Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Extralite QRC Compact crankset.

Extralite QRC Compact crankset.

Postby madcow » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:19 pm

Claimed weight: 485grams with bb cups, bearings, spindle and mounting bolts. Actual weight was just a couple of grams below claimed.

Chainline: 43.5

Qfactor: 138mm

Installation was smooth and easy. One nice feature of the QRC is the bearings do have a preload adjustment and the tool to do it is included. Finish was top notch(as one would expect from Extralite)

My first try on these cranks was with the Extralite compact rings. While this worked ok with the campy setup(due to the multiple micro adjusts for the front), it did not work well at all with the Sram Red or Dura Ace setups. They both had a tendency to drop the chain off the inside. The surprise to this was that it could happen when shifting from the small to large ring. If the chain did not instantly climb to the big ring it would drop down and miss the small ring ending up on the bb shell.

I removed the Extralite rings and replaced them with TA rings. This made a dramatic difference. The shifting was smooth and fast and I've still not dropped the chain, even when trying to.

The stiffness seems to be plenty. Not weighing much nor being super strong, I could probably not tell the difference in stiffness between Record and Ultegra. All I can say is that these are plenty stiff for me with no noticeable loss.

My personal feelings on cranks is that the market has been lacking what I would consider a standout crank. All the cranks that I've tried so far have had at least one thing that I didn't like about them. The requirements I have for a good crank are as follows:
Lightweight, durable, nicely finished, stiff, narrow q-factor, easy availability and a decent price. This crank combines those features in the best combination of anything I've seen on the market to date.

Their is only 1 complaint I have about the cranks. They are not available with a 130bcd. They are compact only. My riding style hasn't in the past been suited for compact, I find myself cross chaining a lot. However, I like these cranks enough that I'm going to keep them on my main bike and try to adjust my shifting/riding style to suit.
Attachments
qrc1.jpg
qrc2.jpg
qrc3.jpg
qrc4.jpg
madcow
Dork Overlord

Postby djconnel » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:42 pm

rascel wrote:FRM produces very light 53/39 chainrings with 110bcd, if you want to change the setup.

Also, if you don't miss the 53/11, A 50/36 (1.39) is closer to a 53/39 (1.35) than a 50/34 (1.56), while preserving 110mm's lower gears.

I'd add one item to your list of ideal cranks:
* available in a wide range of lengths

Here's where these fail: 172.5 and 175 only, AFAICT.
djconnel
Cat 3

Postby ras11 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:26 pm

djconnel wrote:Here's where these fail: 172.5 and 175 only, AFAICT.

+1 to that...

Anyways.. thanks for the review Madcow. Any comments on the bearings or service-ablity?

Does TA make 110 rings with the drop pin at the carnk arm?
ras11
Cat 3

Postby madcow » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:43 pm

The length has never really been a consideration of mine since I've always used a 172. Perhaps we can convince Sergio to do a 170.

The TA rings do not have the drop pin at the crank arm but the hidden bolt acts as a drop pin, though a bit more toward the center of the crank than a 130 rings pin would be.
madcow
Dork Overlord

Postby kx_1 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:10 am

Hi,
One question, why you used Syirius TA and not Zephyr?? is there a difference in weight or in performance??

thanks
Harris
kx_1
Cat 4

Re: Extralite QRC Compact crankset.

Postby mythical » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:38 pm

madcow wrote: My personal feelings on cranks is that the market has been lacking what I would consider a standout crank. All the cranks that I've tried so far have had at least one thing that I didn't like about them.

I second that. However, I must admit the Extralite guys did a really good job. I like the narrow Q-factor and the look created with the CNC-work. That must've taken many programming hours! Kudos to Sergio! :thumbUp:
mythical
Manufacturer

Postby alexedge » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:49 pm

Yeah these cranks are definitely stunning. They are now right at the top of my to-buy list, for BOTH my bikes. Although I'm not sure if anyone makes a flat (non ramped/pinned) 40T front sprocket in 110bcd (for my singlespeed). But they will definitely look good on the geared bike.

I wish they gave the option to choose between 110 and 130, but I can understand why they chose compact only. If I had to keep manufacturing costs down (as the owner of a small company) by choosing only one, I bet the marketing data shows that buyers are leaning more and more towards compact cranks these days. Look how many more bikes are coming from the factory with a compact, or at least with the OPTION of a compact.

But I do agree about the length - I spin 170s strictly, so hopefully by the time I'm ready to buy, they'll have 170s available...
Want to trade my immaculate EC90SLX for (with 8.5" steer tube) for an uncut EC90SLX or EC90 Aero? long shot I know, but PM me if you're interested. Or I will sell it if I get a good offer....
alexedge
Cat 2

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:26 pm

alexedge wrote:Although I'm not sure if anyone makes a flat (non ramped/pinned) 40T front sprocket in 110bcd (for my singlespeed)

:wink:

rascel wrote:FRM produces very light 53/39 chainrings with 110bcd, if you want to change the setup.

There can be an issue with using 53/39 rings on a 110BCD crankset, but it depends on the rings and the riding style. Because the rings are bolted closer to the centre on a 110 there is a greater distance for the ring to flex over. If the chainrings are very stiff, or the rider is only a 'casual' rider that may not be an issue, but for sprinters, or hill climbers, it could be (plus front changing can be affected) :wink:

edit: forgot to mention that I really like these cranksets 8-)
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby 4kicks » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:32 pm

Madcow - sorry to be very specific, but how hard are these things to install for someone who has NEVER put a crankset on a bike before..but I am reasonably mechanically adept and have tools!
Thanks
"only two things are infinite; the Universe, and Human Stupidity- and I´m not so sure about the former" Albert Einstein
4kicks
Cat 3

Postby ookii » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:35 pm

Any further update?
eddd
ookii
Cat 5

Postby madcow » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:21 pm

4kicks wrote:Madcow - sorry to be very specific, but how hard are these things to install for someone who has NEVER put a crankset on a bike before..but I am reasonably mechanically adept and have tools!
Thanks
I don't think it's terribly difficult, as it does come with decent instructions.

ookii wrote:Any further update?
Still riding them, still no problems. I'm actually quite happy with this crank and don't miss my THM cranks.
madcow
Dork Overlord

Postby alexedge » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:19 pm

madcow wrote:Still riding them, still no problems. I'm actually quite happy with this crank and don't miss my THM cranks.

That's a pretty solid endorsement!

And Fibrelyte, guess I know who to call when I need that flat 40T :)
Want to trade my immaculate EC90SLX for (with 8.5" steer tube) for an uncut EC90SLX or EC90 Aero? long shot I know, but PM me if you're interested. Or I will sell it if I get a good offer....
alexedge
Cat 2

Postby RTW » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:17 pm

And the pedals?
RTW
Manufacturer

Postby alexedge » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:29 am

As an ex-machinist, I'm wondering why they leave those very visible toolmarks on the face of the arms rather than machining them smooth?
alexedge
Cat 2

Postby Johnny Rad » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:05 am

As a non-machinist, I completely agree with the point alesedge makes.

While the toolmarks seem to highlight their manufacturing process (CNC?), it seems superfluous. Just "marketing" somehow? Maybe just establishing it's own "look?"

Would it cost more without them? Who would've flinched at a few more dollars? I think not many.

Would it have weighed less? Its uber light to begin with, but even a few grams would have delighted our WW fantasies that much more.

* I still want it! The toolmarks seem odd to me, but certainly not enough to kick it off my list.
Johnny Rad
Cat 3

Next

Return to Reviews