Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

S P I N introX

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: S P I N introX

Postby Boonen » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:30 pm

Looks great Andy! 8-)
One thing I've been wondering about is the cable routing though, is this meant to be a pure cross frame or more a touring style frame? Either way I don't think it'll matter much to you, you've build one of the absolute nicest cross bikes I've ever seen, nice job! :D

If the front vibrates while braking try moving the straddle of the front brake up, it'll give you smoother braking and will probably help reduce brake studder. (will make you get rid of that spliced cable as well :wink:)
Same for the rear, if you can't lock the rear wheel like it is move the straddle down and you'll get more power, although the name speed modulators will probably still be appropriate it might help you a little.

andy2 wrote:Gotta get back to work...bloody clients :angryOnFire:

:lol: Need some help with those? I thought usually the bloody one's weren't the one's keeping you busy ... :wink:
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby andy2 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:15 pm

pritch: I knew those pork chops would like totally buy you over.

rascel: They feel strong enogh to me, I've stressed them as hard as I can, no problem so far :)
It's not a real crosser though, please see below. One problem i do have with the Schmolkes
is the really short extensions at the bottom of the drop. When flipped the way I like it I really
can't use the drops without hitting my arms on the top of the bars. Should have gone with the
custom, longer, option..darn..

boonen: Should have changed that cable rather than hosing off the bike. Must have been through at least
a half dozen trying to set the darns things up.. Thanks for the tips Boonen. The spooky people should be glad
there is no goverment agency regulating the performace of bike brakes!!
At least with the TRP pad holders I can set the angle. We'll see how the new krautstoppers will perform..
I will just blame Adrien for the studder, I know he doesn't mind! (Being french and therefore totally lacking pride!) :angelMrGreen:

No the bike has bottle holders and road routing, it's used as a fall/winter/spring -gravel road-training bike.

(Adriens wheels and the performance of the vertebraes together with SR are both in the revelatory region. Nice match for the frame!)
L'enfer, c'est les autres.
andy2
Cat 2

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:10 am

Firstly, that's definitely one of the nicest bikes I've seen. Secondly.. a winter bike :shock: I'd put it in an air conditioned box and leave it there :grin: Without doubt the best cross style bike I've ever seen :applause:
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby pritchet74 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:17 am

Ya, I almost shit myself when I read it was just going to be a winter training bike. A bike that amazing deserves to be ridden ALL the time!
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:19 am

Never a truer word said. I'm just not sure I'd be brave enough to subject a bike of that quality and value to the worst weather that Europe can throw at it. Now if I lived in Tucson.... :D
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby rosss » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:29 am

I have waited months to see this thing completed, It is my favorite bike on here for sure!
rosss
Cat 5

Postby andy2 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:03 am

Heartfelt thanks everyone!

I do use the bike every day, and up here the fall/winter/spring season is 3/4 of the calendar :negative: .
The first damage to the flawlessly finished Caviculas was yesterday with a nice sharp stone shooting off
from the front tire :'( .
Conditions where easier back when I lived in Pasadena, but we have vast streches of dirt roads an woodland tracks
here that you simply don't find in overcrowded LA.

I have changed the fornt brake cable and adjusted the brakes according to Boonens advice. Felt better, Thanks!

Here's a side pic + the obligatory BB pic:
andy2
Cat 2

Postby rosss » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:16 pm

drool

what is the wheelset?
whats the weight?
rosss
Cat 5

Postby andy2 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:04 pm

Those are edge 45 rims build up with Tune/RAR 24h 2:1 in the rear and Alchemy 20h up front.

The weight of the bike as is in the piccie is a very unsexy 6.10kg.
Don't know if I can get downto 5.9 with rideable components :bangHead: ?!
andy2
Cat 2

Postby rosss » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:16 pm

use edge 25 rims and save 200 grams per rim maybe?

still an impressive weight
rosss
Cat 5

Postby dunlinii » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:28 pm

Its such a nice bike. The green, and matt claviculas...:roll:
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:45 pm

Those are my dream criterium racing wheels. Lucky bastard....

And how did you get from Pasadena to Sweden? You are in Sweden, right?
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby andy2 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:01 am

When not in la douce France, Sweden yes!
Pasadenaish - we rented a house in Chang Marino in the 90's.
Great schools! Long story, etc...
andy2
Cat 2

Postby marecej » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:24 pm

this is probably the best looking bicycle i've seen build this year
Ellsworth Truth <- 9,586 kg
marecej
Cat 3

Postby Boonen » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:35 pm

andy2 wrote:I have changed the fornt brake cable and adjusted the brakes according to Boonens advice. Felt better, Thanks!

I was actually thinking of moving it much further upwards so if you still have problems with the front brake try a new shift cable in the spookies and move it way up :wink:

I'd think the fmb tubs would get you under 6 kg? :D
Boonen
Faster than Superman

PreviousNext

Return to General cycling