Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Music for the trainer?

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: Music for the trainer?

Postby alienator » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:39 am

Fibre-Lyte wrote:I think a beard would go well with that 'tache' :wink:

I'm not completely mp3 yet either. I still use cd players (my car for instance has one) but even worse, I still have a VHS video recorder for the tv. I was watching a UK program called 'the Gadget Show' recently and they were doing a technology history piece. The presenter commented that once upon a time people used to use VHS video :oops:

Hmmm. My first car stereo had an 8 track tape player in it. Track changes in the middle of songs were awesome.
alienator
Resident Trouble-Maker

Postby mdeth1313 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:20 pm

I remember 8-tracks (parents, aunt), but can't lay claim to ever having one. I do remember replacing those stock am/fm radios in my family's cars with aftermarket cassette players though.

I'm also the proud owner of an aiwa stereo with a 5-mini disc player (MD) and a portable MD player. We still have vhs - hand me down videos from relatives on vhs need to be seen by my kids!

alienator wrote:
Fibre-Lyte wrote:I think a beard would go well with that 'tache' :wink:

I'm not completely mp3 yet either. I still use cd players (my car for instance has one) but even worse, I still have a VHS video recorder for the tv. I was watching a UK program called 'the Gadget Show' recently and they were doing a technology history piece. The presenter commented that once upon a time people used to use VHS video :oops:

Hmmm. My first car stereo had an 8 track tape player in it. Track changes in the middle of songs were awesome.
Words are like bullets, I let them pass through me.
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby dunlinii » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:22 pm

VHS needs to survive in order for people to still be able to watch Disney stuff before they began making crap (read High School Musical)
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby j0m » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:19 pm

Hey, most Disney stuff is available on Disney DVD!!! It's almost as a normal DVD but slightly enhanced to encourage some exercise. If you don't click the remote like crazy you'll be stuck forever in commercials.

Jeff, that mustache is just great. I might put the picture on the wall. :D At the time Magnum was aired we only had two TV channels in Sweden so basically everyone watched it.

Back to the music. It's interesIting to see that others also listen to music they wouldn't otherwise listen to. To me this presents a problem though. When on the trainer I want tracks I know will work but then I would need to check them off the trainer, where they might be plain painful. Therefore I tend to stick to music I still like and crap music from the past that works on the trainer.

Mdeth, I'm no stranger to Manowar. Heck, I even listened to Quiet Riot and Krokus. If you look deep enough into my record collection you'll find gems like Madam X and Viva too. :oops: I kind of lost touch with the metal scene sometime in the 80's though. I'll definitely add some Manowar to one of the trainer playlists. The Cult's metal years have some fine songs too. Zodiac Mindwarp is always great. Brain Scan and Too Much Fun by Hoodo Gurus are two great trainer tracks. Ministry of sound has found it's way into my garage as well.

Andy, while I totally respect your choice in crap music for the trainer I don't think that there's anything on your list that would suit my crap list. :D Rap I can't understand either, I need something fast. Anyhow my primary objective with this thread was not getting suggestions but rather to hear about what you guys like. So please keep it coming.

Robin, actually I'm not sure if I've ever listened to those surfers although I've heard about them a lot. I'll check it out. BTW you mentioned the Horrors a long time ago. IIRC I thought their second album was good.

Code: Select all
(Rob) I go to the beach to catch a little sun.
(Dave): You see me before I get a chance to run
(Rob): I only feel contempt for you,
You and your room temperature I.Q.
(Dave): Well look at you - you're just a big black hole of fun

(Rob) You need a brainscan to convince me you're not dead.
(Dave): You need a brainscan and hope they learn to transplant a head.
(Both): Brainscan! Brainscan!
j0m
The Big Brain

Postby ash » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:44 pm

ive been getting a few of the nike+ workouts from itunes for listening to on the trainer. I dont have any of their other music, but i find the one by the crystal method is great for those tempo/2x 20 efforts.

The aesop rock one is ok, but a lower tempo/intensity.

ash
ash
Cat 3

Postby mdeth1313 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:16 am

j0m wrote:Mdeth, I'm no stranger to Manowar. Heck, I even listened to Quiet Riot and Krokus. If you look deep enough into my record collection you'll find gems like Madam X and Viva too. :oops: I kind of lost touch with the metal scene sometime in the 80's though. I'll definitely add some Manowar to one of the trainer playlists. The Cult's metal years have some fine songs too. Zodiac Mindwarp is always great. Brain Scan and Too Much Fun by Hoodo Gurus are two great trainer tracks. Ministry of sound has found it's way into my garage as well.[/code]

Oh my, Quiet Riot and Krokus- why not add Y&T's "Summertime Girls" and there are a bunch of Van Halen tunes perfectly suitable for the trainer, not to mention my favorite midget singer of all time-- Ronnie James Dio (in second is the Scorpion's singer- was it Klaus Meine?) :applause:
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby dunlinii » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:18 pm

A friend showed me this:

http://lamourlamorgue.com/ The last one on the left hand column, called 'mix tape vol one' or something

All of your best trainer songs mixed into one hour long set. Very Good.
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby mdeth1313 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:50 am

Comes back 3 years later and my playlist keeps getting older and older- anyone remember when public enemy and anthrax got together for "Bring the Noise"?
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby Juanmoretime » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:36 am

Radio, I train to what ever is currently playing. The nice thing is that its a college radio station that plays almost no commercials and the DJ's rarely talk.
For my next trick I will set myself on fire!
Juanmoretime
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:18 pm

Music or radio has just never done it for me on the trainer. I need to watch something. Now with Netflix streaming on the computer or my iPhone I can just watch a show or a movie. Luckily, I don't have to ride the trainer much.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Previous

Return to General cycling