Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Help finding a new saddle

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Help finding a new saddle

Postby pritchet74 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:28 am

So I'm thinking about switching to a new saddle. I used a Zoncolan for the latter part of this year & it seemed to be OK. Just took 3-1/2 weeks off the bike & just rode the last 2 days - the love for the Zoncolan isn't there anymore. I am just all over the thing & I don't like that.

Saddles that I have used in the last few years:
Zoncolan - I think my problem is that the back of the saddle rolls side to side to easily. I want something more stable in that department.
Arione Wing-Flex - used this before the Zoncolan & I might go back to it
Arione CX Carbon - it's not an Arione Wing-Flex & it didn't work for me
Becker Carbon - very comfortable saddle, but only for a week at a time. After a week my ass would hurt. I think my perfect saddle is a Becker with some padding.
Selle SMP Evolution - actually a very comfortable saddle - I was happy with it & only stopped using it because it was ugly. Loved the cutout.
Aspide Arrowhead - I used this for a year - it was alright.
Specialized Toupe - absolutely hated this saddle. Used for 1 ride & I will never use one again.
Selle Italia SLR - hated it.
Selle Italia Flite - tried it a long time ago & didn't like it.

So, I think that I like saddles that have a curved shape to them (Becker, Selle SMP, vanilla Arione) & not something that's just flat in both directions across the top (Arione CX)

I have never ridden a Aliante, but they are just so freakin' heavy I don't know that I want to just yet.

Checking out the Selle San Marco site the Regale Carbon FX looks sexy, but I can't find any online shops that have it just to find a price.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Re: Help finding a new saddle

Postby alienator » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:50 am

Personally, I'd pick one that was comfy. Screw the weight weenie requirements.
alienator
Resident Trouble-Maker

Postby Jeffr » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:24 am

I like the SSM Concor and the AX phoenix. But I thought the arione was a terrible fit for me.
Jeffr
The Man in Black

Postby Boonen » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:32 am

I'd go for comfort over weight and looks any day, what's the point if you can't ride it anyway :dunno: :wink:

I tried a few of the saddles you mentioned over the years and like and dislike them more or less like you do. The Regal Carbon FX is a hard saddle, probably as hard or harder then the full carbon SLR. I can ride the slr but not sure about the Regal, only tried it briefly but that was enough for me really.

Have you tried the old(er) or the new Flite? It doesn't look good but I liked the new Flite quite a bit, has some seriously strong rails as well which is nice.

Not much to do but try I'm afraid. I feel the same as you from time to time and start experimenting again but always seem to end up with the Arione again myself.
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby dunlinii » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:41 pm

Could you not just get a Becker, and get someone to cover it?

After riding an arione for time, an thinking it was too flat, I tried a speedneedle and that was comfy as (which really surprised me) so now I have that.
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:54 pm

I like the idea of adding some thin padding & a cover to the Becker, but just wouldn't know how to proceed with that. I would like to try a speedneedle though.

I think I'm picking a good time to experiment though - it's gotta be better to play musical saddles in the off-season rather than during the race season.

I have only ridden the old Flite. I'm not sure what to make of the new Flite. It looks funky.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby coloclimber » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:31 pm

I love the Prologo Scratch saddles. Have 3 of them and one C.130. They arent light but solid.
-Enjoy the Ride
coloclimber
Cat 2

Postby dunlinii » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:47 pm

pritchet74 wrote:I like the idea of adding some thin padding & a cover to the Becker, but just wouldn't know how to proceed with that.

I bet a certain bovine would know someone who could do it....Poshbikes would get it done for you this side of the pond but that doesn't really help you.
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:48 am

I think anyone that knows fabrics and stitching could sort that side of things out.

As for a saddle, what about a Brooks? :grin: Personally, I think you can't go wrong with the Arione. I thought about trying the Aliante (is it really that much heavier?) but was so happy with the Arione I thought why bother? I know it's triathlon/tt specific but have you thought about the Fizik Tri2? Supposed to be really comfy 8)
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby pritchet74 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:00 am

On my immediate "to try" list are the Fizik Aliante & Antares. I have a feeling one of these will fit the bill. If not then I'll try out a couple of the Prologo models. If those don't work then I'll see what else is on the radar.
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby slyboots » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:23 am

If you look at Aliante, then you might also look at Prologo Scratch. Fit is very similar, but Prologo is significantly lighter and has somewhat denser padding.
member of the World Conspiracy against Paranoia
slyboots
Cat 5

Postby Juanmoretime » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:40 am

I equate finding the right saddle with the search for the "Holy Grail". Once you find it rejoice and protect it with your life. Although sometimes that comfort evolves. Keep searching and trying on the glass slipper. Am I confused? Must be looking for a saddle.
For my next trick I will set myself on fire!
Juanmoretime
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:39 pm

The Scratch is on the list as well.
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby ksroadie » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:39 am

pritchet74 wrote:...Selle SMP Evolution - actually a very comfortable saddle - I was happy with it & only stopped using it because it was ugly. Loved the cutout.

Ugly!? SMP full carbon version very comfy also, and looks mighty fine. Do something nice for boys. :D

IMG_1738_2.jpg
ksroadie
Cat 3

Postby pritchet74 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:38 pm

Yup, I did like the full carbon one the best - if I could find one again at a good price I'd definitely try it again. I'm just hesitant to ride a full carbon saddle in a criterium. They just don't hold up to crashes very well.
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Next

Return to General cycling