Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

JMT Memorial International Beer Tour (part deux)

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

JMT Memorial International Beer Tour (part deux)

Postby slisk » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:52 pm

Last week I found myself in the friendly and mountainous country where yetis run wild (AKA Nepal). It's a nice place with all kinds of adventure including avoiding things like cholera. Since roughly 95% of all water supplies in Kathmandu have unacceptable levels of fecal coliform bacteria, I figured I'd stick to the beer. Like the previous summer tour of the Rockies, I have attached a rundown for JMT. The most fun was to get a few of these brews down the hatch and barter with the street dealers for thanka art and wood carvings. I was also offered all kinds of other "goods". Here it is

Entry #1
Everest Lager - this one caught my attention initially and was the first commercial beer I'd had in a few weeks. The flavor was so-so and it finished with a strong bitter after taste. I'm more of a dark beer fan and this one was nothing special finishing third.

Entry #2
Gorkha Lager - a gorkha is a Nepali military knife that is found all over this country. The beer also cuts like a blade. It's light in flavor and finishes clean which results in repetitive calls to the barmaid. I thought we had a winner here.

Entry #3
Nepal Ice Himalayan Beer - I asked what type of beer it was since the label left me guessing and was told "it's Himilayan". It rivaled entry 2 in color, flavor, and finish but also contained 0.5% more alcohol which gives it the edge. So there we have it.

On another note, these beers come in 24 ounce bottles and cost 250 rupies at a bar (about 4 bucks). It's a buyers market. Oh yeah, I almost forgot. The mountains are big over here and the younger Nepali chicks are hot.

Hope everyone has a great holiday and Happy New Year! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Last edited by slisk on Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
I buy everything that JMT lists on this site.
slisk
Grand Tourer

Postby Juanmoretime » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:31 am

Thanks for the report. No pictures of the young hot Nepali chicks? Are they that young?

I'm in Paris so I have no beer report although I can say I sampled a few excellent red wines last evening!
For my next trick I will set myself on fire!
Juanmoretime
Cat 1

JMT Memorial International Beer Tour

Postby slisk » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:35 am

Last week, I was able to drag the family back to Amsterdam and made a short escape to discover Denmark. (sorry j0m, didn't get a chance to make it your direction) It's always nice to escape the middle east. I noticed a few things in Amsterdam. First, the het Kabeer eatery in the RLD has great well priced food and Duvel. Had a few of them right after arriving as I love those Duvel glasses. After a few days, it was off to Copenhagen....and found a new home called The Dubliner. First observation was that the Kilkenny and Guinness on tap here taste far superior to the ones at the Bahrain Country Club...what are those damn arabs doing to the beer?...on to this post's entry.

One item worth noting is a huge sign on a building near the central town square. "Carlsberg - Probably the Best Beer in Town"...I sure hoped not!

The local product in this case is named Viking IPA. I'm not overly excited by pale ales in general but Ida the barmaid recommended it. Looked a bit cloudy at first (but that could have been through the Kilkenny goggles I was already wearing). It possesses a very fruity bouquet, so much that I figured it was going to be one of those girly fruity beers. That wasn't the case. In fact, the fruit amplifies upon finishing in a good way. I was surprised.

I give it a full 8/10 but remember I'm partial to stouts.

Now for the bad news, this place is expensive and beers cost about 50DKK ($10)...but I really didn't care.
slisk
Grand Tourer

Postby Rasmus » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:15 pm

:grin:

There is a reason CPH is more expensive to live in than London and New York. Two things I always got asked when I did the tour guide thing for new exchange studens:

1. "How come you drink so much beer when it's that expensive?" Because we buy it by the case and not in a pub.
2. "Why would they advertise with just being probably the best beer?" Well, no one really thinks it's the best one, and they know that, so it's much easier not going around making empty promises.

That said, slisk, for crying out loud, you should have told me you were heading off into my old neck of the woods. As a beer aficionado myself I could have given you directions to all the local micro breweries and beer restaurants.
"Ride faster, I hear banjo music!"
Rasmus
sensei of polish

Postby slisk » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:30 pm

Wow, I didn't know you were from Denmark. I felt some severe guilt for not being able to make it to Stockholm this trip (had mentioned it to j0m) and felt a bit worse when the train from Billund (took the kids to Legoland of course) passed through Roskilde without even trying to see all of KF's bikes. I had to remember that wifey was with and had warned me not to even think of riding on this trip.

I can't remember the name of this one pub I rolled onto at lunchtime and was advertised as having the best microbrew selection in town...but they were closed until 4 and we had kroners burning holes in our pockets...damn.

