Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

New Kcnc C6 and C7 Brakes

New Kcnc C6 and C7 Brakes

Postby madcow » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:04 pm

The CB1 brakes have now been on the market for 2.5 years, and Kcnc has decided it's time to make some changes.

The most notable is that there are now two models, the C7(on the left) and the C6(on the right)

Both the C6 and C7 are very similar to each other. So rather than compare them to each other at first, we'll note how they are different from the Cb1.
While the main concept is the same the biggest change is that the front arm becomes a double that sandwiches what was previously the rear arm. This change makes the arm quite a bit stiffer.

The change allows the pinch bolt assembly to move so the cable attachment is in the center rather than sticking off the back of a single layer arm. By moving the cable attachment they further reduced the flex. Overall those two changes make a big difference in the stiffness and feel of the brakes. The new cable attachment is not power cordz compatible without some creative solutions such as is required with the Ax brakes.

Another difference is in the way the front and rear arms are pinned to move simultaneously. Previously is was an aluminum pin sitting in an aluminum groove. Now the pin has brass rollers on the ends which makes for a smoother movement.

Those are the main performance updates and all together make a noticeable improvement on an already good lightweight brake.

The C7 as a set has dropped 2 grams in weight from the CB1, while the C6 is heavier.

The C7 comes with red pads for alloy rims and a set of cork pads for carbon rims. While the C6 comes only with a set of orange pads for alloy rims. While the red and orange pads are an improvement over the original multi compound pads of the CB1, they still aren't as good as a set of Swiss stop yellow or green. Adding the swiss stop really changes the feel of the brake and makes it quite a good performer.

The C6 and C7 don't differ in design, just in materials.

The C6 is 6061 aluminum with stainless steel bolts and springs. It comes in 6 colors and has a retail price of $180. Weight for the set is 215grams.

The C7 is the flagship. It's made of 7075 aluminum and has all titanium bolts and springs. It comes only in 4 colors and has a retail price of $330. Weight for the set is 161grams.
madcow
Dork Overlord

Re: New Kcnc C6 and C7 Brakes

Postby jrennie » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:02 pm

Very nice but those logos.... :crazy:
Quicky von Quick Quick
jrennie
El Campeón '10

Postby dunlinii » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:20 pm

:goodpost:
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby Juanmoretime » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:37 am

I do like the design changes but the logo's have to go. I guess re-annodizing would be called for. How are they priced compared to the CB-1?
For my next trick I will set myself on fire!
Juanmoretime
Cat 1

Postby dunlinii » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:07 pm

It looks like they have come from a kids funfair.
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby JudgeNick » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:05 am

Awesome -- nice to see KCNC always moving forward. I love their brakes and skewers. And for the naysayers on the graphics ... just get rid of them, like I did.

JudgeNick
Cat 3

Postby Kvaksalver » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:57 pm

Nick, how did you remove the graphics? I thought they were etched before anoing?
Kvaksalver
Cyclotourist

Postby dunlinii » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:53 pm

I think that bike needs to appear in the Gallery...
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby dmotoguy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:55 pm

Do the pad holders swap between the cb1's? and are they available separately?
dmotoguy
Cat 5

Postby ferrarista » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:32 pm

looking to know how they compare in power and modulation to the stock campy, shimano and zero gravity , ee, etc...
ferrarista
Cat 2

Postby madcow » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:04 pm

dmotoguy wrote:Do the pad holders swap between the cb1's? and are they available separately?

Yes they swap and yes they are available separately.

ferrarista wrote:looking to know how they compare in power and modulation to the stock campy, shimano and zero gravity , ee, etc...
Less power and modulation than Shimano, a little less power and modulation than Campag rear brake a little more power and modulation than ZG.
madcow
Dork Overlord

Postby ferrarista » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:58 am

thanks for the reply Jason. spot on as always!
ferrarista
Cat 2

Postby über-goober » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:50 pm

The CB1 brakes stopped pretty well for my 70 kilos. I didn't love the graphics so here are some efforts with spray paint and faux carbon tape: :D

the problem? could be the nut behind the handlebars.
über-goober
Cat 2

Postby sjubbis » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:38 am

Hi! Been trying to figure out which pads to replace the stock C7 (red ones) pads with. Looks like the SwissStop greens is the way to go? any other opinions? See I can get them for around $30 on ebay. What is the main difference between yellow and green? When buying, will the SwissStop Shimanos bee compatible?
I'm a fairly heavy rider (about 190 lbs), the C7 works out ok for me, my old ultegra 6700 did "feel" a bit more solid and firm, but the weight savings are pretty significant...

sjubbis
Cat 4

Postby Ypsylon » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:46 pm

Generally, green is for aluminium rims, yellow is for carbon. IIRC, it's not a strict "only" thing, but those are the materials they were designed for.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Next

Return to Reviews