Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Introducing Victoria....... (new wheels on Page 31)

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: Introducing Victoria....... (Version 2.0 coming soon)

Postby BMANX » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:07 pm

You might want to think about those again on a frame that runs the cables internal. I beleive (and can be very wrong) that those only work on external run cables. I was thinking of doing the exact same thing with my SLC and was informed on ST that it would not work as these cable splicers only work on exposed cables between cable stops.

If you can get these set up and functioning then I will be selling my P2K used frame in a second and building up a transfer TT kit for me to use on the SLC and buying another seat post and TT saddle to do the exact same thing.

You do not really have to worry about the front brake ever but it is the rear brake and shifter cables that become the issue.

You have to post pictures but now it is more important than ever to post picture of this set up in both ways and how you got the splicers to work.

Cheers
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Cervelo SLC 5890g/12.98lbs
BMANX
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:30 pm

It's only for the brakes & probably only for the front brake to make switching the front end back & forth easier as I will not have to re-run the front brake cable. I am toying with the idea of getting one for the back brake, but just using it to make the attachment of the rear brake cable easier. I'll toy with that idea though.

For the BIG TT of the year though I'll probably just run fresh brake cables & take the splices off. During the racing season there's a free TT series every other Wednesday & I'd like to hit those in the TT version of the bike, but only have the TT setup for the races.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby pritchet74 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:22 am

So thanks to Eric for the new wheels. I now have a set of sub 1kg wheels coming my way for this build. I will but on some Bonty tubulars & use these for more than just race wheels. What good are wheels if you only ride them a few times a year, right? I'm excited about getting them & HOPEFULLY I'll find a way to get the bike under 15#. With the heavier brakes though I don't know how it'll turn out. The quick math is that the brakes will add 150g & that the wheels will drop ~750g, so that SHOULD but me at ~14.5#. If that's the case I'll get by very happy with Victoria. :wink:

I REALLY wish I knew someone with a Tune Speedneedle that'd let me try it out. More so though I wish that this freakin' tendonitis in my hamstring tendon would go away. Lesson #1 is that after taking almost a month off the bike after the racing season, the 1st ride back on the bike shouldn't be a long hard ride with lots of climbing. Ya, that's a bad thing....

Damn tendonitis.....
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby hooker_elite » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:39 am

I can't help you with the tendonitis, but if you keep dangling that Ullrich jersey in front of me, I may have to send a Becker your way!
hooker_elite
Cat 4

Postby Cheers! » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:51 am

woohooo! another SLC SL
NICE BIKE!

I love it. Especially the power meter.
Cheers!
Cat 2

Postby dunlinii » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:45 pm

Whats your wheel build Pritch? See now I would love to lend you me speedneedle, but you live so far away :wink:
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby BMANX » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:18 am

Well since the Hooker brakes are just stupid expensive and hard to get, I have decided to go a different way. I will keep you posted.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BMANX
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:37 pm

hooker_elite wrote:I can't help you with the tendonitis, but if you keep dangling that Ullrich jersey in front of me, I may have to send a Becker your way!

That Ullrich jersey would cost you a lot more than a Becker. :wink:

dunlinii wrote:Whats your wheel build Pritch? See now I would love to lend you me speedneedle, but you live so far away :wink:

Wheels are a M5 front hub, Tune Mag 190 rear, pillar ti spokes, Reynolds Cirro rims. I had a wheelset like this built a couple years ago but with the KOM hubs - I sold it before I ever put tires on though. I was convinced by someone that they were just scary descenders. With the slightly heavier (and more durable) rims on these I have more confidence though. If the ti spokes end up being too flexy then I'll just have them re-built with big boy spokes. When I get them I plan on riding them hard to see what they can take.

I'd gladly pay shipping both ways. Since it's the off-season I am sure that you could do without it for a few weeks, right? :mrgreen: I'd be happy to compensate you a bit for your time away from the speedneedle. You know - kind of a seperation anxiety compensation payment. :impish:
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby pritchet74 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:12 am

FINALLY! So today I got the 1st ride on the bike with the Hooker brakes AND the new sub-1k wheelset (Tune Mag 190 rear hub, M5 front hub, Pillar ti spokes, Reynolds Cirro rims, front Veloflex SC tire, rear Ritchey WCS slick tire - both tires to be replaced before the racing season starts though!). I have to say that I am very happy with the wheels - they ride very nice & I didn't notice any excessive flex in the wheels. The brakes were less than stellar though - but they have ~10 year old Dura-Ace brake pads (that I shaved down before the ride) being used on the carbon rims. I am sure that the SS yellow pads I have on order will stop better. I did a quick spin with my alloy rimmed clincher wheels & the braking was on par with ZG's - which is what I expected.

It ain't "finished" yet. I still need to get a tire for my front Hed Stinger 6 glued on. I also have to get a hold of some black Nokon beads. The white ones are on there because that's all I have. It'll be proper before the racing season starts. I figured that if I kept waiting for the bike to be 100% it'd be another couple of months till I got these pictures up.

Weight with the tubular climbing wheels (shown) is 14.65#.
Weight with the clincher wheels (shown) is 16.75#.

So anyways - here it is: Victoria, Version 2.0 (aka V.2010).....

And here it is with my training wheels (although this will also be my rear racing wheel most of the time)

I love this front view - almost all the cables are invisible to the wind.

Looking back at the original build I think she looked sexier in that version, but I think that's mostly that the Hed wheels matched so well. I am going with no logos on my wheels this year & trying to make her a lil' more stealth. Also I am going with a single bottle cage for everything except for road races & long training rides, which will only be a couple times a month. For now at least. I am also working on a fairing to cover up the Di2 battery. All in good time....

I also have a Speedneedle on the way- if that works out then it's how I will have her under 14.5# in the climbing shoes. That'd be sweet.

Also, when my SRM PCVI battery dies I'll have the case changed over to a black one. I went with the white back when I had the full white R3 & now it just doesn't work with the lack of white on this version of the build.
Last edited by pritchet74 on Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Re: Introducing Victoria....... (Version 2.0 PICS on Page 5!)

Postby BMANX » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:45 am

Me Like, Me Like.

I am so getting my red SLC painted black as soon as I can afford it.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BMANX
Cat 1

Postby movrnotashakr » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:38 am

What's the deal with those ugly brakes? :grin:
Man, I thought Ultimate Robot Fighting was real, like pro wrestling, but it turns out it's fixed, like boxing.
movrnotashakr
Lord of the Smug

Postby BMANX » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:02 am

Hey did you need to shave the brakes. Looking at the picture from the front, it looks like there is about a mile from brake pad to rim. Me thinks that might be your braking issue and not the pads themselves. Dude Seriously big GAP!
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BMANX
Cat 1

Postby dalai » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:09 am

Finally!!! Worth the wait... :applause:

With all this talk about the brakes, I had forgotten about the Di2. Nice!
dalai
Cat 1

Postby andy2 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:03 am

I really liked the old bike............

Maybe those brakes will grow on me but what's up with the rear
cable hanger (bolt and stuff) and that cable angle and stuff?

Call me a ignoramus, philistine etc, I just don't see the sex...

Now, I've got it off my chest.

Sorry etc..
L'enfer, c'est les autres.
andy2
Cat 2

Postby j_imaizumi » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:20 am

Ah so you did go Di2! How does it feel and can you post any details on how you cleaned up the wires by mounting the brain on the stem?

Everything looks nice and aero,
j_imaizumi
Cat 2

PreviousNext

Return to General cycling