Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

The bike weight wiki

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

The bike weight wiki

Postby jeremyb » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:18 pm

Hey there folks, in case you didnt see it on WW, i started a bike weight wiki----basically, a place for all of us to post our bike component weights without having to wait for the mods to actually enter it into the listing for us.

http://plusonelap.pbwiki.com/

1)you have to register with pbwiki

2)then email me at plusonelap@gmail.com for the sitewide password.

then you can begin editing the page and adding content.

Some folks have begun to add their weights and have added new categories as well, and I think this could be a really cool thing, If more people got involved.

jeremy
http://www.plusonelap.blogspot.com a lightweight cyclocross gallery and blog
jeremyb
Cat 4
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:09 pm

Postby madcow » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:26 pm

Good idea Jeremy, only problem is that without the year of the product, it's not going to be all that useful in another 6 months when most things change. Take a look at WW, see how much the weights vary by year. Plus people won't know if they are looking at something new or old.

Other than that, it looks good.
User avatar
madcow
Dork Overlord
 
Posts: 2758
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am
Location: Tucson, Az.

Postby jeremyb » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:49 pm

thanks, yeah okay, will try to add years to things, i see your point.
http://www.plusonelap.blogspot.com a lightweight cyclocross gallery and blog
jeremyb
Cat 4
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:09 pm

Postby Boonen » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:32 pm

Sounds like a good idea if many people will post weights! A manufacturing year definetly would be handy, maybe a special section for addings like f.i stem length or fork length etc.
I don't know if it's possible but what I really like about the listings over at ww's is that you can relist them from lightest to heaviest component or on alfabet etc. if it's possible to add that I think it would be usefull as it can be hard to find weights when the list gets long.

Also I tried registering, but somehow I get defn error if I want to enter a password, any ideas?
Boonen
Faster than Superman
 
Posts: 4584
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:12 pm

Postby Balenaar » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:35 pm

Good idea, but it's gonna be very difficult to place everything in right order and to know the exactly weights of evrything ...
User avatar
Balenaar
Cat 2
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:20 pm
Location: Belgium - Flanders

Postby jeremyb » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:03 pm

boonen----you have to register then enter the special password, i wanted people to email me for it but it doesnt matter i guess---- the special password is: lightweight

enter than and you'll be good to go. and start posting...the system doesnt want to let just anyone into the "community" but I trust weight weiners.

Yeah making the table sortable would be great, and its whats needed to really compete with the WW list, but at the time that is not possible.

I think it could big as well, if people started posting to it. there are about 239 weights already (basically my personal catalog of weights ive weighed and another users)
http://www.plusonelap.blogspot.com a lightweight cyclocross gallery and blog
jeremyb
Cat 4
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:09 pm

Postby jeremyb » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:17 am

i had an idea on how to cut down the importance of the sortable table------increase the amount of categories.

for example, instead of just "hubs" as WW has. I have set the wiki to have:

Hubs-front disc
Hubs-rear disc
Hubs-front non disc
Hubs-rear non disc

This way there are less listings per cat. making each category easier on the eyes.

This can be done for front/rear wheels, road/mtn stems, integrated/std headsets etc.


jeremy
http://www.plusonelap.blogspot.com a lightweight cyclocross gallery and blog
jeremyb
Cat 4
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:09 pm

Postby Boonen » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:26 am

jeremyb wrote:boonen----you have to register then enter the special password, i wanted people to email me for it but it doesnt matter i guess---- the special password is: lightweight


Thanks Jeremy, I had trouble with registering with PBWiki itself, so I hadn't even come around in sending you an e-mail yet. I just tried again and now it worked, I'll add some weights of stuff I have weighed myself and have pictures of on a scale when I got the time.

PS: just read a bit more on your blog, I think it's great and wanted you to know that I always wash my gloves with the rest of my cycling clothes, it keeps them nice and soft :wink:

PS2: I edited your opening site just a bit by adding a link to the registering site (I had a bit of a hard time finding it so it might be helpfull to others) I'm pretty sure you had it on there a few days ago? Hope you don't mind!
Boonen
Faster than Superman
 
Posts: 4584
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:12 pm

Postby Knut » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:37 am

Anonymous wrote:Another good way is to put your gloves the mesh bags women use to wash their lingerie in the washing machine. Just do it on a gentle cycle and then let them air dry. I'll do all my bike clothes at once and by putting my gloves in the bags ti keeps the velcro from roughiing up the lycra and tearing the gloves.



I think that this comment from the blog wraps it up pretty good, at least that's what I do also...
Just get out and ride!
User avatar
Knut
VIP
 
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:29 pm
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Postby Boonen » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:41 am

Knut wrote:I think that this comment from the blog wraps it up pretty good, at least that's what I do also...


I just make sure that the velcro pieces are closed so the gloves don't stick on other clothes, works for me but I guess the 'lingery bag' would work even better. :lol:
Boonen
Faster than Superman
 
Posts: 4584
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:12 pm

Re:

Postby jeremyb » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:22 pm

Boonen wrote:
jeremyb wrote:boonen----you have to register then enter the special password, i wanted people to email me for it but it doesnt matter i guess---- the special password is: lightweight


Thanks Jeremy, I had trouble with registering with PBWiki itself, so I hadn't even come around in sending you an e-mail yet. I just tried again and now it worked, I'll add some weights of stuff I have weighed myself and have pictures of on a scale when I got the time.

PS: just read a bit more on your blog, I think it's great and wanted you to know that I always wash my gloves with the rest of my cycling clothes, it keeps them nice and soft :wink:

PS2: I edited your opening site just a bit by adding a link to the registering site (I had a bit of a hard time finding it so it might be helpfull to others) I'm pretty sure you had it on there a few days ago? Hope you don't mind!


No problem, thanks for posting.
http://www.plusonelap.blogspot.com a lightweight cyclocross gallery and blog
jeremyb
Cat 4
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:09 pm


Return to General cycling

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 3 guests