Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Tuned Easton EC90 ZeroOffset

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Tuned Easton EC90 ZeroOffset

Postby FelixOr » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:35 pm

Hi,
I finally got the last parts I needed to finish the clamp for my EC90 ZeroOffset seatpost.
The post itself is a 260mm/31.6mm Easton EC90 Zero. With the original clamp it weighed 162grams, which was pretty nice, but every 5year old child could see that there's a lot of tuning potential in the clamp..... The thing was huge and ugly as well, so I had to do something.

The first thing I did, was filing off some material of the carbon halfpipe. It weighs 11grams now.
Second step was to order some aluminium beams from AX-Lightness, which I had to modify a little bit, because they didn't fit the Becker carbon-saddle.
3rd step: The bolts are titanium M6 ones, and weigh only 7grams :shock: .... I thought they were like 10-12gr.? I had to widen the "tunnels" of the post were you put the bolts through a little bit, because the original bolts were only M5.

complete weight: 113grams. So i lost 49grams with modifying the clamp :lol:

See all pictures here:
http://photoalbum.powershot.de/album.php?albumid=11687

FelixOr
O-C-D WW

Postby FelixOr » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:36 pm

more pics:

FelixOr
O-C-D WW

Postby madcow » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:30 pm

That really is quite impressive, Felix. I knew there was some weight to save in the head, but I never thought it would have been that much.

Very nice work.
madcow
Dork Overlord

Postby FelixOr » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:17 pm

thanks madcow.
after i bought the seatpost, and looked at the clamp, i already knew that you can save about 40-50grams with little effort. As I said, the original clamp is huge and absolutely oversized. If i remember correctly, the upper part of the clamp, which presses the saddle-rails downwards (i don't know what this is called, sorry) weighed as much as the complete new one! The only minor challenge was to make the beams fit the Becker-Carbon saddle.
FelixOr
O-C-D WW

Postby ziembolfxc » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:39 pm

Nice Work FelixOr

Maybe do you know what weight will this Easton have when it will be 400mm long??
ziembolfxc
Cyclotourist

Postby FelixOr » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:39 am

ziembolfxc wrote:Nice Work FelixOr

Maybe do you know what weight will this Easton have when it will be 400mm long??

Hi,
if i remember correctly, i saw one some months ago, with a very similar clamping system. The weight was around 145grams.....
i will look it up for you!
FelixOr
O-C-D WW

Postby FelixOr » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:52 am

i found it.... the weight for a 400mm post with a clamp that is little heavier than mine comes in at 161grams.

cheers,
felix
FelixOr
O-C-D WW

Postby tcr » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:08 am

That is a really decent amount of weight lost, well done Felix! :)

Do you have a picture of what the clamp looked like before? I'm curious to see where you lost all the weight from.
tcr
Cat 2

Postby Tommy » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:12 pm

Felix, aren't u scared that by using those AX beams the stresses in the carbon rails wil be to high? Don't get me wrong, i love the work done on the clamp and i have been experimenting myself with my EC90 zero offset but the original clamp is realy friendly on saddle rails while with the ax beams it seems a bit tricky.
LESS IS MORE
Tommy
Cat 3

Postby FelixOr » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:46 pm

Tommy wrote:Felix, aren't u scared that by using those AX beams the stresses in the carbon rails wil be to high? Don't get me wrong, i love the work done on the clamp and i have been experimenting myself with my EC90 zero offset but the original clamp is realy friendly on saddle rails while with the ax beams it seems a bit tricky.

ax is producing saddles with carbon-rails...... do you think they would offer a seatpost that isn't compatible to their saddles? ;)
FelixOr
O-C-D WW

Postby col hicks » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:39 pm

:D felix what do you think of the becker saddle , is it comfy and do you think it will fit on my ax post alright . i really want one
col hicks
Cat 2

Postby FelixOr » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:49 pm

col hicks wrote::D felix what do you think of the becker saddle , is it comfy and do you think it will fit on my ax post alright . i really want one

believe it or not, but i haven't had the chance to ride it yet :lol:!
mine is pretty nasty to install, because it has very unregular "rails"(well, actually these are no rails, but anyways.....). The beams i got from AX fit well on the downside of the "rails", but unfortunately they have to fit on the upside..... and they don't!
I had to modify them: i rounded the edges and increased the groove. I don't know if my saddle is a bad one, but doubt that, because i regulalrly hear people complaining that their becker-saddle doesn't fit the seatpost.

Maybe someone who also owns a saddle can confirm this?
FelixOr
O-C-D WW

Postby Tommy » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:52 pm

2 questions: you had to make the holes in the seatpost bigger to fit the M6, how did you do this, i assume you drilled it? Would it affect the strenth of the seatpost? 2nd: can everybody order the AX beams because I WANT TO TUNE MY POST :grin: :grin:
LESS IS MORE
Tommy
Cat 3

Postby FelixOr » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:59 pm

Tommy wrote:2 questions: you had to make the holes in the seatpost bigger to fit the M6, how did you do this, i assume you drilled it? Would it affect the strenth of the seatpost? 2nd: can everybody order the AX beams because I WANT TO TUNE MY POST :grin: :grin:

hi tommy!
yes, i had to make them bigger, but i didn't drill them. I was afraid it could do some damage.....
i just took a very thin and fine file and increased the diameter of the holes very slowly and carefully.
Everybody can order the beams from AX, you just have to send them an e-mail and ask for them ;)..... they are 18€/beam.
FelixOr
O-C-D WW

Re: Tuned Easton EC90 ZeroOffset

Postby bikericer » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:08 pm

Could you post a picture of the tool you used?
bikericer
Cat 5

Next

Return to General cycling