Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Cervélo aero post tuning

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Cervélo aero post tuning

Postby Ypsylon » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:04 pm

Since Bman and I are onto something here I thought it would be good to give it it's own thread, in order to not spam a buch of threads. I'll start off with some pics.

Bottom piece of the saddle clamp:
Attachments
cerveloaeropostcradle.jpg
cerveloaeropostcradle1.jpg
cerveloaeropostcradle2.jpg
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Re: Cervélo aero post tuning

Postby Ypsylon » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:15 pm

It's pretty porky, but I guess for a reason?

Would it be safe to replace it with a 7075 or carbon fibre piece?

The upper part is 21g, but I'm planning on replacing it with KCNC yokes, which would save ~8g.

Maybe the nut holding the front bolt could be replaced with ti? Would be another 4g or so.
Attachments
cervaeropostnut.jpg
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby ... » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:26 pm

Hello!

Now I see what did you mean in the previous threat :)

Probably I can help you - I could try to make it. First of all I would need thihs measure:
Usually it's 30mm :roll:

The "other pieces" aren't soo important, because I can design it by myself and I know those measures...
Just a quick sketch!
H a n d m a d e I n S l o v e n i a
Cat 1

Postby ... » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:31 pm

P.S.

X=?
Cat 1

Postby BMANX » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:19 pm

That would be very cool and thank you for getting this posted Ypsylon.

I have already tuned my post with Ti bolts which dropped the weight a bit and I now think the post at 178-179g. I could cut my post as well to drop a bit more weight but I always think about resale on a proprietary post like this one.

I have two posts right now. I have the single position and a double position carbon post at this time so if you can come up with a lighter head option, I would be in for sure and would be more than happy to test as well.

The seat post is a bit of a bugger as well. I think they really could have come up with a bit better design but it is what it is.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Cervelo SLC 5890g/12.98lbs
BMANX
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:32 pm

I have the same post & would also like to shave some weight. I have been meaning to cut the post shorter, but just haven't gotten around to it.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby dunlinii » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:03 pm

That part does look like pig iron.
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby BMANX » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:16 pm

Yep it sure does and you should see how they have designed the head with bolts from the top and bottom holding the cradle.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BMANX
Cat 1

Postby dunlinii » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:25 pm

I was under the impression cervelo designers were good ones?
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby Ypsylon » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:21 pm

I'm sure they are, but at the end of the day they are a company that needs to make money to pay its employees. Nothing wrong with that.

And people look at the weight of the frame when they make their decision.

..., the cradle thingy is sorta hard to measure, but I've got a spare one I could send you to copy off. It would be good if you could provide a price, though, either by posting it here or by pming the people that want one. I'm really into fiddeling with the details, but my pockets only have a certain depth.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby Ypsylon » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:26 pm

bman88 wrote:Yep it sure does and you should see how they have designed the head with bolts from the top and bottom holding the cradle.

Not sure if you actually want to see it.

As I said, I'm replacing it with KCNC yokes for now. I'm undecided wether I should file out the threads of one of the yokes or the upper part of one of the bolts yet. New Ultimate went the bolt way, so I guess that's what I'm gonna do. Any engineers here that would see an advantage to either method?
Attachments
cervaeroposttopclamp.jpg
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby dunlinii » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:27 pm

No there is nothing wrong with that, but its the details that make a good company a brilliant one.

Anyway, back on topic :oops:
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby Cheers! » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:46 am

Bman,

IF you ever make your way to Kistlano in Vancouver. Visit http://www.speedtheory.ca/

I was crashing at a friend's place for 3 weeks (I'm from Ontario). I walked into the store and they are a huge Cervelo and Tri shop. They had single position seastposts (small, and medium) in carbon for 50 bucks a pop. They were take offs from customers bikes who wanted longer posts. I was tempted at buying a 2008 SLC they had for 3000 bucks with dura 7800.

But I oculdn't justify having 3 cervelos and I had to get my own Kona back home on the plane. I don't think Westjet would take two bike boxes.
Cheers!
Cat 2

Postby BMANX » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:56 am

Have been in Speedtheory a few too many times for the wifes liking and it is an hour drive from my place but if they have single position post for 50 bucks a pop then I am going to head there in the next week and buy a small which I think would work for the build. I can tune the crap out of it and if it gets wrecked then who care for $50.

A small might actually fit the bill quite nicely and be lighter.

Cheers, Cheers!
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BMANX
Cat 1

Postby ... » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:15 am

Ypsylon wrote:..., the cradle thingy is sorta hard to measure, but I've got a spare one I could send you to copy off. It would be good if you could provide a price, though, either by posting it here or by pming the people that want one. I'm really into fiddeling with the details, but my pockets only have a certain depth.

When I find some more free time I will make a prototype with these dimensions & test it:

Will keep you updated :wink:

Greetings from Slovenia!
Cat 1

Next

Return to General cycling