Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Dash, a quick introduction

Dash, a quick introduction

Postby madcow » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:40 pm

While not new to composite construction Dash is new to the cycling segment. All of their products are designed and built in Boulder Colorado. So far they don't have a very wide range of products, but they do seem to be off to a good start. 2 saddles, with 2 versions of each and a front hub are now available, with other things coming soon. Recently I picked up a couple pieces to check out and here's my early review.

G49/G67 Full carbon saddle. There are two versions of the full carbon saddle. The G67, which I got and the lighter G49 which is identical is shape and fit, but varies in weight, price and restrictions. The G67 is claimed at 67grams, mine ended up being 64.2 MSRP of $425 and a weight limit of 200lbs. (The G49 is 49gr, $750 and 165lbs limit.) My first impression was that the finish was great for such a light saddle. I've typically come to expect one of two things, either a form over function attitude in which a component sacrifices aesthetics and finish quality in trade for performance, or a component that looks the part but usually comes out hefty in the weight department. The G67 really has hit them both. The weight is good, the weight limit is high, the price is reasonable and the finish is really well done.

The shape. With full carbon saddles shape is very important. Either they fit you or they don't. This one is similar in dimensions to a Specialized touped. It uses a slightly wide nose with almost no shape front to rear but with a slight concave from left to right. The rear of the saddle is a very nice width like the Spec, but drops at a steeper angle. The wings also have a bit of front/rear concave to them which limits the number of comfortable positions for me to only 1, but makes that position really quite comfortable. I'll have to see about it over longer rides, but so far have no complaints about fit or finish.

While the saddles are allowed to be used on an unsupported pillar style post like Kcnc, Schmolke, Ax, etc... I do have some concerns about it, particularly with a larger rider. The carbon rails are slightly less than 7mm carbon with no casing. While I have no doubts this will be enough for me, I do question it's long term durability for large riders. Even though the guys at Dash claim to have tested it quite thoroughly with larger riders and are confident in the design, they were willing to listen to my concerns on it, and surprisingly are already addressing them. A different version of the saddle will be coming with oversized rails. I believe it will be better for larger riders and those looking to do some mtb riding or slightly rougher roads on them, especially in a Kcnc type post.

Aero99/Aero90 padded carbon saddle. Specs on the Aero99 are a claimed weight of 99grams, mine was 93.4grams. Msrp of $395 and a weight limit of 200lbs. (The Aero90 is 10grams lighter, $485 at retail and has a 165lbs weight limit.) I find it amusing that while coming from the same company, the same production facility and even having the same shape that the padded saddle can be so different from the full carbon version. Unlike the G67, this Aero99 saddle has the not so refined artisan look that we've come to expect from many boutique companies. Personally I don't see the need for the aero90. For me the 99 with it's much more durable build, sub $400 price and still reasonable weight is a really ideal saddle. So while I liked the G67, I have to admit that it's one amongst many very nice lightweight carbon saddles. The Aero99 though really does bring something new to the table. The Aero99 is a well padded, super comfortable sub100 gram saddle, and I love it. I'm kicking myself for having let it sit in my office for over a week before I finally got around to trying it. At first I expected padding similar to some of the other offerings that just have a piece of leather or other covering but no actual padding. Pressing a bolt into the padding and measuring it's depth I found that the padding is about 4mm thick, which was a huge surprise. To help keep costs down, the carbon underneath is unfinished in aesthetic terms. So the bottom of the saddle is simply painted and then the padding put on the top. The padding has just a couple of very subtle waves to it giving it the hand finished artisan look. The painted white bottom certainly lacks a certain professional finishing quality, but honestly, I just don't care. The saddle is light, comfy and well priced, so I'm willing to accept the typical form over function look in places that won't ever be seen anyway. Like the G series the aero series should have a larger railed version also available for heavier riders or those looking to do more off road riding.

If this saddle is any indication of other coming products, I think I'll certainly be looking forward to them and getting any new products for testing.
Attachments
IMG_0310.jpg
IMG_0312.jpg
IMG_0315.jpg
IMG_0317.jpg
madcow
Dork Overlord

Re: Dash, a quick introduction

Postby dunlinii » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:57 am

Very impressive weights, but the look doesn't do it for me. Shame.
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby trigeek » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:25 am

All I can say is wow! Weight is amazing. Carbon Fiber finish is awesome...can't wait to try it!
trigeek
Cyclotourist

Postby über-goober » Sun May 30, 2010 4:53 am

3 rides so far and I'm loving this saddle... :D

I'd take it on long rides no problem. It fits a lot like the SLR that it replaced. Nice and comfy. A few different friends have test ridden it and all say they are impressed and like the shape.

Down sides? The way the rails are shaped, it might lack adequate setback with some seatposts and steeper seat angles. I wanted to use some AX top clamps (to reduce stress on the rails) but that put the saddle over a cm too far forward. It did go back far enough on this bike using KCNC yokes, but that is w/ a slack 72 seat angle. (I ride with 8cm of setback.)

So that is maybe an issue or maybe not for some people. And then something I'll have to watch: the side surfaces are a little sharp. Not noticeable while pedaling, but just thinking it could wear out that part of your shorts more quickly. Again maybe no issue at all - I'll have to see.

This is one of their earliest ones out of the mold, that will be called the '49' is my understanding. Mine is as light as I'd ever need a saddle but the word is that there are still a few more grams that will be shed on the production models. In dealing w/ them, my experience is they are 100% honest about their claimed weights.
Sweet saddle. 2 thumbs up on the blend of flavors. :wink:
the problem? could be the nut behind the handlebars.
über-goober
Cat 2

Postby Gumgardner » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:53 pm

Dash confirmed to me that they are going to release a wider (135-140mm) saddle in the next month or two. It's much needed. What they are offering now is super narrow. Best part... They are taking requests for shape. I asked for a shape like the prologo scratch with a depression down the middle. Here's hoping they make one;)
Gumgardner
Cat 2

Postby UpFromOne » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:20 pm

Here's one of their models with a big trench in the middle:

http://dashcycles.com/index.php?page=sh ... &Itemid=42
UpFromOne
Cat 4

Return to Reviews