Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Music for the trainer?

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Music for the trainer?

Postby j0m » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:59 pm

I can't recall if we already have a topic for this?

Anyhow, it's getting cold and dark up here and I might be spending some time on the trainer. To survive the boredom I need music. Anyone else on a trainer and what do you listen to?

In general I think Rammstein is pretty nice. I did the season debut on the trainer last Sunday and ended up listening to Thin Lizzy's Life. I haven't listened to it in perhaps 20 years but there were some great tracks for the trainer. Hitting the first Mendrisio hill listening to "Don't believe a word" was a bit of bummer but some of the tracks were just great. For instance "Angel of death" and "Cold Sweat" but in my case it was hardly cold sweat.

What makes your cranks spin?
j0m
The Big Brain

Re: Music for the trainer?

Postby Roy Batty » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:10 pm

I always listen to dance music. Usually house or trance. Fast BPM's and it helps the revs. Usually have the TV on without sound as well.
Roy Batty
Cat 2

Postby Jeffr » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:41 pm

I like chopin. :-)
Jeffr
The Man in Black

Postby pritchet74 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:38 am

Music doesn't do it for me on the trainer. Anything on the TV is good, but my favorite (and about the only time I am ever on a trainer) is being on my wife's parents back porch in British Columbia in the middle of winter looking out at acres & acres of farmland covered in snow, with snow covered mountains in the background. Looking at that, wearing only a pair of shorts & my shoes, when it's below freezing out while I am covered in sweat - yup, that's trainer love right there.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby mdeth1313 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:46 am

umm- all time favorite for mashing-- Manowar's "Kill With Power", other than that I usually put together a long list from my ipod-- I've done 3-4 hour computrainer workouts with those lists!

If you've never heard Manowar before - you're really missing out- they suck, but they rule. It's metal at its best/worst.
Words are like bullets, I let them pass through me.
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:47 am

Dude - a 3 hour trainer ride? That's just insane. You have issues.... :impish:
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby alienator » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:54 am

Trainers aren't an Arizona thing, but if you need to keep away the demon Boredom, the Butthole Surfers work every time How can you not dig the Buttholes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNAkbbKycCM&feature=related
alienator
Resident Trouble-Maker

Postby Ypsylon » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:55 am

The music I listen to on the trainer is definetly not the same I listen to in "real life". For longer sessions the pop bunnies it be embarrased to listen to in public like Beyonce, Rihanna and so on work surprisingly well.

This is a youtube playlist I've used for 2x20s. I think I could email that to you if you pm me your e-mail, but it sucks that the videos keep disappearing.

Gotta Be Somebody-Nickelback [video unavailable]

Nickelback - how you Remind me

Shakira - Ilegal Video

Seven Nation Army - White Stripes (High Quality)

MAGNUM P.I. THEME

Silbermond - Durch die Nacht [video unavailable]

Blur - Song 2

Silbermond - Zeit für Optimisten

U2 and Green Day "The Saints Are Coming" video

Meat Loaf - Objects in the rear view mirror...

In The Shadows

P!nk - Don't Let Me Get Me

P!nk - Just Like A Pill

Fall Out Boy - This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race

Lance Armstrong Alpe D'Huez 2001
Music: Fatboy slim Acid 8000

Santana Featuring Chad Kroeger - Into The Night

Santana, Everlast - Put Your Lights On

Joe Cocker - Summer in the City
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby mdeth1313 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:57 pm

pritchet74 wrote:Dude - a 3 hour trainer ride? That's just insane. You have issues.... :impish:

don't forget it's a computrainer- plugged into the computer and actually riding courses and sometimes racing the "metal man". The computrainer could go down as one of the best "I better get one of these now, before I meet someone, settle down and have other responsibilities" purchases.
Words are like bullets, I let them pass through me.
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby dunlinii » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:53 pm

Well, on ze trainer and ze ergo I like the rap (Eminem), Dubstep, Evil Nine, Caspa&Rusko, and various mixes/artists like that; and sometimes those Ministry of sound mixes do just the trick.
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby Jeffr » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:03 am

I moved onto the side of a mountain so my rides are all either uphill at threshold or coasting down. No flats to speak of. The last few hundred meters to my house is close to 15% grade. As a result of this I've been spending some time on the trainer to do recovery rides. It's nice on the covered porch (lanai) with some breeze, a nice view, and a little music. It is less comfortable and puts more pressure on my important bits though so I don't do it for longer than an hour.

Since I live in hawaii the magnum PI theme does sound good. I've been working on my moustache and thinking about buying an old ferrari. ;-) How awesome would it be to show up at a race with a magnum pi moustache?
Attachments
moustache.jpg
Jeffr
The Man in Black

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:58 am

Jeffr wrote:How awesome would it be to show up at a race with a magnum pi moustache?

I'm fairly sure you're showing your age here Jeff. Most people I know who were born in the last two (even three) decades aren't sure who Magnum PI is! :grin: I had to explain to a 25 year old I work with what 'The Raiders of the Lost Ark' film was about!

As for music, U2-The best of 1980-1990 does it for me. A mix of fast pace and chilled out. 8-)
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby Jeffr » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:27 am

Well I'm technically masters so perhaps I'll run into more people who get it. :)

Unfortunately my moustache was actually part of a short-lived experiment with a beard and was only around solo for long enough to get a picture. I should've kept it.

Raiders of the lost ark hails back to an era when george lucas didn't make total crap. Younger people wouldn't know about that.

I do like U2. I'll have to give that a go but I still use a CD player.
Jeffr
The Man in Black

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:50 am

I think a beard would go well with that 'tache' :wink:

I'm not completely mp3 yet either. I still use cd players (my car for instance has one) but even worse, I still have a VHS video recorder for the tv. I was watching a UK program called 'the Gadget Show' recently and they were doing a technology history piece. The presenter commented that once upon a time people used to use VHS video :oops:
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby Jeffr » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:31 am

Whoah. Now I am technophobic but I wouldn't touch VHS now. The picture quality is so poor.

Back on topic, I found Smash by The Offspring the other day in an old box of stuff. That album doesn't have a single bad track on it. It's just upbeat enough to encourage some heavy pedaling too.
Jeffr
The Man in Black

Next

Return to General cycling