Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Cervélo aero post tuning

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: Cervélo aero post tuning

Postby Ypsylon » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:50 pm

The alu piece would be 5g saved without sacrificing anything else, like peace of mind. Sounds good to me.

But the cf one would save quite a bit more. We'll see if it holds up.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby ... » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:57 pm

I'm sceptic about the diameter and the saddle rails strenght... It's very possible that the rails crack because the "narrow juncture". What do you think? Of course it depends from the weight of cyclist :roll:

I made a prototype and it's a very small part - will post some photos as soon as I finish.
H a n d m a d e I n S l o v e n i a
Cat 1

Postby Ypsylon » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:29 pm

66kg and cursing the small piece of chocolate I just put in my mouth now.

Are you concerned about the carbon part breaking or the saddle because it won't get enough support from the clamping mechanism?

Personally, I have no idea if it would hold up or not.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby ... » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:04 pm

Ypsylon wrote:66kg and cursing the small piece of chocolate I just put in my mouth now.

:lol: :lol: As I see there won't be any problems with the weight.

I have 64kg (in season 62 and 186cm :grin: ) and I don't have any problems with any component...

But I "borrowed" a seat post that I made (a "strong edition" - 136g, the diameter of the clamping mechanism is 30mm) and the titanium saddle rail of Selle Italia SLR cracked (because the riders weight...? :roll: cca. 85kg). The screws were 5Nm.

So I thought that 22mm isn't the best salvation..
Cat 1

Postby BMANX » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:28 pm

I would like to bring this thread back to life if at all possible. I would really like to get this carbon cardle going again. I have been able to cut down my post and by using a Ti bolt for the rear position have the weight down to 170g but the heaviest part of this post is the head unit. I have carbon cradle and top piece now for my Thomson posts which saved a lot of weight and I was hoping to do the same on my SLC post in hopes of getting my SLC (Not SLC-SL) down to under 13 lbs. It sits at 5990g now but I need to get this down to under 5892g which I am very close to doing.

So let me know what you need from us and I will try to help out as much as possible.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Cervelo SLC 5890g/12.98lbs
BMANX
Cat 1

Postby ... » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:09 pm

I can try to make it tomorrow - I will have some free time and I will do some more work on the "Berk PROTO-TYPE 2" frame and I can try to make a "proto-type cardle" during the work. But as I mentioned, the saddle rails could crack..? When I make it I can send it to test it during the ride..? I saddly don't know anywho whit that seatpost.

Will write more tomorrow for sure, because this weekend I supposed to have a race but it was canceled, so I will be at home.
Cat 1

Postby BMANX » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:26 pm

I would be willing to test it out for sure and I could just use my original Fizik ariond with ti metal rails for testing before using it on my carbon railed verson.

We can discuss on PM if you like. I can give it a good ride one day to work and back which is about 70km I will take the standard version with me. Lucky for me the woman that works for me start 1.5 hours after me and can pick me up if anything fails. It is actually a good test set up.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BMANX
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:48 am

Make 2 of them please. I need one for my SLC-SL. :mrgreen:
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Ypsylon » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:16 am

Since we seem to be making a list here... I'd appreciate one as well and wouldn't mind being a testing monkey, but don't let us rush you.

I do think you could sell a bunch of them, if you want to go there.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby ... » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:03 pm

I just finished with the carbon work! The carbon "small tube" will be dry tomorrow..It will be around 5mm thick...Will write more about it tomorrow and of course some photos to follow soon.
Cat 1

Postby BMANX » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:30 pm

I can not wait to see the cradle and try it out. This should be a big help in me getting my SLC (Not SLC-SL) down to under 13 lbs.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BMANX
Cat 1

Postby ... » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:29 am

Some really good news about the weight - it will be a SUB 10g cradle for sure 8-)

It's 5mm thick

Just 20.1g - of course still some work to do!

Later I have to shorten it on both sides, make the holes and saw through.

Yesterday I made a ALU "mould" (very similar to the ALU cradle, just different size) for exact drilling and forming..

Hope you like it :wink:
Cat 1

Postby ... » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:41 am

Ypsylon wrote:I have no clue if it would hold up, but I'd try it and carry the original part around just in case. :top:

The 2r/diameter is ~2.2cm.

If it helps, a 20 euro cent coin is ever so slightly bigger, a 5 euro cent coin is just a tad smaller.

The diameter I made is the same as on 5 euro cent coin. Later I will add one thin layer of epoxy resin, and if the diameter will be to big, you can just "water-grind" the surface to fit perfectly.

I just hope that the saddle rails won't crack..
Cat 1

Postby BMANX » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:15 pm

I do not think they will crack. Either way I will try it out with an old saddle first with ti rails. All is good from the three of us asking for this part.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BMANX
Cat 1

Postby ... » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:53 pm

I just finished the first proto-type cradle.

I can make it better - the saddle "grooves" aren't perfect because I mede them a little bit to narrow (cca. 1mm) and I had to widen them. But it is possible to make them under 10g - this time just 8.0g!

I can try to make some new ones, and yes, they should be SUB 9g!

Two of them: 8.0g and 8.3g.

I can make the SUB 9g cradles if you are interested.
Cat 1

PreviousNext

Return to General cycling