Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Extralite QRC Compact crankset.

Postby slisk » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:17 pm

Hey Madcow,

Can you throw a pair of Fibrelyte rings on and give a test report. I still haven't fully decided on cranks for the Uberlight that is in development. It's a Campy bike and these cranks are on the list of possibilities.
I buy everything that JMT lists on this site.
slisk
Grand Tourer

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:15 am

Regarding Alexedge's and Johnny Rad's comments about the surface machining, my guess would be for the 'look'. It's surprising how many people like that 'machined' look. I remember visiting the 'HOPE' stand at the London Cycle Show and they have various parts with the same surface machining style and the stand is always busy with people commenting on how great they look. On a personal note, I like it as well :D
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby alexedge » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:43 am

Fibre-Lyte wrote:Regarding Alexedge's and Johnny Rad's comments about the surface machining, my guess would be for the 'look'. It's surprising how many people like that 'machined' look. I remember visiting the 'HOPE' stand at the London Cycle Show and they have various parts with the same surface machining style and the stand is always busy with people commenting on how great they look. On a personal note, I like it as well :D

It definitely looks different - not sure if I like it or not. However, one of the first things I learned as an apprentice machinist oh so many years ago is that the smoother the surface, the stronger it is - bumps, sharp edges, anything like that are just focal points for stress and are perfect places for fatigue-induce stress risers to turn into cracks. In this case, I doubt that would ever happen, as the cranks look extremely strong, but based on the way I was taught, GOOD machining means making things SMOOTH.

I wonder if the tool marks are not just for looks - the could be intended to create what we in the motorcycle industry call "tuned flex" - perhaps to make the ride smoother, more like a carbon crank? I wonder if someone from Extralite could chime in and give a hint at their reasoning for this surface finish. I'd also like to know if that surface was cut with a ball end-mill, which would make the tool marks more like 'waves'.

Either way, I still want to buy a set - but depending on my feeling when I get around to the purchase, I might have the surface machined smooth and then polished before powder-coating or plating....
Want to trade my immaculate EC90SLX for (with 8.5" steer tube) for an uncut EC90SLX or EC90 Aero? long shot I know, but PM me if you're interested. Or I will sell it if I get a good offer....
alexedge
Cat 2

Postby dadoflam » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:06 am

Hi Madcow
I'm a bit of a newbie and have enjoyed your recent reviews - very informative. I'm in the market for cranks for my new bike and had a couple of queries:
1. What is your opinion of the Extralite outboard bearing system - I would assume better performance than say ISIS but is the larger diameter noticeable over say Shimano or Campy UT as Extralite claim?

2. Once all rings etc are fitted how does the complete crankset/BB assembly compare weightwise against say Carbon Record UT?

PS I agree with comments above that smooth finish would be more attractive - particularly now that Extralite have also added engraved words into crank arm as well - getting very busy.
Cheers
dadoflam
Cat 3

Postby madcow » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:49 pm

1. I don't know if the larger bearing is more noticeable, because I don't really feel any significant flex in any of the cranks(Campy, DA or Extralite). By design, the larger spindle should be stiffer than if Extralite had used a smaller spindle, but it doesn't mean that it has to necessarily be stiffer than the smaller DA or Campy one.

2. Complete UT weight 692grams. The complete setup on my bike with TA rings and chainring bolts was 599grams.
madcow
Dork Overlord

Postby ookii » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:45 pm

Madcow,
When are you going to have these back in stock? You also said there was less of a problem with the Extralite rings running Campagnolo, would you still recamend the TA rings? By my calculations the TA rings are $25 less but 18g more.

thanks
eddd
ookii
Cat 5

Postby Roy Batty » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:08 pm

Here's mine with ceramic bearings (turns like melted butter) and carbon rings from that nice Fibre-Lyte chappie.

KB
Attachments
ww extralite -.jpg
Roy Batty
Cat 2

Postby rayhuang » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:25 pm

Roy batty-that looks like a nice TT set-up and light.

btw-love the name and location reference to my fav movie of all time.
rayhuang
Cat 4

Postby dadoflam » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:57 pm

Ditto on bike looks, username & movie - 'if you could have seen what these eyes have seen...'
dadoflam
Cat 3

Postby Roy Batty » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:36 am

Don't know what it is, but I have an undying fascination with Bladerunner, particularly Rutger Hauer (Roy Batty). The scene where dies on the rooftop and the dove flying from his hand. Classic. Watched another classic last night (Chinatown) with Jack Nicholson, Faye Dunaway and John Huston.

Yes, the rings have that TT look about them, but that was deliberate. I wanted that chunky look to match the deep rims and hubs of the LW's. It just fitted my perception of how how I wanted the bike to look. In fact the frame is at the painters (again) as I'm keeping the shiny polished titanium, but where it was white it will now be a metallic black and the components will be all black as well, which is a counterpoint to my new build, which be all white. Neither bike will have any 'colour'.

I may have some more rings done by Stephen which look more 'road'. This will go with my new build in Columbus Spirit and for which I'm having some Edge 38's with DT 240 hubs and Aerolite spokes.

KB
Roy Batty
Cat 2

Postby mathi » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:41 pm

Cant wait to see again :grin:
mathi
Cat 2

Postby Johnny Rad » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:27 am

Update on 170mm availability?
Johnny Rad
Cat 3

Postby djconnel » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:42 am

Johnny Rad wrote:Update on 170mm availability?

date: 15 Nov 2007
to: me

> Will you be selling 170mm E-bones?

Hi Daniel,
not in project.

Sincerly
Alessandro Sacco
Extralite
djconnel
Cat 3

Postby Johnny Rad » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:19 am

That's great. Just great.

I hate to spend that kind of money to try a 172.5 ... it could be an expensive "mistake."

Guess I'm going to replace the BB on my current crank and wait for the next uber-crank. Not a bad thing I suppose.
Johnny Rad
Cat 3

Postby nrspeed » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:25 pm

I just got an Extralite crankset from Fairwheel and was very impressed with the service and quick shipping. The installation went smoothly (I already had a Shimano BB installation tool). I was very pleased with the ability to tune the bearing tension. What a great idea!
One thing that threw me for a loop though was the consequences of having a hidden bolt behind the crankarm. It offsets the pin on the big ring in case of a dropped chain. On some chainrings (Stronglite CT2) you can unscrew the pin. On others (SRAM RED, FSA) you have to drill it out or snap it off.
I immediately felt good with the reduced Q factor and like being back on metal cranks from carbon.
Thanks for the input and recommendation Madcow and Fairwheel!
nrspeed
Cat 3

PreviousNext

Return to Reviews