Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Favorite Tubulars?

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Favorite Tubulars?

Postby Mat » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:04 am

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for advise on which tubulars will roll more and flat less...

What are your favorite singles?

So far I am looking at:

Conti Competition 22
Conti GP4000SR
Schwalbe Ultremo

Cheers,

Mat.
Mat
Cat 2

Postby mathi » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:11 am

I love my Veloflex carbons , i havent tried the 3 you merntion but would love some Ultremo tubs :grin:
mathi
Cat 2

Re: Favorite Tubulars?

Postby FelixOr » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:51 am

Mat wrote:
What are your favorite singles?

Veloflex ServizioCorse

So far I am looking at:

Conti Competition 22
Conti GP4000SR
Schwalbe Ultremo

Cheers,

Mat.

hmm... out of these 3, I would prefer the Ultremo, because I like the clincher-version so much. I doubt though, that you'll have any advantage with one of them over the other two.
Only point I could think of, is that the 4000SR may be easier to install, due to the way the tire is built.
FelixOr
O-C-D WW

Postby fred » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:12 am

Veloflex Carbon, can't think of any better atm !
Or Veloflex Criterium (because of their beige border 8) )

Conti competition is quite good in rainy circumstances, but not more than that eighter. They're a bit too stocky when the weather is nice, no advantages in comparison with clinchers I think.

Schwalbe Ultremo is great as a clincher, but as a tubular :dunno:
fred
Cat 2

Re: Tubulars

Postby geoff » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:43 pm

I used Vittoria CX/CG combinations (front/rear) forever. They stopped making the CG, but the current Vittoria All-Weather is VERY similar. I have had great luck with those (they wear to the cords before flatting). Lately, I have had really good luck with the Conti 22s. I have used them for 3 years now (including as daily-drivers in training) with no flats.
geoff
Cat 4

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:23 pm

This thread has got my attention as I'm going to be riding my first ever tubular wheelset this spring, and my immediate thoughts were to be using the Schwalbe Ultremos (as I love my Stelvio clinchers so much) but Veloflex's seem to the preferred choice here atm?
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby pritchet74 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:39 pm

I prefer the Vittoria Cronos. :wink:
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby fred » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:46 pm

Fibre-Lyte wrote:This thread has got my attention as I'm going to be riding my first ever tubular wheelset this spring, and my immediate thoughts were to be using the Schwalbe Ultremos (as I love my Stelvio clinchers so much) but Veloflex's seem to the preferred choice here atm?

As for me they are !
But currently I've become very interested in the Dugast road tubulars.
They seem to be quite good as well...though I don't know whether they're though enough...
FMB is an option as well, Adrien has got them now in his Boutique !
Those tubulars are quite similar build as the Dugast, so you can be sure of quality.

But you pay a high price for those :(

I'm using tubulars on my trainingsbike as well this year, but I'll be using No Tubes on them :wink:
fred
Cat 2

Postby Jared B » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:51 pm

The Veloflex's seem to be the go but they are awefully hard to get hold of.
They would be my first choice in the carbon's. The Crono's are a great tyre as well. Comp 22 next in my book.

Does anyone know of a good relaible soarce of getting hold of them?

jared
Jared B
Manufacturer

Postby fred » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:02 am

I got mine through a PRO team... I bought 8 in 1time, still got 3left now.
Don't know what to use on my Speedcomposites yet... Beige or black tubulars ???

But as I saw, you can order them on the Veloflex website?
fred
Cat 2

Postby rd » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:25 am

Have you tried getting them through Cycling Projects Jared?
rd
Cat 4

Postby pk0r » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:42 am

Favorite and best is probably quite another cup of tea though, especially as this is not necessarily generalizeable to just everyone with people having different demands in grip, CRR, mileage, weight, price/value etc.

From a performance standpoint I very much like the Dugast Silk, however taking their price tag and availability into account, I would probably still not rate them to be my 1st choice. I have to admit I don't feel that well when using them in the current weather (it's winter over here) just in the knowledge that a puncture might cost 100Eur.
Veloflex performs pretty similar, but to me offers less grip and at the same time feels slightly less supple.
Personally I will be using the Vittoria Crono tubs this season as a couple of friends have been raving these.

The best all-around tubular might still be Conti's GP4000 resp. for a better price/value ratio even their Sprinter. I do put quite some home into the Ultremo there as well - if it ever comes to see the light of the day any time soon that is. :twisted:
| pk0r.com | "I respect the work in coloring parts but the result is stupid-monkey in silk clothes is still monkey." |
| http://www.ax-Lightness.de |
pk0r
Cat 1

Postby Jared B » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:32 am

rd wrote:Have you tried getting them through Cycling Projects Jared?

I have but Felice has told me that they did not receive one single tire from Veloflex at all last year.
Jared B
Manufacturer

Postby madcow » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:45 am

There was some mention of assurance of quality from Dugast. This is not true, we've had many Dugasts which have had bulges and snakes in them. We've seen far better QC from FMB.

As for the best all around, with puncture resistance as a factor, I agree with Nils. The GP4000 is it. It is 2nd in puncture/cut resistance to only the gatorskin. Yet the ride is still really nice.
madcow
Dork Overlord

Postby Mat » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:14 am

Thanks Guys, for your thoughts and opinions, as for a reliable place to get most of those mentioned (at a good price) try:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/list2.asp ... t=TUBULARS

The Conti's are pretty cheap there (especially for you yanks) the Velo carbon is getting a little up there in the kangaroo dollar.

If the Cronos are as good as suggested, then they are a steal there!

Cheers,

M.
Mat
Cat 2

Next

Return to General cycling