Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Edge 2.0 fork

Edge 2.0 fork

Postby madcow » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:30 pm

So I finally got a chance to install and put a couple of rides on the newest fork on the market, the Edge 2.0, and I am impressed.

Knowing that they build tubesets/forks for Parlee, Serotta and others means that I already had some high expectations for the fork before it arrived.

My initial impression was that the finish was flawless. A nude UD matte finish without any noticeable flaws.

What I thought were seams were quite visible on this fork. However, it turns out that my initial impression was wrong. These it turns out, are not seams. The fork is 100% carbon(no alloy in the dropouts, crown or steerer) and is put into the mold as one piece, no co-molding or bonding of different parts. The lines that I thought were seams were simply flash lines from the different parts of the mold.

At the upper levels of this industry there are very few things that differentiate between products. Generally the products perform better than most of us can truly appreciate. So with that in mind one of the things that does separate them is the aesthetics. As they say, the devil is in the details. The forks graphics are very subdued and contain no color other than white. This is good as you don't have to worry if it will match the colors on your frame. The other detail that really caught my eye was on the steerer expander. It's pretty traditional that fork expanders are held together by rubber o-rings. These seem to deteriorate fairly quick. However Edge uses a steel spring to hold the expander together.

Claimed weight was 330grams, and the actual uncut weight was 332.4grams. Cut to 195mm this was 304.3grams. About 17grams lighter than the Easton SL that it replaced.

The ride of the fork was quite impressive. Stiffness was certainly there, I'd say it's on par with the 100 gram heavier Reynolds Ouzo pro fork. All the stiffness required when in a fast corner yet no harsher than the Easton SL, or possibly even the SLX. One of the things that I liked was the stiffness of the steerer tube. When really pushing/pulling on the bars in a sprint, there is noticeably less flex than with the Easton SL.

As Nils always says, "there is no best product, there is only best product for a given application/situation" With that in mind, I believe that it's always possible to find something that I think should be done differently. With this fork I did manage to find something that I would have changed, however, it turns out to be about as minimal as one could imagine. The top cap. While the cap itself is very nicely done, again with the understated logo they chose to do a tapered bolt rather than the traditional cap head. I can understand that this makes for a slightly lighter setup when stock, but at the same time makes it more difficult for owners to find colored aftermarket aluminum bolts.

The other thing I can say negatively about this fork is that it has made me impatient. It has made me want to ride the 1.0 fork which is expected to be almost 50grams lighter and just as every bit the performer.

In the past one of the forks I've recommend most often for aftermarket has been the Look forks, well, I think in most cases I'd recommend this fork over the Look.
Attachments
edf1.jpg
edf2.jpg
edf3.jpg
edf4.jpg
edf5.jpg
edf6.jpg
madcow
Dork Overlord

Postby UNCrayburn » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:01 pm

Great review...again.

Have MSRP's been set for the 1.0 and 2.0 yet and when should these be available for us normal folk? Thanks.
- UNCrayburn
UNCrayburn
Cat 2

Postby madcow » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:28 pm

MSRP: 1.0 $550
MSRP: 2.0 $480

2.0 is currently available in small quantities. 1.0 shouldn't be too much longer.
madcow
Dork Overlord

Postby alexedge » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:05 pm

Damn, so the 1.0 is going to be in the 280g range? That's definitely on my WTB list! Love the matte finish, and of course the logo couldn't possibly work better for me (yes, Alex Edge IS my REAL name, lol)...

Was going to pick up the Reynolds UL to replace my EC90SLX as I'm looking for a little more stiffness, but I think the Edge 1.0 is now in the running and moving ahead...
Want to trade my immaculate EC90SLX for (with 8.5" steer tube) for an uncut EC90SLX or EC90 Aero? long shot I know, but PM me if you're interested. Or I will sell it if I get a good offer....
alexedge
Cat 2

Postby Gregorio » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:27 pm

Dude, your bike is gonna get crushed by that boulder!
Gregorio
Cat 2

Postby Juanmoretime » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:09 pm

Very nice! Does it come in both integrated and non-integrated versions?
For my next trick I will set myself on fire!
Juanmoretime
Cat 1

Postby alexedge » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:12 am

Juanmoretime wrote:Very nice! Does it come in both integrated and non-integrated versions?

