Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Taking my Di2 Internal, and the trip to Colorado, FINISHED!

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: Taking my Di2 Internal, and the trip to Colorado, FINISH

Postby pritchet74 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:03 am

Yes, black arms. My SRM is a complete custom build with 16 strain gauges, so it's basically a Science model that's the same weight as the Pro model. And it's black too, so that rocks.

Concerning warranty on the frame, I am just not too concerned about that. I know that the single hole I drilled will in no way effect the structural strength of the frame (I am a structural engineer and I have a good friend that's one of the head engineers at Cervelo). Also, the local Cervelo dealer has been advertising that they are the only dealership that's authorized by Cervelo to drill frames for Di2 without voiding the warranty. I know that's bullshit though as far as them being "the only one", because that's not the way things work. With that being said though, if there was ever to be a warranty issue with my SLC-SL I don't think that I would have a problem getting a new frame.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Nick S » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm

Well that's all very nice for you, perhaps you could give me a contact there who might advise me on a way forward, my frame is an S2 latest model so already has 2 holes but I don't think they can be adapted to work.

Cheers
Nick S
Cat 4

Postby pritchet74 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:10 pm

You don't need to do any drilling then. The hole I drilled is smaller than the hole you already have. You might just need to fit the spliced cable in the hole and not the wire connector. If you know how to solder wires and use heat shrink tubing it is super easy.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Cheers! » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:24 am

Why didn't you get rid of the shimano battery pack all together and assemble your own? I.e. Lithium polymer battery pack with the same voltage output and either the same current rating or bigger. That way you will save even more weight over "cell" batteries.

The Shimano ones look like 18650 cells.
Cheers!
Cat 2

Postby pritchet74 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:20 pm

I thought about it, but it came down to cost. At the time I was doing the project I didn't have extra funds for bike related stuff, and since I already had the charger it was easiest to just work with what I already had.

I wouldn't rule it out as a future project though.
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby chops » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:42 pm

Numpty question perhaps, but what sort of cable are you using for splicing?
chops
Cat 5

Postby chops » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:05 pm

Can anyone help me out with some questions I have before getting going with my mod? I haven't done any electronics since school so I'm VERY rusty. Please correct me if anything I have stated is wrong.

1 - the cable to the battery has 4 wires inside, 2 red (positive), 2 black (negative). Can I just splice the two positive together into a single wire for connecting to the battery and do the same with the two negative wires?

2 - Do you connect the red to the positive terminal on the battery and the black to the negative?

3 - What sort of wire should I be using for splicing and dicing?

4 - Would these be a suitable connector? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-Way-Electrical- ... 29fe88acc8
chops
Cat 5

Postby pritchet74 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:23 pm

I used 18 gauge wire from Radio Shack. The Shimano wires are thinner than that though, but it goes together well. Just keep track of which wires go where and you will be fine. Also, use flux with your solder for a proper connection. Rosin core solder doesn't work nearly as well. Apply liquid flux to the wires, then apply the solder.

Good luck!
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby chops » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:48 pm

Thanks. I've managed to get a green light on the junction box with the camera battery by just touching the wires onto it. So it's moving in the right direction.
chops
Cat 5

Postby gogo419 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:05 pm

What are the approx dimensions of the battery before you took it apart?
cheers
gogo419
Cat 4

Postby pritchet74 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:01 pm

I didn't measure it before I took it apart. The cells are about 14mm in diameter though.
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Di2 Internal on Cervelo P4 - Soldering instead of junction b

Postby Cervelat » Thu May 05, 2011 10:56 pm

I love this thread. It gave me tons of ideas how to integrate Di2 into my 2011 Cervelo P4. The Di2 stuff will come on monday and I'll start working on it then.

One question I still have though (apart from why Cervelo doesn't create holes big enough for an effortless internal Di2 installation) is: Can you get rid of the junction box B and just solder all/some of the cables together (FD,RD,Batt, wire to junction box A).

I ask because there seem to be different wiring paths that could work but not 100%. The problem is I can fit one wire through to the other side but not two. I'm thinking about putting the battery and the junction box B into the aero-waterbottle and drive one cable through the middle thread for the waterbottle mounting. That seems to work but from there I would have to get back down to reach the rear dereilleur internally. I've checked and I could also open the battery and put it into the seat-post (wiring goes through the watterbottle mounting thread on the seat-tube).

It seems I will need to do some splicing and soldering anyway so I'd like to make it as clean and easy as possible.

Thanks for all feedback & advice
Cervelat
Cyclotourist

Postby pritchet74 » Fri May 06, 2011 3:33 pm

If you follow the wiring diagram I don't see why you couldn't eliminate it.

Good luck with your project and post pics when you are done!
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby CTracer » Fri May 06, 2011 6:09 pm

Chops,

Maybe these 4-pin connectors?

http://store.letsled.com/Connector-LED- ... d-cw02.htm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2752wt_920

I want to cut my Di2 main wire under the down tube near the BB so I can use Di2 on a coupled travel bike. I was looking into connectors and ordered the above but I found out the main wire has 5 wires.

Outside of ordering new Shimano wiring kits and cutting them do you guys have any suggestions for 5 pin waterproof connectors?
CTracer
Cyclotourist

Previous

Return to General cycling