I thought the Carlsberg sign was pretty funny and we liked our short stay with the Danes...they were very pleased with their CSC podium finisher in the worlds I might add.
slisk
Grand Tourer

Postby Juanmoretime » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:25 am

Thanks for the tour. Beer, travel and familiar places. All are good.

I've created yet another version of my wheat beer that is quite excellent and very hoppy, as sampled my Mr. Ras. When you get back next year I will have some samples available.
Juanmoretime
Cat 1

Postby j0m » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:34 am

No need to feel bad about not coming here. Maybe I wouldn't have started my own brewery (with Nicolai in charge)
and I would most probably not have quit my job to work full time on building a place for you to stay
if I had known that you weren't coming.

Seriously though, it sounds like you had a nice trip. And since it was a long time ago I heard anything about your plans I took for granted that said plans had changed. :cheers:
j0m
The Big Brain

Postby slisk » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:40 pm

Juanmoretime wrote:Thanks for the tour. Beer, travel and familiar places. All are good.

I've created yet another version of my wheat beer that is quite excellent and very hoppy, as sampled my Mr. Ras. When you get back next year I will have some samples available.

Yup, The TBP is July 11 and I plan on being at the start line again. It turns out that I bought a house about a 30 minute drive from the start line.

Will you be coming this time? I'll have a fridge to keep the Hops High cold.
slisk
Grand Tourer

Postby Juanmoretime » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:20 am

slisk wrote:
Juanmoretime wrote:Thanks for the tour. Beer, travel and familiar places. All are good.

Yup, The TBP is July 11 and I plan on being at the start line again. It turns out that I bought a house about a 30 minute drive from the start line.

Will you be coming this time? I'll have a fridge to keep the Hops High cold.

In one word, these first ones don't count. Yes! I think Ras should join us since I know he loves to climb.
Juanmoretime
Cat 1

Postby slisk » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:51 am

slisk
Grand Tourer

Re: JMT Memorial Beer Tour Hits Bali (part three)

Postby slisk » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:25 am

Yup, I've suffered through enough Ramadan crap to last a lifetime. Bring on Indonesia. The Dutch love Indo food and I miss that part of Holland culture so I can sample some beers and eat well again all at the same time...the people here smile too :D

First entry - After getting showered up, it was straight to one of the resort bars for a quick taste before dinner:

#1 - Bali Storm Iron Stout - It's a good stout. I think they were trying to imitate a Guinness and actually got in the ballpark. It's a bit more bitter and the richness of the head (when it is poured properly is just a bit shy of that full Guinness creaminess but I'd drink it again any day...and will! 8/10. FYI - I always use Mackeson XXX and Guinness as benchmarks.

#2 - Bali Storm Golden Ale - Very good choice. This entry has a multilayer taste and abundant bubbles worth mentioning. It starts a bit bitter and moves through a creamy middle and finishes fruity. The fruit finish is very mild and goes away quickly. Didn't get to read the alcohol content but it seems high. Better than the stout for a mid day drink.

There are about a half dozen more local brews to try and I haven't even left the resort yet so stay tuned. :wink:
slisk
Grand Tourer

Re: JMT Memorial International Beer Tour (part deux)

Postby Juanmoretime » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:45 am

So interesting you should bring this up. I'm starting a new project tomorrow. A IPA. It will be a very special JMT creation.
Juanmoretime
Cat 1

Postby slisk » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:54 pm

Right on Mr. Moretime! It just so happens I sampled some ale today.

Entry #3 Bali Storm Pale Ale - I was having a bit of trouble getting this one ordered. The bartender didn't know much English so I showed him the menu. "Ohhh, pah-lay ah-lay", he said. They also spell taxi as taksi so I made the adjustment quickly. This one starts very clean finishes with a bit of floral bouquet but as time wears on, it gets a bit bitter. The Golden Ale was better. Still superior to a Budweiser or other crap US beer so I'd give it another go if I had to. 7/10

Entry #4 Jakarta Bintang Pilsner - A pleasant surprise. This is the most common and least expensive beer on the island. Really clean from start to finish. No rice or other weird ingredients. This is the beer to load into the cooler for the treks into the rainforest and gets it done nicely. No fancy aromas and such. 8/10.

I'm guessing I'll have one more update unless I find something new. Storm has another flavor to sample and I'm going to some new areas tomorrow.

Cheers. :cheers:
slisk
Grand Tourer

Postby Juanmoretime » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:02 pm

And here this afternoon!
http://www.jaytv.com/urbanabeerandchili/

If I can remember anything afterwards.
Juanmoretime
Cat 1

Postby slisk » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:26 pm

I'd be damn careful! Read about what happened to the last Urbana man who showed up at a chili cook off.

