Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Motorbikes anybody?

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Postby alexedge » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:02 am

Fibre-Lyte wrote:I totally agree about the SV. I only ever hear good things about that bike, probably explains why we sell so many accessories for them!

Alex, regarding your comments about the R1, in the UK they're considered a bit of a death wish bike i.e. far too much like a race bike on the road which may explain why insurance is VERY high for them. In the 1000 range, the GSXR1000 seems the best of the bunch?

Interestingly, no-one (including me) has mentioned the Triumph Daytona 675. All the reviews I've seen suggest that's the 'benchmark' bike? However, for some reason Triumph seem to think that the US market prefers their 3 litre bike :shock:

JMT, I think Harleys are great, but they are for riders who don't mind being left behind :roll: :wink:

I don't know about "death wish", but the R1 is definitely the best literbike I've ever ridden on the track, hands down. Everything moves so fast, though - my dad just returned from Kawasaki's press intro for the new ZX-10R, and even though the track was pretty dusty off-line (Losail, Qatar), his initial impression was EXTREMELY positive.

In mentioning the 675, you've completed the list of bikes making up my current dilemma. A friend has an incredibly clean gunmetal 675 I almost bought, but then I saw the new flat black 600RR and sort of fell in love with that bike. But in the back of my mind I keep remembering how good that R1 felt at Laguna and imagining how much faster I could go on DOT race tires, and I wonder if I should just give up and buy a damn 1000 like everyone else.

Still stuck in indecision phase...
Want to trade my immaculate EC90SLX for (with 8.5" steer tube) for an uncut EC90SLX or EC90 Aero? long shot I know, but PM me if you're interested. Or I will sell it if I get a good offer....
alexedge
Cat 2

Postby frenk » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:45 pm

I got it! Deep blue '05 CBR600RR :grin:

I won't put plates and ride it until end of January, because 1) it's snowing now, 2) I will be in the army for a good part of January.
I'll post pictures at that moment.

Thanks a lot for helping in the decision, in particular lots of good advice by Alex!
frenk
Cat 2

Postby alexedge » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:18 pm

Saw the pics, bike is beautiful! First accessory - frame sliders. Do it NOW. I've lost count of the friends who kept saying "tomorrow, tomorrow" till they dropped their bike and ended up with a $1k bill for plastics, more if you break the headlight (a LOT more)...
Want to trade my immaculate EC90SLX for (with 8.5" steer tube) for an uncut EC90SLX or EC90 Aero? long shot I know, but PM me if you're interested. Or I will sell it if I get a good offer....
alexedge
Cat 2

Postby Wilier » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:38 pm

My top 3 favorites:

Wilier
Cat 2

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:08 pm

alexedge wrote:my dad just returned from Kawasaki's press intro for the new ZX-10R, and even though the track was pretty dusty off-line (Losail, Qatar), his initial impression was EXTREMELY positive.

Never ridden one, but I love the look of them so I'd go with your dads opinion...for me personally, that over the R1 :wink:

alexedge wrote:Still stuck in indecision phase...

just get them all and start a motorbike collection :wink:

Wilier, alexedge probably has a more informed opinion than me but most riders I seen talk about the Duc's reckon the 999 is better than the 1098! However, the MV is a stunner, and then there's the Benelli :grin:
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby Theros » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:07 pm

Cool frenk, looking forward to the pics!

Has anyone ever ridden a Moto Guzzi V50 (In this case the Nato version, for the Dutch military/police). My dad wants to buy one for fun like sunday rides and fiddling about but I'm not sure if it's worth buying an older machine while the newer ones aren't that expensive.
Theros
Cat 3

Postby Nicolai » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:25 pm

Nicolai gives his seal (oink-oink) of approval to teh Duc 1098, while he's patting his beloved Duc Monster, only to be exchanged on something more greyhoundish for the next summer. :roll:
Nicolai
"Dirtee Tailor"

Postby frenk » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:39 pm

So yesterday I picked up the 600rr. Really a wonderful bike!

I still have to get used to it, but it rides really well.
At some point the engine started screaming and I thought "now it's getting interesting", I looked down and saw 5k rpms. Red line is at 12 or 14 k. Go figure :shock: Definitely need to get used :D

Would like to post some pics but the weather is shitty right now, we should get snow next week thus I won't be riding for a while :(
frenk
Cat 2

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:47 am

frenk wrote:Red line is at 12 or 14 k.

If you can hold your bike in every gear to the red line, I'll be in awe of you :twisted:

I'm looking forward to seeing the pics 8-)
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby alexedge » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:44 pm

frenk wrote:So yesterday I picked up the 600rr. Really a wonderful bike!

I still have to get used to it, but it rides really well.
At some point the engine started screaming and I thought "now it's getting interesting", I looked down and saw 5k rpms. Red line is at 12 or 14 k. Go figure :shock: Definitely need to get used :D

Would like to post some pics but the weather is shitty right now, we should get snow next week thus I won't be riding for a while :(

man, be careful during- and post-snow. go back and re-read my frame sliders recommendation. I'm serious - buy them NOW and install them YESTERDAY! lol

otherwise good luck as you've just entered the only activity I enjoy as much as cycling. if you have any questions or comments feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to help!
alexedge
Cat 2

Re: Motorbikes anybody?

Postby frenk » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:25 am

With a year of delay I can finally post some pics of the CBR.

I must say the 600RR is a wonderful bike: very easy to twist, perfect handling, always predictable.
Too bad I'm already selling it... :bangHead: Why? Simply because after many years without a motorbike I realized it's way too easy to get in legal trouble on open roads with a sport bike nowadays. I have good self-control but the legal system here is way strict on road stuff. It's easy to go slightly faster than allowed and consequences can be ugly. Not something I want/can afford to go through...
When you open the mailbox and your heart skips a beat every time there is a gray envelope, it takes away most of the pleasure of riding.

If there was a track in the area I would make it a track-only bike in a second. Unfortunately there's no track within less than 3 hours of driving.

Add the fact that I've not much time to ride (and when there's the choice usually is the bike with pedals that wins), and the decision is quite obvious (but not easy :'( )

Anyway I loved the CBR and I'll keep helmet and gear, just in case... :twisted:.

P.S. Happy Birthday Alexedge and thanks for the advice at the time I bought the 600RR!

(click for super-hi res)

Image Image Image Image
frenk
Cat 2

Postby Fuchs » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:02 pm

out of shape? start with supermoto and you will think a new way ;)

i just build an lightweight long-distance supermoto. lots of carbon, aluminium and other nice stuff ;)
Fuchs
Cat 2

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:38 am

Pics Fuchs, pics. You know the rules.....
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Boonen » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:20 am

YES, we need some pictures of that Fuchs :D
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:08 pm

Tick tock......
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

PreviousNext

Return to General cycling