Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

2008 Cervelo SLC SL - My dream realized

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

2008 Cervelo SLC SL - My dream realized

Postby Cheers! » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:56 am

So in August 2009 I had an itch to get an exotic road bike. I have ridden my 2006 Cervelo Solost Team for 3 years, and have about 10,000 kms on her. Back then I lusted for a SLC SL. The soloist team was my 1st road bike. Not knowing if I liked road biking I decided to get the fastest bike under 2000 CDN dollars at the time. Aerodynamic aluminum frame. Ultegra everything. Worked out well. Till I transferred my upgrad-itis habits from mountain bikes over to the road bike.

By the time I was done with the soloist team, I had made her into a 14.99 lbs aluminum bike with carbon clinchers.

http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4903

So what did I do? 2009 Cervelo introduced their S3 to replace their SLC-SL. I thought the paint job sucked and there was rampant complains that the cable routing sucked causing the drivetrain to shift poorly. Much like cars when they changed generations, I thought bikes would be fire sold. I went to Cervelo.com looked up every single USA dealer and started calling. I picked ones that seemed to have a decent inter-web presence. Cross referenced to see if anyone had any complaints about them on MTBR or RoadBikeReview.

I finally found a 54cm SLC-SL frame from http://artscyclery.com/ They had it listed for 3899 on closeout. Knowing that Excel Sports fire sold their frames for 2899 when they had them I called. "Hi, I'm interested in your 54CM Cervelo SLC-SL frame, you have on your website as closeout sale. Do you still haven it?" they did. So then I said... "Can you guys do better on your pricing? I see it going for 3899 USD on closeout. It's now August 2009 and you guys are probably selling S3s now. What's the best price you can do? I have my wallet in my hand and have 4 credit cards I can choose from."

"2499 sir, free shipping"

I replied.

"I'll TAKE IT!"

gave them my amex number. Had it shipped to a postal outlet in Buffalo New York. Drove from Toronto, Ontario, Canada to Buffalo to pick it up and bring it back over (saves on customs fees, and brokerage fees)

I broke down my 2006 Soloist Team. Washed all the parts. Then rehung the new frame with the old parts following NASA procedures on torquing fasteners, cleaning threads, application of thread-locking compounds, and lubes. After all I'm an aerospace engineer by vocation.

I present to you my dream bike. 13.7 lbs of bliss.

I don't have the latest picture. But one of the Tune Bottle cages cracked. So I replaced them with Planet Bike carbon cages (22g each), sanded off the logos. I also got some fibrelyte chainrings that I have not mounted yet.
Last edited by Cheers! on Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers!
Cat 2

Re: 2008 Cervelo SLC SL - My dream realized

Postby pritchet74 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:01 am

AWESOME! I have a 54cm SLC SL as well & it's the greatest bike I have ever owned. Very, very, very nice build. I really like the look of the silver ZG's on there. Man, I wish I could try out one of those Speedneedles......

How about a complete build list?
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Cheers! » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:10 am

I actually have a 2nd pair of ZeroGravity Brakes I picked up cheap. $250 CDN - 2006 OG-06-Ti in black. The set I have pictures is also from 2006, but uses Stainless hardware.

Here is the latest build list when I swap the brakes out and put on the fiberlyte chainrings. I'm hoping the campy chain ring bolts are the same as everyone elses and I can use the chainring nut tools I have.

Also the saddle angle is messed. I need to lower the nose a bit. I was doing an experiment to see how far back I can tilt it and see if it is still comfy.

Here is the build list:

Cheers!
Cat 2

Postby Cheers! » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:13 am

I hope you guys like it. There are some really top end super expert elite weight weenies on this forum.
Cheers!
Cat 2

Postby Boonen » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:33 am

Very nice bike Cheers! ! :D
I like the story behind it and how it evolved, let us know how it'll turn out with the FL rings and the new brakes. The campy chainring bolts shouldn't be a problem, you'll probably be fine with just an allen key really.
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby dunlinii » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:19 pm

Thats one nice bike, I love that feeling when you ride something for years, and then get a nice new shiny bike after much lusting. Also, great stroy :D
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby Ypsylon » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:31 pm

I really liked your SLT as well.

What shoes do you use with the pedals?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby Cheers! » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:51 pm

I use Sidi Ergo2 w/ Specialized BG inserts. I use the Quattro 3 hole road cleats for the shoes. But I would like to try a new insert. It's too bad esoles scanner isn't avaiable in canada. Else I would love to give those a try.
Cheers!
Cat 2

Postby pritchet74 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:07 am

Just drive across the border & get it done, eh? :wink:
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby williamsf1 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:48 am

love this bike!!!
williamsf1
Cat 3

Return to General cycling