Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Edge 1.0 Rims. 38/68mm

German Distributor

Postby Jmpantone » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:50 am

Ypsylon,

We have been working on getting a distributor set up in Germany. In the meantime you are more than welcome to give me a call and order a set at your leisure.

Jake
1-801-476-3363
jake@edgecomposites.com
Choose Edge when failure is not an option....
Jmpantone
Manufacturer

Postby Z3c56 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:07 am

All,

I have been logging some miles on a set of 2-68's, the slightly stronger/heavier rims, and have also been very impressed. I am a lot heavier than Jason, around 185, and have not had any issues yet. Mine are built around DT 190's and DT spokes, FWIW.

Decals are very easy to remove; I have been lobbying Edge to go with their outline decal which is also white but a little less bold.. Express opinions here as Jake listens..

Have also been riding a 2.0 fork in the Z3c and all good to report there as well, certainly as nice or better that the AlphaQ that it replaced.

I have not taken mine off of any steps though! I don't think I possess the same grace as Jason..

All in all, my opinion is that Edge gets it and is a brand to watch.

Scott
Z3c56
Cat 4

Postby Berzin » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:53 am

Madcow-how would you compare these rims to any in the Zipp line?
Berzin
Cat 3

Postby Amadeus » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:45 pm

Well Jake tuning in himself.... !

This is what I like about a forum like this (first hand info!).

Thanks for your info Jake and Jason ....

I am going to build a set 1.38 on a light and smooth hub..... Maybe the M5 hubs (If M5 then I will use the rear version that is made for crossing spokes on the left side also).

Later I will do a pair 1.68 on the hubs I still have to decide....

But I have to wait a month for the clinhers annyway so time enough to find a light and strong hub combination....
My bike is Italian so it is Nervosa and of course has Anorexia I like them thin!
-Gios New Carbon Ultra + a selection of the finest components (2006).
-Ridley Pheaton + Campa Record(2006) [my winterbike].
Amadeus
Cat 5

Postby j0m » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:04 pm

As always a superb review!

Does anyone know when we can expect some wind tunnel data on any of the Edge rims?
j0m
The Big Brain

Postby Amadeus » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:37 pm

Well about wind tunnel data…. These are predictable.

Aerodynamics of a rim are direct related to how deep the rim is.
In the complete wheel also spoke count and the use of flat aerodynamic spokes do matter.

Then there is the wideness of the rim. Even with the wider rim shape (Zip for instance) it seems that there is no significant aerodynamic advantage. Most testing’s still lead to the conclusion that a narrow rim and tyre still is faster. The manufacturers overstate the effects of the wider rim and bulge.

All the B-S about dimpling in rims (Zip) is just marketing …… it’s a way to try to be different and de Golf ball bullocks is a nice commercial story. Dimpling is in no way resulting in to significant better aerodynamic performance of a wheel.

So about aerodynamics you can predict the following ;

The EDGE 1.68 will be in-between the Zipp 404 and Zipp 808….
The EDGE 1.38 will be in the league with all the other available rims of approximately the same depth ….

There is no (new) testing needed. Only if you want exact data… For a specific wheel configuration.
My bike is Italian so it is Nervosa and of course has Anorexia I like them thin!
-Gios New Carbon Ultra + a selection of the finest components (2006).
-Ridley Pheaton + Campa Record(2006) [my winterbike].
Amadeus
Cat 5

Postby ergott » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:35 pm

Did a ride with only the front. I built up a 1.68 to H1 with 20 2X CX-Rays. Wind was OK at 10-12mph, and no noticeable push from the wheel (wasn't expecting any). As I noted on WW, the reinforced holes is another benefit of molding them. There is a ridge at each spoke hole. It built up real easy and didn't moan and groan when tensioning like some rims do. The bladder is removed so for equal weight, they have more carbon than competitors. The inside of the rims are nicer than the outside of some rims! They are the cleanest insides I've ever seen. I like the attention to detail.

I'll have my rear done for next weekend.

-Eric
ergott
Cat 5

Postby kavitator » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:52 pm

Nice photo!
And nice rims :P
is that price for one rim (700$)or pair? :roll:
WE ARE ONLY STARDUST...so BE COOL :)

kavitator
Cat 2

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:06 pm

price is for 1 rim.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Starnut » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:50 pm

So ergott and madcow.....................what kind of nips are in there? Standard DT alu/brass, or some funky head like the Lew hex things? Also, you guys care to share the ERD on them as well?

As for stickers, I kinda like the Euro trash huge logo thing. They should offer a bunch of different colors.

Starnut
"don't pedal harder, pedal faster"
Starnut
Cat 3

Postby ergott » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:16 pm

Pillar hex nipples. They are alloy with a nylon locking ring (same size as Reynolds, but different nipple). The ERD for the 68mm is 525mm

-Eric
ergott
Cat 5

Postby jsmst32 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:03 am

Anybody build up the 38mm clincher rims yet? I haven't heard too much about these lately? Are they out yet?
jsmst32
Cat 2

Postby lancev7 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:54 am

They will to be availible until february/march of 2008, so you have to wait a little longer.
colnago extreme-c
lancev7
Cat 2

Postby jsmst32 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:29 am

The wait is killing me. :evil: Maybe I'll go ahead and get the 1.38 tubular. Besides I think my Campy Eurus and the 1.38 clincher might be too similar. :roll:
jsmst32
Cat 2

Postby Linus » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:46 pm

Like I posted on WW, their finish is not good as what Madcow said. :?

Linus
Cyclotourist

PreviousNext

Return to Reviews