Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

RAR Absolutes

RAR Absolutes

Postby dunlinii » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:55 pm

I have had these wheels now for about two and a half weeks, so feel it is about time I do my bit to share the experience:

I weigh 150-155lbs depending on what I had for dinner the night before.
I have ridden the wheels mostly on alright roads, but a bit of gravel/loose chipping

The wheels are a custom build, what RAR calls Absolute wheels.

RAR optimal tubular rims (Reynolds DV46)
Tune Mig45/Mag150 (with aluminium axle)
The drilling is 16/24

I ordered these wheels in august, but the hubs were not in stock as I wanted them anodized red :oops:. They were expected to be back in stock early october, and indeed the front hub was, but the rear (originally going to be a 180) wasn't. Instead I was offered a Mag150 with the aluminium axle at obviously a slightly higher cost. This was good, so I went with that. From that point I think the wheels were built maybe a day and a half later and shipped perhaps another day after that. Throughout the whole process I was very impressed with the customer service, and how informative and helpful Adrien was when I was choosing what components to use.

The wheels arrived about a week after they were shipped. They came in a very large box, with some sort of double flap arrangement so that you couldn't accidentally slice through your new wheels with the knife while trying to open the box. I liked that feature. The wheels were in their wheel bags with the QR skewers which (I think) come as standard. The skewers are very nice, they have a nice firm motion and weighed 48 grams which isn't bad. The wheel bags are also good, they are very padded, come with a little pouch for stuff and a handy shoulder strap.

The wheels themselves weighted at 986 grams for the pair of them, which was very nice.

So now having ridden the wheels for some time, I can say that overall I am very pleased with them. The two things that I most love about them are 1) the way they respond so input by me. They are very quick to spin up, and you feel like you are much more connected to the bike and road. It is a very odd feeling which I am not used to but I do like it. Everything is very direct. My second favourite thing is the sound they make when you are going along, maybe this is an odd thing to really pick up on, but I really like it. It gives a very good fizz.

On my training ride, there is much wind. Tail, head and just random gusts. In the random gusts they are defiantly more scary than shallow wheels, but I think the control over them will come, in fact it is already starting to. I'm sure it is just a matter of getting used to the extra effects of the wind.

Stiffness: They seem very stiff, but as I'm not the heaviest guy it is relative I guess. When I'm sprinting or climbing in the big ring (which is something I do quite a lot) there is no noticeable rub on the brake pads. I'm not saying there isn't any, but if there is, it is not enough for me to feel it.

Talking about braking, it seems better than my previous carbon rims, botrager xxx ones. Its actually a lot better, even in the wet. I had the pleasure of a few downpours this week, and I wasn't s**ting myself so thats all good.

I think thats everything.... :wink:

Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Re: RAR Absolutes

Postby pritchet74 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:19 pm

Wow. I can't believe that those came in at less than 1kg. That's amazing! It also sounds like they ride awesome. As much as I love my Hed wheels it sure would be nice to have something that light with an aero shape. I am jealous!!!!!
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:15 pm

Great review! Keep it coming as you get the miles on them :wink:

I love the wheels on your bike, they really suit it. I have to question one point you make though... where on earth did you find ok roads in the UK? :grin:
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby dunlinii » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:18 pm

El Richmondo Park mon ami
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby Ypsylon » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:00 pm

Well written review.

I had a really hard time not sounding like a paid fanboy when writing a lil' review of the tempos over at WWs.

dunlinii wrote:1) the way they respond so input by me. They are very quick to spin up, and you feel like you are much more connected to the bike and road. It is a very odd feeling which I am not used to but I do like it. Everything is very direct.

That was the thing that impressed me most. I have only very little time on mine, but one day was the end of the season club ride with racers and week-end warriors together. everybody was giving everything they had at every friggin road sign. The way I could point the wheels through opening gaps that pop up when cat.1-4s and a bunch of recreational riders sprint against each other with more than 1000 watts was so impressing, it was like having a new bike.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby Adrien » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:08 pm

Thanks for your feedback guys.

The set dunlinii has is definitely one of the best possible at the moment. Super light at less than 1kg/set, quite aero with the 46mm deep rim and only 16 front spokes, pretty stiff laterally through the wide bracing angles/high spokes tensions, real good braking, etc.
I took 2 pictures of this set, you could see these on this link: http://www.roues-rar.fr/fr/galeries

Cheers!
Adrien.
Adrien
VIP

Postby dunlinii » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:05 pm

And as it turns out, they even work in snow!
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:58 pm

These are officially my dream set of wheels.....
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby dunlinii » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:42 pm

This is gonna sound bad:

Its nice to have something you want, as a lot of the stuff I want, you have :P
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:22 pm

That's funny! Those wheels though - I mean, wow. Seriously. Wow. I'd prolly go with the Edge rims over the Reynolds, but it's just basically the perfect wheelset for everything except for time trials. My climbing wheels (Mag 190 rear hub, M5 front hub, Reynolds Cirro rims, ti spokes) are absolutely my favorite wheels to ride. They just spin up effortlessly & are simply a joy to ride. But, at with the 20/24 spoke count & shallow rims I know that they just are not aero enough to be ridden in any race that isn't a hillclimb, so I will just train on them & use them for the occasional hillclimb. But your wheels - they weigh almost the same as mine & are aero! And those Tune hubs - well, they are the sexiest hubs out there & they roll SO well.

I want 'em.
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby williamsf1 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:51 am

how are these wheels going ?

how much are these wheels (under the magic 1000g)

love to know the weight of that bike too!!!
williamsf1
Cat 3

Postby dunlinii » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:50 pm

They are 986 grams. They are still going brilliantly. I have ridden them all through the winter, an just the other week checked the tension and its all pretty much the same as when they arrived, and they are as true as ever. I still go by the first opinion, they are the best bike related thing I have every owned/tried.

The weight of the bike then was about 6.3kg then, but to be honest I cant remeber.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Return to Reviews