Didn't even think about that - that's what happens when you're posting from work and trying to hurry so you don't get caught. For my part, I hope the 1.0 will work with non-integrated designs, so I can use one...

rascel wrote:Is the Expander setup required for usage ? Or can it be switched to something lighter ?

I second that question.

------

And finally, can you give us an estimated availability date for the 1.0? Reason I ask is I think someone might be getting me a Reynolds UL for Xmas, but if this will be available soon enough I might tell them to hold off...
Want to trade my immaculate EC90SLX for (with 8.5" steer tube) for an uncut EC90SLX or EC90 Aero? long shot I know, but PM me if you're interested. Or I will sell it if I get a good offer....
alexedge
Cat 2

Postby madcow » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:01 pm

Juanmoretime wrote:Very nice! Does it come in both integrated and non-integrated versions?

Integrated headsets are where the industry really seems to have abandoned all sense of any standard.

I guess the short answer is no, not an integrated specific fork. However, what an integrated fork is seems to vary by company. For example, the Look HSC5SL is an integrated fork. What they mean by integrated is that the crown race in molded into the fork leaving no headset options. However many other companies have integrated forks that use traditional crown races and simply have a larger crown to mate up to the larger headtube of the frame. The Edge fork has a large enough crown that it matches pretty cleanly to the integrated headset/headtube on my Parlee. Would it match well to a Storck? No, but then again most integrated forks would not.

rascel wrote:Is the Expander setup required for usage ? Or can it be switched to something lighter ?

No it is not required. While I liked the design and function of the edge one, it was just a bit too heavy for my taste. I replaced it with the Extralite Ultrastar.

alexedge wrote:
And finally, can you give us an estimated availability date for the 1.0? Reason I ask is I think someone might be getting me a Reynolds UL for Xmas, but if this will be available soon enough I might tell them to hold off...

There is not actual date that I'd feel comfortable giving. I know Edge likes to take their time with plenty of testing and making sure the product is top-notch before they release it.
madcow
Dork Overlord

Postby Mat » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:56 am

A question for those more in the know...?

I am looking for a stiff, yet light, sprinters fork, so am wondering how the Edge fork would compare with the Alpha Q GS-40?

I currently have the Wolf SL/ Alpha Q GS-20 and although I am generally quite happy with it, It does flex a little bit when I monster it and if there is a stiffer, same weight or lighter option (43 - 44 rake) then I am interested.

Cheers,

Mat.
Mat
Cat 2

Postby madcow » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:52 pm

While I don't have any experience with the GS40. I have ridden a 30. The Edge was certainly stiffer than the GS30.

It's one of the stiffer forks I've ridden, probably the stiffest in it's weight range.
madcow
Dork Overlord

Edge 2.0 Fork

Postby Jared B » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:32 am

I can vouch for these forks. We were so impressed with level of engineering, level of finish and ride quality that we are using them as our only fork available from this year onwards on all our Baum bikes.

Other than a THM fork these forks are the only ones we have ever come across that have perfectly alligned fork tips and crown race seat.
Jared B
Manufacturer

Re: Edge 2.0 fork

Postby ferrarista » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:49 am

when are we gonna see a review on the 1.0 fork? Madcow you keep saying next week next week haha.

whats up with edge?
ferrarista
Cat 2

Postby julight » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:37 am

I received my new edge 1.0 fork last week, straight from
288G UNCUT
270G CUT

SOME PICS SOON!!!!
julight
Cat 4

Postby coloclimber » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:33 pm

Cut to what length? ie- how many cms for the 18 grams?
-Enjoy the Ride
coloclimber
Cat 2

Postby julight » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:26 am

18g = 6cm

FORK EDGE 1.0 12/2008

julight
Cat 4

Next

Return to Reviews