Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Introducing Victoria....... (new wheels on Page 31)

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: Introducing Victoria.......

Postby slisk » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:53 pm

Damn sweet! The club here would be lovin' this ride. There are about 10 Cervelos in our group but none nearly as nice.

The white is balanced but I wonder what it would look like without the wheel decals?
I buy everything that JMT lists on this site.
slisk
Grand Tourer

Postby pritchet74 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:58 pm

j0m, yes, I've gone thru so many frames & components in the last few years that it's just insane. But, I'm slowly coming to the "perfect for me" components. The others will continue to recycle till they are "perfect for the time being".

I can't help it, it's a sickness.

I'm hoping to test ride Di2 somehow & then realize I hate it, then I'll stop listing for it.

Slisk - I thought about the decals too, but with the loud white graphics on the frame the wheels just seem perfect to me. I've been toying with the idea of having the frame painted & if that happens then the wheel decals will come off. But with my new lust for Di2 the paint project prolly won't happen.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby j_imaizumi » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:33 am

Prichet74, Keep everything the way it is....if you're going for Di2, its best that you keep the frame black given how obvious the wires will look otherwise. I've always wanted a SLC-SL and you're not making it any better for me!

PS, is it the angle of the photo's or does that ritchey stem look like its angled down?
j_imaizumi
Cat 2

Postby pritchet74 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:39 am

The stem is a -17 degree. Not quite low enough, but as low as I can go. :wink:

Di2 will probably happen at some point, but when is anyone's guess.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:39 am

pritchet74 wrote:Boonen - I like the SRM too, but I'd like some better looking chainrings. I ain't a fan of the FSA ones on there.
:think: :D

The bike is beautiful 8) 8)

I saw a review of the Hed wheels in a UK cycle mag and they said that the aerodynamics are great and once you are up to speed they are super fast, but the acceleration is a little lacking. What do you think? (I have more faith in your opinion :wink: )

I think the wheel graphics look wonderful and really match the frame well. I do wonder if a LW disc will look right? I'd be more tempted to go with the Hed or Zipp discs with white graphics? 165mm cranks?
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby Juanmoretime » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:17 am

pritchet74 wrote:j0m, yes, I've gone thru so many frames & components in the last few years that it's just insane. But, I'm slowly coming to the "perfect for me" components. The others will continue to recycle till they are "perfect for the time being".

I'm hoping to test ride Di2 somehow & then realize I hate it, then I'll stop listing for it.

Slisk - I thought about the decals too, but with the loud white graphics on the frame the wheels just seem perfect to me. I've been toying with the idea of having the frame painted & if that happens then the wheel decals will come off. But with my new lust for Di2 the paint project prolly won't happen.

When you are listing for it is that to the left or right? Personally I might lust for it but don't. My battery wire got rip out accident when... and I can ride/race. It will be a statement never made by me.
For my next trick I will set myself on fire!
Juanmoretime
Cat 1

Postby Juanmoretime » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:18 am

pritchet74 wrote:j0m, yes, I've gone thru so many frames & components in the last few years that it's just insane. But, I'm slowly coming to the "perfect for me" components. The others will continue to recycle till they are "perfect for the time being".

When you are listing for it is that to the left or right? Personally I might lust for it but don't. My battery wire got rip out accident when... and I can't ride/race. It will be a statement never made by me.
For my next trick I will set myself on fire!
Juanmoretime
Cat 1

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:06 pm

Is that a deja vu moment? :D

Juan, I'm in the same mind. I keep switching between liking Di2 and not. I like the idea, but I have concerns :?
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby pritchet74 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:30 pm

If I go with Di2 it'll probably be February - right before the season starts. Hopefully by then any issues / concerns with it will have come up. As it is I still haven't even seen the stuff in person. I need to find a shop with a bike so I can test ride it.
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby dunlinii » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:26 pm

I just wonder with the Di2 if it would just randomly screw up, like other things that are computer controlled. That would be a pain.

Although, saying that I did get to ride it for like 10 minutes at lbs and it is really cool.
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:26 am

OK, so the modifications to Victoria have begun. The Orions have been sold & some temporary brakes are mounted. While the Orions worked well enough (on par with ZG's), I am very satisfied to be on a set of Campy brakes again. Not satisfied to have my bike 255g heavier though. :shock: But then again, there are only 2 more criteriums this year for me & both are basically flat, so the weight won't have an impact. Then it's the off season, so I won't be concerned with weight till racing season starts in February. :grin:

So the fundraising has begun for the new improvements: Di2 is the 1st priority. Then is EE brakes. If I don't have the $$$ together for the EE brakes by February then I'll get some black Campy Record brakes - probably pre-skeleton though since I like the lines of those better.

I took the white Nokons & Powercordz off too & just tossed on some black housing & regular steel cables. I have to say that I think that the black housing looks better.

Di2, here I come..........
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby slisk » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:34 am

pritchet74 wrote:Di2, here I come..........

I know you divorced yourself from Campy a few seasons ago but since you slapped the temporary brakes on, maybe there is still hope :wink: Personally, I just cannot develop any lust for the dark side (Shimano Di2). Is electronic Campy totally gone or is there a chance we will see it in the next year or two? I'm not connected enough to have any scoop. I am setting aside some cash each month to satisfy the bike "ho" in me. The affair with Bohemian steel and whatever Campy develops soon might have me sneaking off to have my way with them... :roll:
I buy everything that JMT lists on this site.
slisk
Grand Tourer

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:40 am

I loved Campy for many years. SRAM Red is very good. I would actually go back to Campy 10 spd because it is just more precise than Red, but it's looking that Di2 has taken things to a whole new level. Also, my wheels are all Shimano / SRAM so going back to Campy would require extra $ going into wheels. I just don't see Campy developing an electric system that's as good as Shimano. The Japanese are just known for their skills with electronics, whereas the Italians are not.

And Shimano shifting is excellent - the only complaint complaint that I have had with Shimano is that when in the drops & shifting to a bigger cog I would at times tap the rear brake lever. It was annoying as hell. :wink:
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:45 pm

Patience has never been a strong point for me....

The changes for 2010 have begun. The wheels, shifters, derailleurs, & brakes have all been sold. My racing season is over & I will take a couple weeks of the bike - possibly more if I don't get everything together to have the bike ready to ride.

Planned 2010 build revisions are:
Drivetrain: Di2
Wheels: Hed Stinger 6's (yup, goin' tubular for the fast wheels). I'll get something else for easy rides.
Brakes: Not completely sure what I will end up with. Part of me wants to get black pre-Skeleton Record brakes - I just think that they look really good & would look great on the bike. Another option is the 7900 D/A brakes to match the rest of the group. Then there's the EE brakes. These are what I think that I really want, but can anyone confirm if they will work with the wide Hed rims?

Anyways - I am looking forward to the new build.
Last edited by pritchet74 on Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby dunlinii » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:47 pm

Sounds good. I think the Di2 will really suit the bike.
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

PreviousNext

Return to General cycling