opposed to the Extra-lites which he says don't shift as well.
djconnel
Cat 3

Postby liidi » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:00 pm

But how this feels in real life?
liidi
Cyclotourist

Postby ridley86 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:23 pm

how about the bearings? Are they good. We have a lot of rain here in belgium
ridley86
Cat 2

Postby Roy Batty » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:54 pm

Extralite chainrings are the one thing they do that doesn't pass muster. I sold my Clavicula's to Felix and he had a lot of problems with the chainrings. I've got the Fibre-Lyte's on mine, but also have some TA rings that are absolutely fine.

The ceramice bearings I have on my Extralite crankset are like butter. I'm very impressed with them.

Stiffness. I'm too old to bend cranks, so for me it's not an issue.

KB
Roy Batty
Cat 2

Re: Extralite QRC Compact crankset.

Postby drkester_dmd » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:17 am

Nice Review Madcow. I recently bought a Far and Near 50/34 110bcd for my Campy 2008 Chorus Compact crank, unfortunately campy has specific bolts for campy alone, "presto" it wont fit! Can these chainrings fit Extralite Ebones? And do they have Italian Bottom Brackets if I do get one? Thanks..
drkester_dmd
Cat 5

Postby jsmst32 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:15 am

Madcow,
would you still consider these the best overall lightweight crank on the market or has something replaced it? I wish someone would compare these with the cannondale SiSL's.
jsmst32
Cat 2

Postby madcow » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:07 pm

I'd consider these a really good crank, especially if stiffness isn't that important to you.

Personally I'm pretty excited for the new Smart foots.
madcow
Dork Overlord

Postby Matteo » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:02 am

Madcow, do you have any more information on the Tune Smartfoot or do we need to wait until after Eurobike? All I could find about the Smartfoot was some info on Light-Bikes, which said that the weight is supposed to be 580g for cranks and bottom bracket, but without rings. That would make them almost 100g heavier than the Extralite, and bring them to about 700g with rings. Does that agree with the information you have? Thanks!
Matteo
Cat 3

Postby multigrooves » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:10 am

I'm new to road bikes so please be patient with my (potentially) daft questions.

For my build I already purchased a std shimano crank but much prefer the look of the (compact) QRC. What is the current consensus with using standard sized rings on compact cranks?

If forced to use compact sized rings can I still use the same derallier ?

Does anyone have any idea about the release date of the QRC2 crank (which seems to have addressed the stiffness issues moentioned) and if it is an additional product to the range or an upgrade to the QRC reviewed here?

multigrooves
Cat 4

Postby Ypsylon » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:18 pm

multigrooves wrote:For my build I already purchased a std shimano crank but much prefer the look of the (compact) QRC. What is the current consensus with using standard sized rings on compact cranks?

There is a larger area to flex over, so in theory shifting to the larger chainring should be not as good as with 130 bcd rings, but in practice I don't think it's really an issue. If you choose a setup that is prone to not working well and use superlight chainrings and are very "feely" about shifting, you might end up not likeing it, but I doubt it.

multigrooves wrote:If forced to use compact sized rings can I still use the same derallier ?

I think Campy has or had a compact FD, but I doubt you couldn't use whatever you have now, just lower.

Since you can 53/39 chainrings with a 110 PCD it's a non-issue, but I wouldn't let a crank dictate my gearing, btw.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby multigrooves » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:21 am

How soon for a review here?
multigrooves
Cat 4

Previous

Return to Reviews