TEXAS CHILI COOKOFF

For those of you who have lived in Texas, you know how true this is. They actually have a Chili cook-off about the time the rodeo comes to town. It takes up a major portion of the parking lot at the Juice Box. The notes are from an inexperienced chili taster named Frank, who was visiting Texas from Urbana:

Frank: "Recently, I was honored to be selected as a judge at a Chili cook-off. The original person called in sick at the last moment and I happened to be standing there at the judge's table asking directions to the Budweiser truck, when the call came in. I was assured by the other two judges (Native Texans) that the chili wouldn't be all that spicy and, besides, they told me I could have free beer during the tasting, so I accepted."
Here are the scorecards from the event:
Chili # 1 Mike's Maniac Mobster Monster Chili
Judge # 1 -- A little too heavy on the tomato. Amusing kick!_
Judge # 2 -- Nice, smooth tomato flavor. Very mild._
Judge # 3 -- (Frank) Holy #%$@, what the hell is this stuff? You could remove dried paint from your driveway. Took me two beers to put the flames out. I hope that's the worst one. These Texans are crazy.

Chili # 2 Arthur's Afterburner Chili
Judge # 1 -- Smoky, with a hint of pork. Slight jalapeno tang._
Judge # 2 -- Exciting BBQ flavor, needs more peppers to be taken seriously._
Judge # 3 -- Keep this out of the reach of children. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave off two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich maneuver. They had to rush in more beer when they saw the look on my face.

Chili # 3 Fred's Famous Burn Down the Barn Chili.
Judge # 1 -- Excellent firehouse chili. Great kick. Needs more beans.
Judge # 2 -- A beanless chili, a bit salty, good use of peppers._
Judge # 3 -- Call the EPA. I've located a uranium spill. My nose feels like I have been snorting Drano. Everyone knows the routine by now. Get me more beer before I ignite. Barmaid pounded me on the back, now my backbone is in the front part of my chest. I'm getting $%^#-faced from all of the beer.

Chili # 4 Bubba's Black Magic
Judge # 1 -- Black bean chili with almost no spice. Disappointing._
Judge # 2 -- Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish or other mild foods, not much of a chili._
Judge # 3 -- I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was unable to taste it. Is it possible to burn out tastebuds? Sally, the barmaid, was standing behind me with fresh refills. That 300-lb. wench is starting to look HOT -- just like this nuclear waste I'm eating. Is chili an aphrodisiac?

Chili # 5 Linda's Legal Lip Remover
Judge # 1 -- Meaty, strong chili. Cayenne peppers freshly ground,adding considerable kick. Very impressive._
Judge # 2 -- Chili using shredded beef, could use more tomato. Must admit the cayenne peppers make a strong statement._
Judge # 3 -- My ears are ringing, sweat is pouring off my forehead and I can no longer focus my eyes. I farted and four people behind me needed paramedics. The contestant seemed offended when I told her that her chili had given me brain damage. Sally saved my tongue from bleeding by pouring beer directly on it from the pitcher. I wonder if I'm burning my lips off. It really pisses me off that the other judges asked me to stop screaming. Screw those rednecks.

Chili # 6 Vera's Very Vegetarian Variety
Judge # 1 -- Thin yet bold vegetarian variety chili. Good balance of spices and peppers._
Judge # 2 -- The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions, and garlic.Superb._
Judge # 3 -- My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous, sulfuric flames. I sh@t myself when I farted and I'm worried it will eat through the chair. No one seems inclined to stand behind me except that slut Sally. She must be kinkier than I thought. Can't feel my lips anymore. I need to wipe my a$$ with a snow cone.

Chili # 7 Susan's Screaming Sensation Chili
Judge # 1 -- A mediocre chili with too much reliance on canned peppers._
Judge # 2 -- Ho hum, tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of chili peppers at the last moment. I should take note that I am worried about Judge #3. He appears to be in a bit of distress as he is cursing uncontrollably._
Judge # 3 -- You could put a grenade in my mouth, pull the pin, and I wouldn't feel a thing. I've lost sight in one eye, and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with chili which slid unnoticed out of my mouth. My pants are full of lava like sh@t to match my shirt. At least during the autopsy, they'll know what killed me. I've decided to stop breathing, its too painful. Screw it, I'm not getting any oxygen anyway. If I need air, I'll just suck it in through the 4-inch hole in my stomach.

Chili #8 Tommy's Toe-Nail Curling Chili
Judge # 1 -- The perfect ending, this is a nice blend chili. Not too bold but spicy enough to declare its existence. Judge # 2 -- This final entry is a good, balance chili. Neither mild nor hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge # 3 passed out, fell over and pulled the chili pot down on top of himself. Not sure if he's going to make it. Poor dude, wonder how he'd have reacted to really hot chili.
slisk
Grand Tourer

Next

Return to General cycling