Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Taking my Di2 Internal, and the trip to Colorado, FINISHED!

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: Taking my Di2 Internal, and the trip to Colorado, FINISHED!

Postby colorchange » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:27 pm

Thanks Pritchet. I really appreciate your opinions and input.

Here is what I"m planning to do. Will you please share any of your wisdom or opinions?

Junction Cable
I think I am just going to enlarge the regular shifting cable stop and use that for the junction wire. I should be able to drill it out but leave enough so that it will still work as a cable stop. Not quite as clean as yours but I don't have to go into the frame that way. I'm thinking of cutting the junction cable near the small connector end (near the BB), then feeding the cable through the shift cable port on the down tube through the bottom of the BB, do the wire splicing outside the BB, then connect the wire to the lower junction thingy and tucking it all inside the BB.

FD Cable
I can feed the FD cable down through the existing FD frame hole, connect it to the lower junction thingy, then stuff it back up inside the BB.

RD Cable
Easily feeds through the hole in the end of the chainstay and then fish the wire through the BB hole, connect to lower junction thingy and stuff inside BB.

Battery Cable
I plan to connect the battery cable to the lower junction thingy and then stuff it inside the BB. I plan to temporarily mount the battery using the screw hole on the underside of the BB.

Shifter Cables
Temporarily route them on the outside of my (internal channeled) handlebars. If the wire splicing of the Junction Cable goes well, I will then refit and splice them inside the handlebars.

Are the wires color coded inside the cables or do I need to check continuity?
colorchange
Cat 4

Postby pritchet74 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:38 pm

Everything sounds good, but I don't see how you will mount the battery. If you have it sorted out then just be sure to post pics in the gallery when its all done.

Yes, the wires are all color coded. It should be common sense, but be sure the battery is disconnected before you start cutting and splicing wires.

Good luck!
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby colorchange » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:21 pm

Thanks man, having your approval makes tearing into this stuff a lot lower stress!
colorchange
Cat 4

Postby coloclimber » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:24 pm

You can also pull the Shimano patents for wiring/color diagrams but its really not necessary.S3 and SLC-SL are one of the easiest frames to modify for internal routing.
-Enjoy the Ride
coloclimber
Cat 2

Postby colorchange » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:38 am

OK, have the wire running through the down tube but had to remove the zip ties (to stop rattling). Do I need to worry about it as I can think of no way to get zip ties or much of anything else up the wire inside the down tube to prevent rattles. Any thoughts? Maybe some rubber o-rings I could push up with some straws but don't know how much good they would do?
colorchange
Cat 4

Postby pritchet74 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:45 am

Mine rattles a bit too. I don't even notice it though. Maybe with round tubes the zip-ties work, but they didn't do shit for my frame. Silly aero tubes, eh? It's like having a super hot wife that can't cook. You just deal with having to do the cooking yourself. :wink:

(I will say that my super hot wife is an awesome cook. I just wanted to make that clear.)
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby colorchange » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:00 pm

OK, I thought I would just deal with it. Thanks.
colorchange
Cat 4

Postby eliflap » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:47 pm

some ideas of a mtb application ?
eliflap
Cat 3

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:47 pm

It's awesome as a MTB group - the guys at the Fairwheel Bikes shop have done it to at least one MTB and from what I hear it's gotten great reviews.
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby eliflap » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:21 am

i red it in the april issue of italian edition of MBAction

but it's a Dura Ace rear der ... it fits a 11-32 cassette , i used too on my Scalpel

but cannot work with a larger cog ...

so my question is : are the electronic Dura Ace cages replaceable ? inner and outer cages are often changed with carbon ones ...

so i thought they can be replaced with carbon XTR ones to have a bigger teeth cacacity and be able to accept a 11.36T XX cassette too
eliflap
Cat 3

Re: Taking my Di2 Internal, and the trip to Colorado, FINISH

Postby madcow » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:19 pm

Jeff, I just realized that I never replied in this thread. I just wanted to say that you and nathan did a great job. It looks really clean.

bman88 wrote:It is pretty cool but think of all the time you could have saved with a wireless system. I bet Madcow has one hidden away that he is not allowed to discuss and for some crazy reason it will show up on XC build or something like a town bike build.

Close but not exact. Can't say more for a couple months still.

eliflap wrote:i red it in the april issue of italian edition of MBAction

but it's a Dura Ace rear der ... it fits a 11-32 cassette , i used too on my Scalpel

but cannot work with a larger cog ...

so my question is : are the electronic Dura Ace cages replaceable ? inner and outer cages are often changed with carbon ones ...

so i thought they can be replaced with carbon XTR ones to have a bigger teeth capacity and be able to accept a 11.36T XX cassette too

Eli, A DA der is the only option for now(there has been some discussion of playing with a Nexave Di2 derailleur, but I have my doubts about that.) Anyway, yes the cages can be replaced, Dark Albert can do a set of custom ones for you. The custom cages are typically done to allow for larger pulleys for which they work great. However in this case it's the parallelogram of the derailleur that is the limiting factor and not the cages. A custom cage would probably give a little extra clearance provided you are using a 10t upper, but probably not enough to switch to a 34t and still have clearance.
madcow
Dork Overlord

Postby eliflap » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:54 pm

thanks for tips and reply

i solved a problem with a 10T upper

run a X.0 long cage 9 speeds derailleur with a 11-36T XX 10speeds cassette
eliflap
Cat 3

Postby Cyco » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:46 pm

Wouldn't it be easier to make the derailleur hanger a few mm longer to give the clearance?
If it fails just after the finish line it is over built. It should fail right on it to be the perfect weight
Cyco
Cat 3

Postby philischen » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:20 pm

Nice job on the DI2...

But my eyes also see something else interesting for me... BLACK SRM CRANK ARMS on a SRM Pro

Any info on that??? Painted? If original, where to get???

Tanks a lot...
philischen
Cat 5

Postby Nick S » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:39 pm

I have an email from Cervelo that I received last week that says it does invalidate your warranty if you drill the frame anywhere for internal Di2 routing?
Nick S
Cat 4

PreviousNext

Return to General cycling